Photos from Morocco

Gabriel M.A. said:
Wow. Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt are countries on my top list that I'd love to visit. Me jealous. I'll take a look at your photos once I'm done with some mundane stuff that has to be done by noon today.

Tunisia is nice, too. I have been to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said. But Morocco, especially, Marrakech is amazing. Egypt is on my short list too. And Cuba. And Petra. And Cambodia... :)

Absolutely great pictures.

Absolutely great pictures.

I enjoyed seeing everyone of them. There are a few I singled out as outstanding, among them is the one you singled out for us. Thanks for sharing.

ray_g said:
He looked at me with pity, shaking his head, "VERY old camera." Then he looked at my wife, still shaking his head, "Okay, okay... I give you good price" and agreed to my wife's offer. ;)
Ha!! LOL Nice. Yeah, I get that kind of reaction: what a very old camera, it's in great shape, though! Now people are confused, when they see me with the M8, then the M6...it magically switches between film and digital! Or perhaps I'm playing mind games. He he. :angel:

Very nice, Ray.
I returned yesterday from a 10 day trip to Morocco with my family.
I took my two M6's, zeiss 28, 35 lux, and 50 elmar-m and shot a ton of film, Reala, Superia 400 and XP2 BW. (My wife took her Canon 5D and she's already looking at her images..)
I thought Morocco was wonderful country with beautiful, generous people, even if they can be difficult to photograph. As a guide explained, many Moroccans, especially the Berbers, believe that photographs take part of their soul away.
Hopefully- inshallah- I have some good images as well.

Ray, these are fantastic. It is not often I have the patience to go thru an entire show.

Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing.

Hey Ray,

Thanks for posting these. (I'm a little out of the loop -- been flat out with flu for the past week or so.) They are beautiful.

I am going to Morocco next month and have been wondering which cameras to bring (and trying to avoid starting a "what cameras should I bring" thread). What I would like to bring is my M3/50 and a small digital (Panasonic LX2). But I am concerned about damage to my M3, and after my recent experiences also concerned about theft. I would have the "well, it's just a camera and if I don't use it what good is it" attitude about the M3 except that it is literally not replaceable if lost since it was my father's.

I need to bring at least one rangefinder because of the kinds of photos I know I want to take. If I bring the M3 I'll have the best chance of getting what I want since I am most comfortable with this camera, but I could also bring an Olympus 35 SP that will take similar pictures and not throw me into deep mourning if something happens to it.

I may also bring my Holga just for kicks and because it's basically worthless.

I will be working on an archaeological site and spending most of my time in Temara, so I am not going to be living large and not going to be staying in a hotel. Actually, I will be living in a tent, but there will be somewhere secure to keep my camera in a main house. Temara is a beach town near Rabat. I worry about flying sand. I am thinking I need to invest in a real camera bag but geez, then I have to get into the whole "what camera bag" bit in addition to the "which gear should I bring" bit...

I could avoid these headaches and just bring the D70s.

By the way, for those worried about camera theft, I have learned that if you get mugged, they probably aren't going to care what cameras you have. They are just going to take them no matter what they are.

Oh, you are going to have a wonderful time, Melanie. I know your M3 is priceless, but if it is any consolation, I thought Morocco was a very safe place. The people were friendly and hospitable. I would not be afraid of theft, as long as you employ the necessary common sense.

I do not know about Temara itself, but unless you will be going to the Sahara region, flying dust is not an issue either. Your Timbuk2 and Rina case should be sufficient.

Morocco is rich with photo opporunities. Be sure you bring the equipment you like. If and when I pass on my favorite camera to my little girl, I know I would like her to use it.

Have a great trip, and I hope the flu passes soon.

Awesome, Ray!

Just posted a comment on the whole flickr set. Those pictures are just amazing.

I'm glad that you encountered some people who declined to be photographed, because then you end up with interesting subjects without being too cliche.

Back