Rangefinder Stereo Cameras

Well. I've overlooked this thread for a while. Oh what I missed.

Now, I have to go dig out one of my stereoscopes to enjoy it. Thanks guys!:rolleyes:

Well. I've overlooked this thread for a while. Oh what I missed.

Now, I have to go dig out one of my stereoscopes to enjoy it. Thanks guys!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been meaning to get out and do more stereo shots, but paying work has gotten in the way. Hate when that happens :)

I hope to get back up to Gettysburg soon, but here's one from Antietam. With the Sterelux:

Burnside Bridge Sterelux Stereo
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Burnside Bridge Sterelux Stereo Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Got my hands on a non-functional Stereo Realist. It was very easy to repair... quite an ingenious brick of a camera. One side seems to have a faint leak.

sign by Olivier, on Flickr

A colorized version of a shot I did last year. With the Lumiere Sterelux.

New York Regiment Stereo1 Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I really love this camera - only thing is that the frame pairs have very little space between them, making for a bit of a tight fit at the edges in the Skier scanning box. I think what I should do in future is not cut the negs in order to ensure film flatness.

Today I called into the WW1 Gallipoli exhibition in the national museum here in Wellington, New Zealand and there was a French Jules Richard stereo camera on display. An associated video exhibition included (gruesome) stereo images taken from the camera on the battlefield, that could be viewed using 3d glasses. The images were fantastic and absorbing.

20220718_152323.jpg

At roughly $50 to shoot and mount a roll of slides.....mine are all shelf queens now.

A stereo viewer for prints might be a less expensive option. I'm experimenting with cheap prints from 35mm scans that I'll mount on cardboard. Though I'm finding the "matt" finish is still too glossy, I need a zero gloss print ideally. 20220720_105436.jpg

Woo it's been a minute since I've done anything stereo-related. I managed to develop a roll of HP5 that's been sitting around for over a year, and lo and behold it was a roll from my Nil Melior stereo camera.

L'Hermitage
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

L'Hermitage Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I've been going through my stereo camera inventory and will likely be thinning the herd in 2023. Right now I have two Nil Meliors, one 6x13 Heidoscop, A 6x13 Voigtlander Stereflektoscop, the 6x13 Jeanneret Monobloc (also a panoramic camera), the 6x13 Tiranty Verographe (also a panoramic camera), the Revere Stereo 33 and the Lumiere Sterelux. Think I'll likely sell the Voigtlander, maybe the Heidoscop and the Revere. I think!

Back