Canon LTM Recommendations for body and lens

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
I like the M lens option in that they are easier to source (buyable new as well) and there are reasonably priced choices (such as cheaper voigtlanders). At this rate I might be spoilt for choice and end up having more trouble finding a lens than a decent body :

The original two Voigtlander 35mm color skopar 2.5 lenses are LTM and go for less than $300 US on eBay regularly. Is there a reason you cannot order from Japan? I know there could be some tax, but it could still be worth it and a Canon P and color skopar would still be in your price range. I think the Nikon suggestion is $1000 in USD. I can't see you being able to get an S2 and a 35mm lens for your price. Impossible no, but difficult. A Barnack won't have the 35mm frame lines. The CL has 28mm and 40mm frame lines, but no 35mm and will most likely have a dead meter. The Bessa R is LTM and cheaper than the Bessa R2 by about half the price, but still will eat up your budget for the body only.

The original two Voigtlander 35mm color skopar 2.5 lenses are LTM and go for less than $300 US on eBay regularly. Is there a reason you cannot order from Japan? I know there could be some tax, but it could still be worth it and a Canon P and color skopar would still be in your price range. I think the Nikon suggestion is $1000 in USD. I can't see you being able to get an S2 and a 35mm lens for your price. Impossible no, but difficult. A Barnack won't have the 35mm frame lines. The CL has 28mm and 40mm frame lines, but no 35mm and will most likely have a dead meter. The Bessa R is LTM and cheaper than the Bessa R2 by about half the price, but still will eat up your budget for the body only.

I expect I will order from Japan as they make up about 95% of our eBay listings, given their close proximity to our country. I think the majority of retro cameras in Aus come from Japanese imports these days

Again, thanks to everyone for the choices. I'm keeping an eye out for what's on offer here. Hoping I see a good enough deal to force me to pull the trigger and stop thinking A Canon + lens is still my most likely option as it's the most cost effective. The skopars seem to run $600ish here. Which puts the Canon P and lens at about $1000-1100, whilst the Nikon S2 and lens looks to be about $1200. CL and lens would be about $1100-1200 - probably broken meter and annoying choice of 40mm lens or incorrect framelines.

That's true about the barnack - I hadn't looked that far into it

The cheapest working IIIc I can see is over $500 and I am worried I would miss the advance lever - but I wouldn't be surprised if you told me it was still smoother than a later Canon ;)

If you're okay with the idea of a screwmount Leica and all that brings with it (separate rangefinder window, only having a built-in finder for 50mm, needing external viewfinders for other focal lengths, etc.), but don't like the idea of a winding knob for film advance, have a look at the late Leotax cameras. I picked up a Leotax T2L "Elite" complete in the original box (and with the lens it left the factory with!) direct from Japan a year or two ago. Cost me £388 ($686 Australian) at the time; with the collapse of the Yen this year, you might be able to get a much better deal.

IMG_5331.jpg

I very rarely use the 5cm Leonon it came with, but it's rapidly become one of my favourite cameras I've ever used. I don't mind the lack of a 1/1000 speed; if you were adamant on that point, you'd want the Leotax FV instead. No getting around the lack of a built-in 35mm finder unless you jump up to the Leotax G, though - and that would cost you some serious money.

This is my first post, and I joined just to add my 2 cents to this thread.
I shoot mainly with a Leica M2 but wanted a similar camera I don’t have to worry about if I bring it to work, throw it in a bag full of tools, etc.
I bought a Canon P from a Japanese eBay vendor, and a 35mm Canon 2.8 lens, ditto.
They’re both nearly mint condition.
Later I bought a 35mm Canon eyepiece viewer, as the 35 framelines in the P are nearly impossible to see as they’re so far out to the edge of the viewing frame.
I’m very happy with this setup and don’t miss the Leica when I’m shooting with it.
I think including all the shipping from Japan, taxes, etc. I paid over $900 USD, but it’s all virtually new condition.
You can find the same kit for a lot less if you’re not as fussy as I am.
Caution: I recently looked at a Canon P which seemed perfect at first, but the shutter was not linked properly to the film advance. It was possible to fire the shutter in half-wound position, which would cause all kinds of problems.
Good luck!
-Joe

Canon P with 50mm f1.8. Then save up and get the 35mm f2.0 Canon LTM.. I could not be happier, and actually prefer the P to my VT (trigger wind)

I drove out of my way to a photography swap-meet today. They didn't have any ltm cameras or lenses except a crazily priced Canon 7 with a scratched 50mm. Definitely felt like a Canon camera - not super 'premium' - but the frame lines were great even after this much time. Are ltm products really that uncommon or is it just my area where they don't seem to show up?

