Ricoh/Pentax Announces New Film Cameras

That's tremendous news. Thanks for bringing it up. Exciting road map of compact cameras and SLRs.
I note though that in the youtube page there's a link to the Ricoh president/CEO statement which casts a more cautionary note.

Pentax are also talking about Monochrome, astrophotography, short shutter throw and other versions of the K-3 III. I get the feeling their current strategy is to cast about options, skim the most popular and then make them happen. Some of these have been crowdfunded. The jet black K-3 iii kit sold out in a few hours via UBgoe: https://ubgoe.com/projects/146 Having the cash in your hand from fans is a great way for a company to protect against insolvency.

The film camera might or might not happen (announcement says 'researching') but I like the approach Pentax is taking. It's likely to protect them after some of the other currently extant manufacturers no longer exist.

Marty

Last edited:
What wonderful news. Dad's Pentax ME is such a lovely camera, and the lenses are just awesome. I feel like buying some Pentax gear to somehow indirectly support their new efforts. And if/when they make a new film compact, heck, I'll buy one. A fully mechanical SLR, backwards compatible with the vast catalogue of K mount lenses, would be so cool.

Thats great news. Id love a new pentax mx or me with new electronics and the same quality. Did they say when we are expecting the first ?

Thats great news. Id love a new pentax mx or me with new electronics and the same quality. Did they say when we are expecting the first ?

The CEOs announcement says they are investigating making a new film camera. So no guarantees let alone delivery dates.

Marty

I know exactly why. Its because I finally decided get to Pe side on previous week.

52568688588_36e6968279_b.jpg

One of our daughters might purchase her first new film camera, if it will looks like mechanical, metal SLR. I don't think her generation is interested in soapy plastic.

And if Pentax would be smart enough to make Monochrom version, it will finally set me free from holding to film gear and darkroom, me or my daughter have no intention to use much.

Oh, they also need to return KP design DSLR. It was the only DSLR with functional retro design. I looked at Df in the store another day, lipstick on the pig.

And if Pentax would be smart enough to make Monochrom version, it will finally set me free from holding to film gear and darkroom, me or my daughter have no intention to use much.
Kostya, have you seen Tim Vanderweert’s comparisons of the Leica M9 Monochrom to some of the Sigma cameras with different Foveon sensors? He says that, while his Nikon D200 and 24mm Nikkor are closest to digital Tri-X, the Sigma SD15 files convert incredibly well to crisp, sharp, film like files.

Wow, that is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the video. I hope they can follow thru with developing the new cameras. I'd be excited to try them.

Best,
-Tim

This is, possibly, great news. But it seems that the potential lineup they're describing was already in production 25 years ago. I doubt that "lost" engineering knowledge per se is the issue. I suspect that the real challenge is in engineering cameras like those of the past using less expensive production methods and technologies. That's a tall order if the demand is not huge; can a full-featured product be produced on a small scale, with high quality?
The other worrisome phrase I kept hearing was that the cameras must be "fun", for "young people". From the beginning, I have found photography deeply rewarding and enjoyable. But "fun" conjures up images of the various Lomography abominations.
In any case, let's wish Pentax the very best, and cross our fingers. I'll be holding out for a fully mechanical Pentax 645NIII.

Kostya, have you seen Tim Vanderweert’s comparisons of the Leica M9 Monochrom to some of the Sigma cameras with different Foveon sensors? He says that, while his Nikon D200 and 24mm Nikkor are closest to digital Tri-X, the Sigma SD15 files convert incredibly well to crisp, sharp, film like files.

No I haven't seen it. :) All I have seen about Sigma with Foveon comes with conclusion of dead slow AF and non existence of high ISO. Also, if I remember correct, mediocre battery capacity.

Pentax has K series cameras with more less working AF, good high ISO and ... real weather sealing.
If they will make it without color filter, but keeping mentioned above...

The announcement seems rather noncommittal -- "we're looking into this...will require study and input from enthusiasts and expertise from other manufacturers since we've forgotten how to build a film camera." (Not actual quotes) Ricoh surely knows how to build a film camera. They made a lot of good ones over a long period of time, even if the name didn't have the cachet of Pentax (but they have outlasted a lot of bigger names, obviously). So I do hope this comes to fruition, though I won't be looking for it anytime soon. (But it would be in their best interest to get something to market soon to catch the wave -- heck, they might be able to help create the wave....)

Back