Point and Shoot AF Classics - post yours

Can you still get APS film processed? And can you even buy it anymore? I know here in South Carolina it's next to impossible to find as it's been discontinued... APS cameras are CHEAP now...
If you have a local Target store, check with them to see if they still develop APS. The local Target and the Hy-Vee pharmacy here still do.

3299152117_687e3b01a7_o.jpg
Nice to see this one pop up... it's one of my favorite cameras and one of the few I'd never sell.

What a fantastic idea for a thread!

Here are some of my P'n'S AF cams...
/QUOTE]

I have a Coolpix 950 as well. To transfer images off it nowdays, you can use a card reader.

I'm a fan of the early C-series Oly cameras-I own a C-2000 (f2 3x zoom) and C-2040 (f1.8 3x zoom) and a C-920.

The C-2000 has a standard PC sync socket for external flashes, whereas some later models in the series had a propriety Olympus flash socket.

After comparing our Leica film and digital holiday snaps I just bought a very nice Rollei AFM 35 and a Ricoh GR1S. Fantastic performance full frame compacts.Whenever I see those rich colours I feel great that I've gone back to film.

View attachment 87261

After comparing our Leica film and digital holiday snaps I just bought a very nice Rollei AFM 35 and a Ricoh GR1S. Fantastic performance full frame compacts.Whenever I see those rich colours I feel great that I've gone back to film.

View attachment 87261

Oh man... I've always wanted a GR film camera. I recently purchased a Fuji Klasse (the Fuji version of the Rollei you got) and it's seriously one of my favorite cameras that I've ever owned. I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime in the near future. Maybe not ever.

Great cameras!

View attachment 87261

Well I recall saying a bit back that I'd never part with my GR1v. After seeing the pics from my AFM35, I sold the GR1v on ebay. Strangely enough, I don't feel any regret. The AFM35 is amazing!!!

"This might be one of the best kept secrets ever.."

Years ago I owned a Nikon L35AF, and it took great photos. As I recall, though, mine was LOUD. So perhaps the "best kept secret" would just be when you weren't actually shooting. :)

"This might be one of the best kept secrets ever.."

Years ago I owned a Nikon L35AF, and it took great photos. As I recall, though, mine was LOUD. So perhaps the "best kept secret" would just be when you weren't actually shooting. :)

Ha! Yeah, its not real stealthy... However, IQ wise its great. Ill take it over the Yashica t4 for the $170+\- savings. I got mine for $5.00 and they sell for $15-$30 on "the bay" all day long. If i want stealth, i can use my Hexar AF. I don't think you can get much better IQ for what you pay for these guys. I suppose an alternative would be a Oly stylus epic but you are still looking at $50+.

Please let me know if there is anything as good, as cheap and easy to find...I think I have room for a couple more cameras on my shelf ;)

Yashica 35-ME, anyone? Small and neat with zone focusing and a sharp 38mm f/2.8 lens.

I'm in with ME-1, same specs but slightly different body (bottom and top covers are made of plastic) and left thumb advance wheel is superior to right top advance lever :)

I suppose an alternative would be a Oly stylus epic but you are still looking at $50+.

Please let me know if there is anything as good, as cheap and easy to find...I think I have room for a couple more cameras on my shelf ;)

My experience with the Stylus Epic(mjuII where I hale from) is that it's not up to the L35AF. I own two of the Nikons plus one L35AF2 and I've owned two mjuII's and two original mju's and the Nikons win for me. As Sharp but with better color. The Nikons are noisy, but I can live with that. Price on the Nikons is unbelievable for what you get. Much better value than the Olympus mjuII or Yashica T4/T5.

My experience with the Stylus Epic(mjuII where I hale from) is that it's not up to the L35AF. I own two of the Nikons plus one L35AF2 and I've owned two mjuII's and two original mju's and the Nikons win for me. As Sharp but with better color. The Nikons are noisy, but I can live with that. Price on the Nikons is unbelievable for what you get. Much better value than the Olympus mjuII or Yashica T4/T5.

I liked the Mju II. It wasn't anything that I couldn't live without, but it was good. I've never had the Nikon, but I had a similar Canon and it was comparable to the Mju II. My experience with the Yashica T4/T4 Super was ho hum. I shot a few rolls with a T4D and a T4 Super and was kind of surprised at how mundane they were.

