Post Your Local Occupy Wall Street Protest Photos Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Roger. These photos simply are not powerful, and evoke little emotion. And my reply to Nicktrop was in response to his obvious assumption that they do exactly that.

And, while I agree that some of his photos show little true "passion", I find it amazing that you would place Nicktrop in the company of Willie Ronis (at least based on the posted shots). But people view things differently, and have different standards of first class.

Different pictures evoke different reactions from different people. I don't agree with you.

As someone else said, the best of these pictures convey the sense of being there. This is, for me, the hallmark of great photography of this genre. You can also see people's expressions: resignation, wry humour, all kinds of things. Of course, life is (as the somewhat xenophobic French proverb says) like a Spanish inn: you get from it only what you bring to it.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different pictures evoke different reactions from different people. I don't agree with you.

As someone else said, the best of these pictures convey the sense of being there. This is, for me, the hallmark of great photography of this genre. You can also see people's expressions: resignation, wry humour, all kinds of things. Of course, life is (as the somewhat xenophobic French proverb says) like a Spanish inn: you get from it only what you bring to it.

Cheers,

R.

I never said that the photos didn't give the sense of being there; it's just that the "there" seems to be somewhere kinda bland. Again, no reflection on the photos themselves. I don't doubt they do the best job possible of giving that "being there" feel, much as a lot of cat photos could be said to give the sense of being in someone's back yard while the pet grooms herself. Sense of being there- accomplished; iconic photography, not so much.

Feel free to start a topic in the off topic forum?

I think this thread would be better if it were just for the photos, but it's not my thread. So...

I think this is pretty much to the point. Some how, and obviously it is not easy in this situation, a discussion of the photos here, the topic of protest and the validity of photographing protests is fine.

Discussions about any specific political topic need to be in the OT forum. But remember that even there you have to treat each other with respect. No doubt you are going to disagree with someone in such a discussion, just remember that your opinion is just as wrong as theirs in their eyes, so find the line where you will simply have to disagree, without getting into an ugly argument over something which isn't going to be solved over the internet.

Nick has done a great job photographing this, uh....whatever it is.

As far as putting this into context, the whole thing is incomprehensible so I don't get much out of it. Tempest in a teapot? Airheads? Screwballs? Who knows?:p They sure as hell don't and neither do I.

Great job Nick!:)

As for Nick's (or anyone's) photographs in comparison to Ronis's photography, only time will tell if this contemporary work achieves "iconic" status.

My comment about the comparison of the OP's shots to iconic photography of Ronis as inspiration is simply a reflection of my opinion that it is hyperbole.

I never said that the photos didn't give the sense of being there; it's just that the "there" seems to be somewhere kinda bland. Again, no reflection on the photos themselves. I don't doubt they do the best job possible of giving that "being there" feel, much as a lot of cat photos could be said to give the sense of being in someone's back yard while the pet grooms herself. Sense of being there- accomplished; iconic photography, not so much.

I do not hold Nick up as a second Willy Ronis. I merely suggest that his best pictures stand comparison with many of Willy's political pictures. Deserved praise, yes, but hardly hyperbole. Seeing M. Ronis's retrospective at Arles in 2010 (with the great man present) prompted me to buy my first book of his work, and I stand by my observations of Nick's pìctures.

A major difference, of course, is that Nick's pictures are not comfortably in the past, or (for those who do not live in France) comfortably in another country. They have, therefore, the power to say something immediate, and painful to those who do not agree with them, instead of being substantially irrelevant in any political sense. Many were unhappy with Willy's pictures when he was young and they were raw and fresh.

Cheers,

R.

i-J8qHTMR-XL.jpg

Lovely shot, but it could be almost anything. To me, as I said earlier, the best shots convey the passion of the protesters (usually via slogans on placards) and complement that with their expressions.

Cheers,

R.

I take what I can get. lomo lca camera. Not trying to do anything but shoot. I think it has a vibe I like. I agree with you but I am trying not to think too much.

I find it kind of odd to see censorship going on in an art-geared forum.

I guess I'll have to rewrite my snide remark on a sign, take a photo of it and post it here... :angel:

we are not a political forum...discuss the art not the politics...or go to a polital forum, post some pics and talk about whatever you please.

just keep your snide comments to yourself.

I take what I can get. lomo lca camera. Not trying to do anything but shoot. I think it has a vibe I like. I agree with you but I am trying not to think too much.

Not trying to do anything but shoot -- Yes, but you have to decide where to point the camera and when to press the button. What else is shooting?

it has a vibe I like. I like it too. It has, as you say, a good vibe. But is it really a pìcture of "Occupy Wall Street"? It's a comment on other levels, other subjects.

I am trying not to think too much -- Why? What's wrong with thinking?

Cheers,

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back