Polaroid cameras - is it worth buying one?

No, they are not. Did you follow the link and read it?
My apologies.
I thought that the SX70 Blend was made by a different company (a group of Danish, I believe, gents) who had bought the manufacturing rights. My memory must be a bit hazy.

what's a good camera for the current fuji pack film?
preferably something small

there are no "small" pack film cameras, but a lot of them have collapsible bellows and a built in hard cover, which helps make them a little more discrete. since the print is so large (in comparison with most film formats) the lens needs to be so far from the film, which kinda limits how small the cameras can be. when collapsed, they're a little smaller than a lunchbox. there were numerous folding pack film cameras made and the land list describes their features.

One option

One option

what's a good camera for the current fuji pack film?
preferably something small

I use my Polaroid holders: 545, 550 & 405, in a Speed Graphic. The combination works well for me. The Speed Graphic can also use sheet film and roll film (120/220) holders. A very verstile system.

Link to the land list:

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landhome.htm

Pack film cameras are incredibly good fun, there are a lot of models, some of them cheap and plastic, but some with nice good rangefinders and good glass lenses. I had a Polaroid 180, and enjoyed it a lot. The only negative is that the film is very expensive (about 1 euro per exposure) and obviously not every picture turns out great so it isn't very economical. I guess film is probably a lot cheaper in the US, though, and they are worth trying out at least.

I have also had a SX-70 in the past, and although in the long term it won't be possible to get film for it, I think it might be worth getting one just to run a pack or two through it. They have good lenses, focus very close, and fold up incredibly elegantly for what is effectively a medium format camera. It's a design masterpiece and I think it is worth using one while you still can.

Most other polaroid cameras are not worth buying for photography, the same goes for the Fuji Instax series (for which film is still available at least in Europe, they are similar to the cheaper, newer polaroid cameras). They are fun at parties, but nothing special as cameras.

Maybe, and it's a big maybe, the Polaroid 110A and/or 110B cameras will accept the Fujifilm 3 1/4x41/4 film packs. you have to do your homework and research the Fujifilm question.

Right now there is one of each, 110A and 110B, for sale at the Large Format Photography Forum.

Sounds like...

Sounds like...

...Most other polaroid cameras are not worth buying for photography, the same goes for the Fuji Instax series (for which film is still available at least in Europe, they are similar to the cheaper, newer polaroid cameras). They are fun at parties, but nothing special as cameras.

...an instant film Holga. :D

Polaroid cameras to get?

Why... this one of course :D

3111511582_6d182ef331.jpg

this below was taken by my toddler daughter:

3137001993_79a3764b16.jpg

she loves that thing... :D

But seriously, find one of these:

3103440227_8a38449557.jpg

You'll love it, no batteries needed, Tomioka lens, all good RF fun, and it takes Fuji packfilm as well.

3137001875_a1d7a38de4.jpg

I can second buying the Polaroid 180/190/195 cameras. Expensive, but much faster lenses, full manual control and if you don't like it you'll almost certainly get the purchase price back when you sell it. I used my 180 a lot and made quite a big profit when I sold it on.

Or, as a cheaper option, a Polaroid back on a MF camera, if you have access to one?

Sweet. I have the same general setup. However, the Linhof and Heliar makes my Speed Graphic and 127mm Ektar seem somehow inferior.

None, actually. But it does accept Quickloads and Readyloads.

Yep, I was aware of that. For a moment, I had a brief glimmer of hope that someone had figured out a way to use Fuji instant film in the 545 back, and my investment in a 545 a few years ago would not be wasted. I know I can use the non-instant film in it, but I have holders for non-instant film that work better than the clunky 545 back. I wanted instant...sad is the world...

Back