post your sony rx100 images

I can appreciate your preemptive shot and photographic concern about the RX100 ability to capture her left hand after a shiny rock landed on her ring finger causing all sorts of havoc with contrast and dynamic range.

I think the RX100 will be able to handle the DR - which will be handy, since it won't be her camera anymore, but "ours" :p

A couple from my bike ride this morning:

U6887I1391870690.SEQ.1.jpg

U6887I1391870691.SEQ.2.jpg

Nice set Rezinator - the RX100 continues to delight.

I like your B&W conversions... particularly on No. 2 (the truck). Are these straight OOC? If not, what did you use for Raw/B&W conversion?

tbhv55, thanks.
I shot everything in RAW and converted to B&W in LR5.
Believe it was the Mad Max 3200 preset with slight exposure compensation.

Like the camera for ease of carry, but sometimes images look pretty flat.

The old mill/ the old miller.
The building is registered since 1446, for the same family. I didn´t ask the miller´s age, he was married in 1955, and in 1959 they finally got electricity of their own making. His daughters renovated the mill in 2011, afaik there are no more children in the familiy line. I´ll explore that, I was invited to come back with my "real" camera. I´ll do this with Tri-X.....

U7147I1400094497.SEQ.1.jpg

U7147I1400094497.SEQ.0.jpg

All in all, I´m not satisfied with the RX100. The display is just horrible in bright light, the menus are far from perfect, and the iq is not as I was hoping for....

All in all, I´m not satisfied with the RX100. The display is just horrible in bright light, the menus are far from perfect, and the iq is not as I was hoping for....

A lot of that is subjective, but I have to ask specifically about the display.

Do you have WhiteMagic enabled? The RX100 (any Sony with WhiteMagic for that matter) is by far and away the best bright sun display available, IMHO, of course.

Everything of my writing is subjective.
I just prefer shooting with optical viewfinders. I bought the RX100 because I wanted something really small.
The RX 100 is my only camera with display view only. I didn´t know one has to enable "Whitemagic". I´ll search it, thanks for the hint!

MENU -> 1 -> LCD Brightness

Set to: Sunny Weather

I set mine fairly soon after unboxing and never changed it! It makes all the difference in the world!

U7147I1400133733.SEQ.1.jpg

RX100

U7147I1400133732.SEQ.0.jpg

M9

Both shots are made in RAW, tripod, same aperture, basic iso, standard import in Lightroom, no tweaking whatsoever, exported as jpegs in maximum quality, pictures show centers in 100%.
I never did a 1:1 comparison before, maybe I´m just spoilt by the M9, but I always miss the brilliance in the RX100 pics.

What bugs me a lot is that you loose the "custom set" function when you take WB on the "Fn"- button. Or am I just too stupid?

Both shots are made in RAW, tripod, same aperture, basic iso, standard import in Lightroom, no tweaking whatsoever, exported as jpegs in maximum quality, pictures show centers in 100%.
I never did a 1:1 comparison before, maybe I´m just spoilt by the M9, but I always miss the brilliance in the RX100 pics.
While it's easy to accept that the M9's IQ will comfortably exceed that of the Sony (M9 sensor = 23.9 x 35.8mm vs. RX100 sensor = 13.2 x 8.8mm... i.e. 7.36x the area), I honestly think that you're not getting the best out of the Sony, if you're not doing, at least, some post-processing on the Raw files. Even if you don't enjoy PP, you could simply set up a custom LR preset that would improve your results from the camera each time.

The RX100 has always impressed me with the quality of its output, and my FF comparator (Canon 5D) certainly doesn't fit in my pocket...! ;)

What bugs me a lot is that you loose the "custom set" function when you take WB on the "Fn"- button. Or am I just too stupid?

I don't understand your description of this problem - if you would you explain further, I'd be happy to try and help resolve it, if I can.:)

Thank you, very nice!

In the WB menu there is a function "custom set", i.e., one can measure WB manually from a grey card or a white sheet. That is the only WB function I use besides Automatic.

When I lay the WB on the quick menu "Fn"- button, the "custom set" function is simply non existent, all I could do manually is adjust via Kelvin scale. So for WB measurement on the gray card I have to dive into the large main menu again. ?

I don´t mind PP at all, I just don´t see a way to drastically improve the results.

Now, thank you for the kicks! After a couple of days of fighting with the menus of the cam and working out some kind of camera profile in Lightroom, the results are getting better.
.... I still don´t love the camera, but consider it as semi-usable ;-)

U7147I1400484835.SEQ.2.jpg

U7147I1400484834.SEQ.1.jpg

Back