Polaroid 800 4x5 Conversion

picture-4.png

Here's a closeup of mine. I used two-component epoxy to fasten the spring. Keytar's springs are more powerful, so they require a stronger latch than mine. His solution looks very sturdy. But the pressure given by my spring is sufficient to keep the film holder in place without leaks.

Do any of you fellow tinkerers have an extra lens board for the Polaroid 800 lying around? I'd like to try my Ektar lens, but I don't want to do anything I might regret to the one I have.

The rangefinder still needs some serious calibration (and my ground glass is broken soo I don't know when or how that will happen) but for all intensive purposes it's done! It's been a fun ride.

5998666276_5753f8f41c_b.jpg

I'll post some actual photos when I'm home!

Just take a spare 4x5 film holder ( a junker), remove both dark slides and cut a square out of the center plate with a Dremel. Sand the edges and tape a piece of frosted mylar (from any art store) over the new square cut out. The mylar is frosted exactly like ground glass and sits directly on the film plane. Make sure the holder is inserted with the mylar side toward the lens and you'll be able to calibrate things perfectly.

Just take a spare 4x5 film holder ( a junker), remove both dark slides and cut a square out of the center plate with a Dremel. Sand the edges and tape a piece of frosted mylar (from any art store) over the new square cut out. The mylar is frosted exactly like ground glass and sits directly on the film plane. Make sure the holder is inserted with the mylar side toward the lens and you'll be able to calibrate things perfectly.

Unfortunately I'm on the road and don't have access to any tools or mylar. I built a ground-glass focusing screen out of a darkslide but managed to crack it. I think it's still properly aligned though, so maybe I'll keep using it.

This old thread now resurrected thank to John is very intriguing, you guys have a special ability of which I'm a little envious! I'll never be able to do something like that! Compliments!

Nice photo John, show more please!

robert

Back