Maybe all the T4 images on Flickr are coming from people who have stellar copies of the camera or from people who are processing the heck out of their negatives before posting, but I was let down.

There are other cameras that are as good or better than the T4.

Have you ever considered the Konica Big Mini cameras? I have a Big Mini HG that I really enjoy shooting with. It's a little funky to get used to with its tiny little buttons, but I love mine and I got it for a little under $50 I think. You can get them cheaper, but mine was a really good copy and I bought it from someone I trusted from one of the forums (APUG).

You also might try a Pentax Espio Mini if you can find one. I bought Oliver's and it's a great little camera. And no, Oliver, if you're reading this, you can't have it back. :D

Ha! Yeah, its not real stealthy... However, IQ wise its great. Ill take it over the Yashica t4 for the $170+\- savings. I got mine for $5.00 and they sell for $15-$30 on "the bay" all day long. If i want stealth, i can use my Hexar AF. I don't think you can get much better IQ for what you pay for these guys. I suppose an alternative would be a Oly stylus epic but you are still looking at $50+.

The easy answer is the Nikon L35AF2 (One Touch) and L35AF3 (One Touch Macro), both have great Nikon lenses, but are less prone to vignetting than the original.

But there are many other very good (and cheap!!!) cameras with the 35/2.8 configuration. I really am impressed with the Ricoh compacts (FF-90/FF-70 and FF-3AF), but the camera that surprises me the most with its IQ is the Konica MT-11, it is probably the most similar to the Nikons in design, ergonomics, and construction ... and, to be honest, noise level. But they are not really that noisy, not like a jackhammer or anything like that.

What I find most surprising is that people are shocked at all about the lens and image quality of many of these early compacts. They were the logical descendants of the compact fixed-lens rangefinders (an evolutionary step forward when you consider their ease of use), and were intended to fill the same niche in the market. It's not like the camera manufacturers forgot how to make quality lenses when they stopped selling rangefinders. These were excellent cameras when they were introduced, and are still excellent cameras today.

Last edited:
What I find most surprising is that people are shocked at all about the lens and image quality of many of these early compacts.

Absolutely bang on! I've just stripped down a Canon MC that had fungus in the middle lens elements and the shutter wasn't tripping. It has a real glass lens. No plastic imitation in there!!! I cleaned the fungus out successfully but unfortunately couldn't bring it back to life. I have another though...

You just reminded me that I'm yet to put a film through my MT-11.

Paul

I liked the Mju II. It wasn't anything that I couldn't live without, but it was good. I've never had the Nikon, but I had a similar Canon and it was comparable to the Mju II. My experience with the Yashica T4/T4 Super was ho hum. I shot a few rolls with a T4D and a T4 Super and was kind of surprised at how mundane they were.

Maybe all the T4 images on Flickr are coming from people who have stellar copies of the camera or from people who are processing the heck out of their negatives before posting, but I was let down.

There are other cameras that are as good or better than the T4.

I had two T-4's. One was taking great snaps, the other one not so great. I ended up selling both for rediculusly high amount of money on that site. The L35AF which i also have gave me sharper pictures - IMHO it is a much better camera than the T-4. My all time favourite is the Fuji DL Supermini though.

I had two T-4's. One was taking great snaps, the other one not so great. I ended up selling both for rediculusly high amount of money on that site. The L35AF which i also have gave me sharper pictures - IMHO it is a much better camera than the T-4. My all time favourite is the Fuji DL Supermini though.

I've just got my pics back from my Fuji DL Supermini Zoom. Astounding! Sharp with fantastic rich color. I used to have the none zoom version years ago which I stupidly sold. When a beat up zoom version came up on the Bay I snapped it up for £17. The zoom sounds like it's about to die a horrible death, but still works. My first film was processed by Costco and was all washed out. I suspected the camera was hosed or Costco had old developer. It has taken me about a year to try again. This time Jessops developed it and the pics are amazing. Night and day compared the the one's developed by Costco. Same film type(Fuji) both times and both films well within expiry date. So I now know the answer to the Costco quandry!!! Thing is, no matter how good the film or the camera is, if the place processing messes it up then the results will ALWAYS be poor.

Even beat up, this camera astounds. I've love to snaffle a mint one...

Paul

Back