pixii rangefinder

I think the PIXII incorporates some interesting ideas and industrial design but in 2020 a 12MP APS-C sensor with poor high-ISO performance is not even a minimum viable product, and the pricing is completely nuts. If the pricing was one quarter that stated on their website, it would still be too high for what it is. As for "EU labor costs," if they brought Oskar Baranck back from the dead and had him make this camera by hand, it still wouldn't be worth the asking price.

I fail to understand why anyone who enjoys creative limitations would even consider this camera when there are so many excellent film cameras that do that for very little money. I think an Olympus 35RC or something like that for $120 or whatever they go for nowadays would be a much better buy.

Let's pretend the Pixii does not exist.

And someone says to you, "we're going make an all new Digital rangefinder camera. What would you like to see?"

Who here would have said:

M mount with a 12mp APS-C sensor, with ISO range from 320-1600, with no removable memory cards , with no hot shoe so you can't use flash, no rear screen but you can pair it to your phone, all for $4000?

I miss the Konost...

Konost was just graduating students project. In marketing.

This thread and couple of others made me thinking.
Global shutter, no mechanical shutter could be incorporated in retrofit kits for film M.
We have DIY thread at RFF for this, but I can't remember if it is still using film M shutter.

I wouldn't mind to remove those two cloth flappers and glue with double tape the sensor, electronic shutter on the film plate and have shutter button reconnected to electronic shutter release.
This way no need to waste time and money on service. M body with RF which rarely needs service and the rest is service, CLA free electronics.

Oh, my marketing ploy is to make those sensors different, upgradable if not swapable. Monochrome, color, IR and so on.
I wouldn't mind if Leica would do it. And charge some money for it.

I wonder how the Pixii files will compare

with the 6MP Epson RD

and the 10.3 MP Leica M8

-- both of which seem to still have plenty of fans

I reckon it's got a good set of specs - roughly the same size but lighter than an M, good set of framelines, plenty enough megapixels. I'm not concerned about APS-C, although I used to be once, and the low ISO limitation I'm used to from the M9. If its DNG files are malleable like the M9 than PP will be fine.
What is unknown is the quality of the rangefinder mechanism and its EBL. That will make a difference to its usability and accuracy.
The price might be on the high side, but not if it's a well built machine.

I fail to understand why anyone who enjoys creative limitations would even consider this camera when there are so many excellent film cameras that do that for very little money. I think an Olympus 35RC or something like that for $120 or whatever they go for nowadays would be a much better buy.

There are many who wouldn't touch a film camera again, but want the form factor and feel. Simple.

This camera needs a better sensor to be successful. That's all. Few will spend the money for 12 Mpixel in 2020, not when a Leica CL is available at under $3000 for the body and M mount adapter and has 24 Mpixel with good ISO 6400.

G

There are many who wouldn't touch a film camera again, but want the form factor and feel. Simple.

This camera needs a better sensor to be successful. That's all. Few will spend the money for 12 Mpixel in 2020, not when a Leica CL is available at under $3000 for the body and M mount adapter and has 24 Mpixel with good ISO 6400.

G

Good point about the CL.
It has a fantastic form factor, and the only downside - if one can call it that - is that it does not have an optical VF, just EVF.
The CL works so well, that is the real rival to the Pixii.

Some of the more attractive features:

- Global shutter with max speed of 1/32000th means total silence and ability to shoot at f/1.4 on a sunny day (EV 16).
- You can make your own presets with the DNG color profile editor.
- It sounds like the firmware will be open to 3rd party developers, and maybe it has user-friendly Bluetooth connectivity. This could be the closest thing we've gotten to Thom Hogan's CPM (Communicating, Programmable, Modular) camera.

And the deal breakers for me:

- APS-C sensor and viewfinder only goes to 28mm (42mm-e). I love a normal lens, but I want 35mm to 28mm for things ranging from casual social situations to street/documentary. It's why I never got a Leica CL or Epson R-D1. There needs to be a wide angle version for 21mm and 24mm (32mm-e and 36mm-e) lenses soon. I will die on this minimalist, anti-accessory viewfinder hill.
- $3300 is $1500-2000 too much.

so guys it seems this is close to be finished!
https://www.35mmc.com/08/06/2020/pixii-model-a1112-a-primer/

i really like the idea but only if its in fuji xe price range...

I really, really want to like this, but just, meh.

I get what Hamish is saying about niche products and the joys of limitations (I shoot mechanical film cameras for fun...), but this just seems like such a hodge-podge of conflicting niche's and limitations.

Even in the world of teeny tiny niches, how many people who are interested in a very expensive manual focus M-mount camera with an optical VF, coupled RF, and no screen, are also going to be interested in app-dependancy, global shutter and a poor quality APS sensor?

Even in the world of teeny tiny niches, how many people who are interested in a very expensive manual focus M-mount camera with an optical VF, coupled RF, and no screen, are also going to be interested in app-dependancy, global shutter and a poor quality APS sensor?

Millenials, the people who want tiny houses off the grid, as long as it has high-speed Internet.

I really, really want to like this, but just, meh.

I get what Hamish is saying about niche products and the joys of limitations (I shoot mechanical film cameras for fun...), but this just seems like such a hodge-podge of conflicting niche's and limitations.

I'd imagine it's going to be a limited run of cameras and well sell out to Leica collectors.

A curate’s egg for me…

I applaud another company getting into the rangefinder market… and I like the simple, clean lines of the body but the shutter release looks awkwardly placed, and I’m not over enamoured by a 12MP sensor but then my D90 only had this and turned out some really nice images.

Would like to see through the viewfinder at the rangefinder patch and have more information regards eye relief, body material selection, weight etc. Also, being all electronic, future repairs are a concern. Does it use a commonly available battery? Would like to see one in the flesh and handle it with my 35 and 50mm Summicrons.

However, regrettably, ultimately not for me simply due to cost.

I'd imagine it's going to be a limited run of cameras and well sell out to Leica collectors.

I agree. There are a lot of well heeled M mount camera collectors out there who are more interested in uniqueness than performance, and this is quite a unique camera.

Price aside, the X-Pro and this are two different types of cameras.

Different in the fact the pixii uses an optical RF.

The XP3 has the hidden screen, OVF, can use Leica lenses (far more of them in fact as it has optical frame lines down to 23/35mm equivalent - the pixii is only 35mm? - then can use the EVF for anything else), AF, bluetooth, 24mp current sensor, mechanical and e-shutter, customizable film mode presets etc etc.

The raison d'être of the pixii is that outside Leica it is the only Digital RF camera.
It is a novelty piece.

Different in the fact the pixii uses an optical RF.

The XP3 has the hidden screen, OVF, can use Leica lenses (far more of them in fact as it has optical frame lines down to 23/35mm equivalent - the pixii is only 35mm? - then can use the EVF for anything else), AF, bluetooth, 24mp current sensor, mechanical and e-shutter, customizable film mode presets etc etc.

The raison d'être of the pixii is that outside Leica it is the only Digital RF camera.
It is a novelty piece.

You don’t have to sell me on the X-Pro... they are my favorite cameras ever. I’ve been using them for 8+ years. Still it does not have an optical rangefinder and that differentiates the Pixii.

Back