Definitely felt like a Canon camera - not super 'premium' - but the frame lines were great even after this much time. Are ltm products really that uncommon or is it just my area where they don't seem to show up?

That tracks with my experience with the Canon 7.

Amusingly, I also have a Canon IIIa, and while there's a lot I actively dislike about that camera, it feels considerably more solid and smooth than any Canon 7 I've ever used.

LTM stuff seems relatively common here in the UK. Of course, a lot of it is the pseudo-LTM Soviet stuff; Zorkis are ten-a-penny at camera fairs and the like. They were imported en-masse by TOE for a while, so you're basically tripping over Zorki 4s in a lot of places.

The CL has 40/50/90 frames..... the 28 framelines are on the Minolta CLE

Why has no one suggested a FSU RF? There is a very nice looking Fed4 in Oz plus any number of Fed2 + lenses you can get for under A$300. Absolutely nothing wrong with using them, they are simple and easy to live with and will get you to further experiment with RF fotografie.

I love my Fed2 with 50 and 35mm lenses! Recently I noticed a tiny pin hole in the second curtain and a tiny dab of artist oil paint fixed that. How cool is that for fixing a light leak on the run? Best of all, lots of people comment on it when I take it out and I had lots of great photography related discussions on the road. Such easy gear to use.

[*]a 35mm lens and a body for say, $1000 total
[*]thusly, 35mm framelines

I dont think it´s doable within your budget. Why not save up for a Bessa R2M and whatever 35mm lens is available when you are ready for purchase? Or cold turkey analog with a meterless Leica M2?

I remember paying a little around 1000 EUR for a perfect user M6 with Summicron 50 years ago. How times have changed...

Do feds have 35mm frame lines?

No, none of them. Neither do the Zorkis.

The closest you can get in FSU land is the Leningrad - the finder only has 50mm, 85mm and 135mm framelines, but the full viewfinder window makes up a 35mm field of view, if I remember right. Those things are pricey, though - and rare.

Seems totally doable.
I was shooting with the Canon P today. It’s not a Leica M, but it’s a fun user camera. There are tons of them on eBay, some affordable deals if you want to read every description.
They’re definitely a lot more reasonable when purchased with a 50mm lens… more expensive buying body and 35mm lens separately (which I did).
I would go for the P and a lens and then start looking for a deal on the eyepiece viewer. (Important to buy the right viewer with the manual paralax adjustement. The auto-paralax viewer won’t work on the P, and can actually cause equipment damage.)
Good luck, anyway.

I wouldn't bother when you can get a far superior SLR in great condition for peanuts and have money for film. All you need is some attitude adjustment either enhanced or logical. Don't fall for peer pressure BS about rangefinders blah blah blah it's silly.

Good reason why the industry abandoned rangefinders for SLRs....

No one seems to have thought of the Olympus XA which is a rangefinder with a 35mm lens and viewfinder. The ideal carry anywhere film camera and easily available.

Regards, David

No one seems to have thought of the Olympus XA which is a rangefinder with a 35mm lens and viewfinder. The ideal carry anywhere film camera and easily available.

Regards, David

True, but not exactly going to scratch that M5 itch he was infected with.

Where are plenty of Rs, not R2M and such, but R for under 500 USD.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=voigtlander+bessa+r&_sop=12
And LTM CV CS 35 2.5 are under 300 USD.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311&_nkw=voigtlander+color+skopar+35mm+f%2F2.5&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=voigtlander+bessa+r&_sop=12
With half-case it is OK camera. Without ridiculous mess in VFs of old Canons.

Also, advance lever is grossly overrated. If camera is serviced, it is as fast and easy to operate with knob.
https://youtu.be/FrwV8vaEdzg

Barnack with tiny brighlines finder made from crapped out Olymus XA(2) is just awesome.

Honestly, if you are stressed by money and taxes and have to stay under 1000 Australian $, just get working Nikon FM2N with Nikkor 35/2. Those F based cameras are nice. And Vivitar F mount lenses focus rotates same direction as M, LTM. My late film street photography was done with those Nikon series and Vivitar lenses. I enjoyed them almost more than Leica M cameras, because they are better build and for much less money. And even cheap Nikkormat was getting compliments from strangers. I think, my Nikon SLR photos got more Flickr inexplore than my Lieca M photos from longer time of use.

Back