RFF Meet Ups...any year, any Place in the World, post yours

This was a very special meeting in that it was just Robert Blu and his wife with me and my wife in Vicenza, Italy on the 19th September 2017. It was lovely to meet them both, and should they ever come to Western Australia I would like to meet them here! He was proudly showing us his recently-bought at Wetzlar M10. Photo by my Sony A7S with a Leica 50 Elmar-M on it.
John Mc
med_U51008I1505758085.SEQ.0.jpg

And here's one of a Sydney meet in January 2016, at a dumpling restaurant in Chinatown, with partners. What a great night.

Our esteemed Eastern hemisphere moderator Jonmanjiro is in the middle on the right.

Heh there I am! And yes, it was a great night indeed. Looking forward to doing it again sometime!

Here's a few RFF meetup photos posted on my flickr. Fun times! Will have to see what else I can dig up. I've got more photos stored somewhere.

This photo below was taken at an RFF meetup in Yokohama after Tuulikki gave out purple softies.

Purple softies galore by Jon, on Flickr

From the left, JCH, Rob and Tom A at the smoker's corner in Yama5hita Park during a meetup in Yokohama way back in 2012.

Smoking by Jon, on Flickr

Benny, Tuulikki and Tom A in the train back Tokyo during/after the 2012 Yokohama meetup.

Train to Shibuya by Jon, on Flickr

Obligatory meetup camera pile photo from Yokohama 2012.

Today's cameras! by Jon, on Flickr

Yokohama 2011 meetup @ Yama5hita Park smoker's corner. From the left, Shintaro, Rob and Tom A

Smokey - Nikkor-N 5cm 1:1.1 by Jon, on Flickr

Another photo from the 2011 meetup. The tall guy talking to Tom A is Tokyo Camera Style (also sometimes called John Sypal).
Photo Walk @ Yokohama - Nikkor-N 5cm 1:1.1 by Jon, on Flickr

Great set of images, I remember that meetup. Yes, the Linhof on the table is mine, but I brought a Linhof to the very first meetup I went to. It took a while for them to start multiplying.

Christian,

You have to tell the back story to that first Meet-Up. In my “Calzone” persona I was bragging about my big Fuji GL690 (Texas Leica) on how I had this gigantic rangefinder, then you kinda crushed me with your Linhof. LOL.

Then Phil chimed in because he had access to the Battleship New Jersey docked in Trenton. It uses a rangefinder to toss 1600 pound rounds up to 26 miles away with its 16 inch guns.

So what that initially “Linhof Disease” did not became contagious immediately, now it is deeply rooted, and is still spreading. Joe and I got badly infected.

Also my training in journalism forces me to make a correction. The Linhof displayed in that photo from an early Meet-Up is actually now my Linhof 4x5, that camera “was” yours.

BTW it has the original leather covering that is worn and has this “patina” that makes it like a braised in black paint Leica.

Cal

Jonmanjiro wins with his who's who of RFF and Tokyo notables. But of course it's not a competition.

Christian,

You have to tell the back story to that first Meet-Up. In my “Calzone” persona I was bragging about my big Fuji GL690 (Texas Leica) on how I had this gigantic rangefinder, then you kinda crushed me with your Linhof. LOL.

Then Phil chimed in because he had access to the Battleship New Jersey docked in Trenton. It uses a rangefinder to toss 1600 pound rounds up to 26 miles away with its 16 inch guns.

So what that initially “Linhof Disease” did not became contagious immediately, now it is deeply rooted, and is still spreading. Joe and I got badly infected.

Also my training in journalism forces me to make a correction. The Linhof displayed in that photo from an early Meet-Up is actually now my Linhof 4x5, that camera “was” yours.

BTW it has the original leather covering that is worn and has this “patina” that makes it like a braised in black paint Leica.

Cal

Cal, your journalism training a bit rusty.

In 2010 I'd been following the meetup threads, without thinking of going. I figured it was for nerds. But then one of them was at David Copperfields on York, and I lived a block away, so I had no excuse. You were meeting us at the hospital first, to show some Margaret Bourke White prints. You had a mamiya 6, and you asked why I didn't bring a camera. I said I brought a rangefinder, and showed you my Leica laser measuring rangefinder. I then said I live a block away, and should I bring a small Linhof or a big Linhof to the bar. I think I brought the Technika 70.
I think the Fuji appeared at the next meet at a bar we only went once. I remember being shocked at the weight.

Calzone

Btw. The Technika on the table in pyeh's image is my current Technika IV with the black grip, and a Rodenstock 135mm lens.

Jonmanjiro wins with his who's who of RFF and Tokyo notables. But of course it's not a competition.

Pete, when it comes to the foreigners and the film RF world, Tokyo is a small place and everyone knows everyone else. I've heard it referred to as a mafia, complete with factions and all :D

Jon, it looks like you had to organise John Sypal and Bellamy Hunt to meet on different days, or is it just clever framing?

Jon, it looks like you had to organise John Sypal and Bellamy Hunt to meet on different days, or is it just clever framing?

Different years even, Pete. The meetup John Sypal joined was in November 2011, and Bellamy joined the meetup in September 2012. Things weren't as factionalized back then though.

Cal, your journalism training a bit rusty.

In 2010 I'd been following the meetup threads, without thinking of going. I figured it was for nerds. But then one of them was at David Copperfields on York, and I lived a block away, so I had no excuse. You were meeting us at the hospital first, to show some Margaret Bourke White prints. You had a mamiya 6, and you asked why I didn't bring a camera. I said I brought a rangefinder, and showed you my Leica laser measuring rangefinder. I then said I live a block away, and should I bring a small Linhof or a big Linhof to the bar. I think I brought the Technika 70.
I think the Fuji appeared at the next meet at a bar we only went once. I remember being shocked at the weight.

Btw. The Technika on the table in pyeh's image is my current Technika IV with the black grip, and a Rodenstock 135mm lens.

Christian,

You should know by now that I exaggerate. Don’t forget that I also have a MFA in “Creative NonFiction” but most of all I’m a smut queen.

In the end we got to the truth.

Ever watch Steven Co-BEAR? The lead into his show follows news stories, but he puts an exaggerated spin on things that are funny.

The hospital display I wanted people to see were some Bernice Ab-BUTT prints that were kinda hidden off the beaten track that are on permanent display.

Anyways we got to the smut/truth.

BTW I guess I’m not a camera nerd because I don’t remember all the details like you. LOL.

Then again how did I get to have so many cameras? Linhof Disease is one excuse…

Cal

Is there anyone else who went to Cambridge (UK) back circa... oh gods, 2010-11ish? I only took a Werra, so I doubt very much I photographed any of the attendees, but it's the only RFF meet I've ever been on.

Oddly enough this may be the only shot I've ever taken at one of our meetups.
Philippe

That is great!
Yes, it was the first version of the fake Technar with distance markings on artist tape, and a 47mm Super-Angulon. Before I added a grip.

That is great!
Yes, it was the first version of the fake Technar with distance markings on artist tape, and a 47mm Super-Angulon. Before I added a grip.

Pretty much I have a “Calzone” version with a 90 Super-Angulon with a grip and gigantic hood and mucho large VF’er.

Cal

Back