Polaroid cameras - is it worth buying one?

Sergey

Local time
5:07 PM
I just got to college and I'm having a spurt of creativity. Part of this is a new appreciation for lomography and polaroid photos.

I would really like to get myself a nice Polaroid camera off Ebay and start snapping pictures, but if there will be no film available one year from now, I'm not sure I want to even make the investment.

Is there any point in starting polaroid photography if the company decided to quit producing film? Or are there going to be alternative sources to buy film from? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure which models you are looking at, but fuji still makes a lot of film for Polaroid cameras. My favorites are the pack film cameras... especially for b&w... very cool... we're talking $5 cameras... why not just try one and if it becomes useless in the near future... well... you lost $5... big whoop!

:)

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about getting an SX-70 camera for color photo. To me, it is the discoloration that is appealing about how the photos turn out.

If fujifilm still make film for an SX-70 I would be extremely pleased, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'll read about it online.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about getting an SX-70 camera for color photo. To me, it is the discoloration that is appealing about how the photos turn out.

If fujifilm still make film for an SX-70 I would be extremely pleased, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'll read about it online.

I think you're getting some really irresponsible advice. Fuji does not make any film that is compatible with the SX-70. The SX-70 can be converted to use Polaroid 600 film, I am told, but nothing by Fuji, and Polaroid, as people appear to be unclear on, is bankrupt and has ceased operations concerning all instant film.

The SX-70 has reached the collectible status, though its cost will be below that of one of your text books. As for film it probably will be available on the secondary market. IMHO you are probably better off with the lomo. There are several versions available and film for it is still being produced.

integral films (600, 779, sx70, time zero) are no longer made and there are no plans for anyone to start making it in polaroid's absence, so if you buy an sx70 (or any integral camera) you're gonna have to stock up on film while it's available. soon even the freshest integral film will be expired.

pack film, however, is still being made by fuji while polapremium (formerly unsaleable.com) is looking into the feasability of starting their own pack film production line. the 450, 350 and 250 packfilm models are nice because they have zeiss built rangefinders for easy focusing. check out the land list website for more info on just about every polaroid camera ever made.

What you need is...
A Polaroid 550 and/or Polaroid 405 holder. The 550 allows 4"x5" film while the 405 holder accepts 3 1/4"x4 1/4" film.
A 4x5 camera with a Graflok/International back.
Fuji Instant material. Freestyle, B&H Photo, etc. sell the Fuji products.
GOOGLE knows all of this.

The safest bet is to buy a camera that is compatible with fuji instant film. You might want to check out www.toycamera.com (which is down at the moment). There is a member there who is very knowledgeable on Polaroids.

What you need is...
A Polaroid 550 and/or Polaroid 405 holder. The 550 allows 4"x5" film while the 405 holder accepts 3 1/4"x4 1/4" film.
A 4x5 camera with a Graflok/International back.
Fuji Instant material. Freestyle, B&H Photo, etc. sell the Fuji products.
GOOGLE knows all of this.

Google also knows, but a new college student like the O/P might not, that a Polaroid SX-70 like he was talking about buying works with none of those things. No Fuji products will work with an SX-70. I read his post and follow up question, and that's what I was attempting to answer.

I knew that. I also know that I have all of the above ready to go at the house including a box of fresh Fuji 4x5 color print material.

I mourn the loss of Polaroid Type 55 P/N film. Corporate raiders, GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! Hanging would be too good for them.

I knew that. I also know that I have all of the above ready to go at the house including a box of fresh Fuji 4x5 color print material.

I mourn the loss of Polaroid Type 55 P/N film. Corporate raiders, GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! Hanging would be too good for them.

I'm hip. I paid a lot for a 545i holder a few years back, only ran one box of film through it. Argh.

I recently bought an Automatic 100, $20, it is RF, glass lens, but big. I got it to compliment my ColorPack II which I paid $29.95 for in 1970. I wanted the RF feature. I use only Fuji pack film these days (still being made) and really enjoy it. I also got the Portrait attachment which is linked to the RF and works great (I guess to answer your question; yes for me it is more than worth it):

3076276778_cb4270f403.jpg

Last edited:
Polaroid aren't making SX70 film any more, true, but these guys are: http://www.sx70blend.com/

no, they're not. the sx70 blend was basically 600 film with a 2 stop nd filter on top of the film. it was made by polaroid and distributed by unsaleable.com.

bottom line - no one is making film for 600/sx70 cameras. the only film you can buy for these cameras is either expired or last time production runs, that's it. no more 600 or sx70 film.

The allure of the SX70... was the Time Zero film

The allure of the SX70... was the Time Zero film

Artistic persons wanted the SX70 for the Time Zero film which left some time in the developing process for manipulating the image. This made the SX70 very popular.

I believe the Time Zero film ceased production quite a long time ago and the later SX70 films and Blend were not in the same artistic camp (did not allow the image manipulation for some time after the shutter click).

I'd be surprised if you could find any of the film that made the SX70 so popular, regardless of "Old Stock" or whatever Fuji is still making that will fit the camera.

Therefore, other than compact size folded down, the SX70 seems to have no real advantage over other pack film cameras.

Back