Refurbished M9 a la carte?

I thought more would be interested in this weird offer... ;)

:)

I can change the leather on any of my cameras for a total cost of $25, to any colour that I want.
Paying $3400 for a used camera that Leica no longer supports that frankly has had terrible reliability issues is pretty tough especially considering really nice used M240s are about $2500. Add $25 for leather colour of your choice.

Yeah, it's not a CCD M, but it is much more reliable, has a much better shutter, has a much more robust rf mechanism (my rf has never drifted on my M240, it did w regularity on my M-E) and has live view which I have found extremely useful in order to calibrate my lenses.

When Leica is now selling a new M-E for $3995, paying $3400 for a used camera with wear, umm no. "But it's been serivced by Leica!" Yeah, is that a selling point seeing the quality of product they have turned out?
;)

I can change the leather on any of my cameras for a total cost of $25, to any colour that I want.
Paying $3400 for a used camera that Leica no longer supports that frankly has had terrible reliability issues is pretty tough especially considering really nice used M240s are about $2500. Add $25 for leather colour of your choice.

Yeah, it's not a CCD M, but it is much more reliable, has a much better shutter, has a much more robust rf mechanism (my rf has never drifted on my M240, it did w regularity on my M-E) and has live view which I have found extremely useful in order to calibrate my lenses.

When Leica is now selling a new M-E for $3995, paying $3400 for a used camera with wear, umm no. "But it's been serivced by Leica!" Yeah, is that a selling point seeing the quality of product they have turned out?
;)

Each and every rational point you make is spot-on but there's been much grumbling on sites like this about the absence of a "CCD look" nowadays.
For those dies-hards, this may be their last chance to feed that need.

I still am using mainly an M8 and and M9. If I change away from the M9 to some other camera, it will be most likely one of these: M10, M 240, or SL. Reason: predicted reliability. CMOS or CCD is not an issue for me. Work on improving my photography is more important.

;)

I wouldn’t buy it either but I found it interesting. It doesn’t make me mad like it did to you. Haha.

Well, it seems to be a better deal than what Leica offers as an alternative to upgrading a Leica M model from a sensor corroded model.

Well, it seems to be a better deal than what Leica offers as an alternative to upgrading a Leica M model from a sensor corroded model.

Hmm..

Let's look at it another way. Leica's upgrade offer is currently $5200 to the M10 if you surrender your defective M9. The sensor replacement cost by itself is now $1600!!! So anyone who is looking at cheap M9s w/o the current sensor, they better be reaaaal cheap to make it worth your while.

But I digress... The new m10 is $7200. You can now buy used M10s for $4000-$4500 (how about that Leica holding it's value rep, eh?!). So you can buy a used M10 for $4500, and still have your M9 and $700 over. Take that $700 and put it to the replacement cost of the sensor. Therefore you will only be paying $900.

So if you do what Leica wants you to do, you will get an M10 for $5200 and they get to flip your old camera for $3400! Do the smart thing, sorta, and for $900 more you can have your M10 and repaired M9.

Ask yourself this, how on earth can it cost $1600 to replace the sensor? You can buy an entire brand spankin new Sony A7 with FF 24mp sensor for $800!! Or A7II for $1400!!

Do I have a point? No, cuz I can't stand the Sonys. No joy in using them at all.
:D

And therein ends my rant.

I have had my M9 for three years, paid $2,100 for it with 1767 actuations The corrosion only started appearing 5 or 6 months ago. Do I want to have a $3700 M9? I have an M8 and z-6. It would make about as much sense as someone getting one of these Leica refurbs for $3400.

You can pick up M240's for less these days, and over all it's a far superior camera then M9 can ever be.

someone will end up with my old M9 in pink leatherette. What a sad thought.
That said .. I swapped it in for a 262 and couldn't be happier with the upgrade.

Is this really true? I have been out of "the market" for a CMOS M, as my M9 trundles along, so I am really asking out of ignorance. But is the M10 shutter more reliable and have they cheaped out on the M9 RF? Seems odd on a $5,000 camera (in its day) . . .

Is this really true? I have been out of "the market" for a CMOS M, as my M9 trundles along, so I am really asking out of ignorance. But is the M10 shutter more reliable and have they cheaped out on the M9 RF? Seems odd on a $5,000 camera (in its day) . . .

By much better shutter, I mean the action/feel of using it is so much nicer, smoother and crisper it is really surprising that the M9 shutter release made it to production. Outside my Zenits, I've never experienced a worse feeling shutter release.
The sound is also so much nicer on the M240 (and M10).
I don't know what Leica changed in the RF, but it has been rock solid on my M, while my M-E(M9) needed occasional adjustment. I've also been able to nail focus wide open all the time w little effort with my M, but it seemed much tougher with my M-E.

Just because Leica charge $5000+ (I think it was about $6000 for the M9, more for the M9P) doesn't mean they didnt cheap out. How do you explain that joke for an LCD screen they put on the camera, when you could buy a $300 camera at the same time that had a better screen?

So, this is where trade-in for corroded sensors is ended up.

And Huss, Leica does supoort M9 series. Cut the ...

By much better shutter, I mean the action/feel of using it is so much nicer, smoother and crisper it is really surprising that the M9 shutter release made it to production. Outside my Zenits, I've never experienced a worse feeling shutter release.
The sound is also so much nicer on the M240 (and M10).
I don't know what Leica changed in the RF, but it has been rock solid on my M, while my M-E(M9) needed occasional adjustment. I've also been able to nail focus wide open all the time w little effort with my M, but it seemed much tougher with my M-E.

Just because Leica charge $5000+ (I think it was about $6000 for the M9, more for the M9P) doesn't mean they didnt cheap out. How do you explain that joke for an LCD screen they put on the camera, when you could buy a $300 camera at the same time that had a better screen?

Film Ms were made to endure for decades. These digital versions are made to endure until the next product cycle upgrade.

My M9-P is over 7 years old. Two sensor replacements for free. I love the colours. The shutter is not as nice as my Monochrom CCD. Love both cameras and no plans to upgrade. I would indeed be tempted to get one of these refurbished ones if anything happened to my current cameras.

Back