Pixii vs RD1 vs M8 / 8.2

But I was seeing people in their later 20s (20s being 20-29) as possibly buying one. In place of a second hand sports car or with the money they had saved for a round-the-world trip they now won't take.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/12/03/precariousness-modern-young-adulthood-one-chart/

As an older Millennial (and one living in probably the wealthiest enclave of my generation in the U.S.), I had a bit of a chuckle reading about the hipsters with "cash to splash". Counting out the trust fund kids, Millennials and Gen Z are generally broke and fiscally paranoid even when they do have money; according to Forbes the majority of Millennials have less than $1000 in savings, I can only imagine Gen Z will be even worse. The primary concern for the vast majority of us is how to scrape enough cash together for our boomer landlords at by the first of the month. I doubt this camera is for us.

I thought all the hipsters are shooting film these days. Am I back to being a fuddy-duddy luddite with my 35mm film cameras?

Going back to the threads title - I'm sure the PIXII will be a better performer than an RD-whatever or an M8.2, but that's not exactly setting the bar high.

No kidding. Posing the question asking if a new digital camera can match up to one from 16 years ago...

12mp doesn't stop me, APS-c doesn't stop me, lack of an LCD on the back doesn't stop me. What stops me is having to use the phone for an interface. Every phone app system I've used, back up camera on my motorhome, remote interface to my RV systems and a few others I can't remember off the top of what's left of my head have all been at best quirky and at worst non functional. Give us a standard interface directly to a computer and a more modern sensor and we might be able to talk.

I don't think I've ever seen a camera manufacturer's app for interfacing with their cameras crack over 3 out 5 star ratings on either the App Store or Google Play. Leica Fotos app is rated 1.8. I seriously doubt a tiny company like PIXII could do any better.

The Pixii is way out of my price range, but it provides some evidence for my theory/hope that the future of photography for us gear heads is niche camera makers. The counter argument is that it's just too expensive for the limited production run, but none of the naysayers ever has any actual data on production costs. If people will pay $800 for a used Fuji ZI, maybe it's time for another limited run? Only next time with a wider zoom range, ha ha!

12mp doesn't stop me, APS-c doesn't stop me, lack of an LCD on the back doesn't stop me. What stops me is having to use the phone for an interface. Every phone app system I've used, back up camera on my motorhome, remote interface to my RV systems and a few others I can't remember off the top of what's left of my head have all been at best quirky and at worst non functional. Give us a standard interface directly to a computer and a more modern sensor and we might be able to talk.

I just got an rx100m3 last week, and so far i like it enough. The thought "why don't they just let me make phone calls with this?" occurred to me. If you built a phone around a camera, rather than the other way around, I'd be very interested. I'm not ungrateful for the iphone, but it's no camera.

I just got an rx100m3 last week, and so far i like it enough. The thought "why don't they just let me make phone calls with this?" occurred to me. If you built a phone around a camera, rather than the other way around, I'd be very interested. I'm not ungrateful for the iphone, but it's no camera.

The problem is who would make such a thing? The iPhone is already the most commercially successful camera ever made (at least judging by its total dominance in Flickr stats). Apple has no incentive to make a camera with phone features, since their phone with camera features already totally dominates both markets.

In fact, Panasonic tried a camera/phone hybrid about five years ago. The CM1: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-cm1-camera-review. Even a 1″ sensor and Leica-branded lens were not enough to make an impact on the market. The CM1 didn't even get a toehold in the marketplace.

The problem is who would make such a thing? The iPhone is already the most commercially successful camera ever made (at least judging by its total dominance in Flickr stats). Apple has no incentive to make a camera with phone features, since their phone with camera features already totally dominates both markets.

In fact, Panasonic tried a camera/phone hybrid about five years ago. The CM1: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-cm1-camera-review. Even a 1″ sensor and Leica-branded lens were not enough to make an impact on the market. The CM1 didn't even get a toehold in the marketplace.

first part: Sony could add the cell phone feature to their rx line. I really just need something that makes calls in case of emergencies. If it had texting, email, and a web browser, I'd be sold.

Second part: But that's still a cell phone... no finder? so thin?

Last edited:
first part: Sony could add the cell phone feature to their rx line. I really just need something that makes calls in case of emergencies. If it had texting, email, and a web browser, i'd be sold.

Second part: But that's still a cell phone... no finder? so thin?

Yes, how would Sony do that? They would have to BOTH get Android running on the RX100 and make the software that runs the RX100 work on Android. Seems like it would be a whole lot of R&D to create a very niche market product. I do not think very many people would want a smartphone with a 3″ screen in 2020, even if it is an awesome camera.

Yes, how would Sony do that? They would have to BOTH get Android running on the RX100 and make the software that runs the RX100 work on Android. Seems like it would be a whole lot of R&D to create a very niche market product. I do not think very many people would want a smartphone with a 3″ screen in 2020, even if it is an awesome camera.

It’s just a desire item. But for the sake of argument- why would it need android? It just needs a cell module. Already has WiFi and microphone and speaker. And Sony probably has a web browser already developed (never used any but there is probably a handheld Sony PlayStation game thing that can already do this.) looks like the rx can install apps already as well, so the groundwork is laid?

It’s just a desire item. But for the sake of argument- why would it need android? It just needs a cell module. Already has WiFi and microphone and speaker. And Sony probably has a web browser already developed (never used any but there is probably a handheld Sony PlayStation game thing that can already do this.) looks like the rx can install apps already as well, so the groundwork is laid?

I should add, the reason I brought it up is because of this pixii that uses a phone as an interface , is a rangefinder, and costs $3k. Now that is niche

My Light L16 is actually an Android device. And it works quite well, both as a camera and as a browser when traveling.

G

I am hoping they could achieve success from the bottom of my heart since Leica is the only left player in the digital Rangefinder market. For a long time, I hoped that EPSON could return to this market. An R-D1 series camera with a full-frame sensor. Sounds cool, right? Meanwhile, I highly doubt how many people would fall into that niche market and have the money to splash on this 12MP sensor APSC sensor camera in 2020. If it is full frame and asking under $6000, I will be very tempting to get one.

Kevin

I had hoped that Zeiss would return to the rangefinder market with a digital Ikon, with a full frame sensor at maybe half the cost of a digital M. I think, however, that the ZX1 (though it appears to be vaporware this far) strongly indicates Zeiss has no intention of producing a digital rangefinder.

That's a fair point; I had forgotten Sony has some form of an app store for at least some of their cameras. (I'm not into their system.) However, it just seems inevitable to me that feature creep would ruin such a camera before it ever got off the drawing board. Once you have a cellular connection, people are going to want to post to Instagram and all of the other social networks directly from the camera. Then, they are going to want to edit their photos before posting. No one is going to want to edit photos on a 3″ screen, so now the marketing department will want the engineers to figure out a way to graft a 6″ screen onto the back of an RX type camera.

Curious that Zeiss hasn't got the ZX1 into production or onto the market yet. I wonder if something like that is going on with that camera.

Back