Rockwell's image of M3 is 1K$ worth!

Hi,

It's difficult to agree, I'm afraid. Some tIime ago I discovered someone had scanned one of my books, put it on a DVD or CD and sold copies for USD 35 and from memory had sold about 200 of them. I had fun and games getting to him or her and stopping it and others who were passing it on for free.

And the scans are still out there somewhere and so I do a vague search from time to time to find them and deal with the so and sos. It's a chore I could do without and the rudeness of some of them has to be experienced to be believed.

Regards, David

David;

I did think a bit before writing this. A fellow I know of works in China. He lives there. He's an American from Michigan and a younger guy. He has a Ph.D from MIT in EE. He works as a consultant to American companies manufacturing in China. He wrote recently that, most of the popular engineering textbooks in EE are available in stores in China for very little money. These are printed textbooks. One that I remember him mentioning was "The Art of Electronics". I think I paid $70-80 for my copy locally. He said, it was $6 on shelves in China. I have imagery that's been taken to China. It's likely been reproduced as posters and other printed material. There is nothing I can do about it.

pkr

Thanks folks, I don't get too wound up by it but it still annoys when I read about copyright theft and so on.

OTOH, sometimes a second-hand copy of one of the books will turn up on ebay and go for UKP60 and that cheers me up no end. I also used to churn out the yearly catalogue for the family firm and they sell well on the internet for really silly prices and they date back to the 60's mainly.

So I get some compensations from time to time and in a way it's flattering. Of course, if I could get my hands on the so and so...

Regards, David

It could be worse.

It could be worse.

I just remembered something of note, from my conversation with the young women I wrote about in frame #174

She demanded, not requested, that I put my images on a website so, she and her fellow students would have access to them.

Another kid wanted me to start a blog with an exchange option so, he and others could ask me technical questions. The phrase "You Have To" was used liberally in these demands.

I wrote the whole bunch off as crazy, until I found that this attitude was wide spread locally, and not just in my little photo world.

I guess we have to be thankful that she didn't hit "politics" when she stuck the pin into the list of courses. Imagine where we'd all be if she had gone on to make a career of it...

Regards, David

David;

I did think a bit before writing this. A fellow I know of works in China. He lives there. He's an American from Michigan and a younger guy. He has a Ph.D from MIT in EE. He works as a consultant to American companies manufacturing in China. He wrote recently that, most of the popular engineering textbooks in EE are available in stores in China for very little money. These are printed textbooks. One that I remember him mentioning was "The Art of Electronics". I think I paid $70-80 for my copy locally. He said, it was $6 on shelves in China. I have imagery that's been taken to China. It's likely been reproduced as posters and other printed material. There is nothing I can do about it.

pkr

Even if not pirated, books are in general cheap in China because they are using papers and printings from non-environment friendly sources, since being friendly to environment was not a thing when people were still starved. Also they print a lot so price per book is even cheaper.
Earlier this year in China there was a policy about elevating a book's minimal price to about 50 CNY in the near future, and netizens were enraged by it, because they are used to cheap paper books.

Even if not pirated, books are in general cheap in China because they are using papers and printings from non-environment friendly sources, since being friendly to environment was not a thing when people were still starved. Also they print a lot so price per book is even cheaper.
Earlier this year in China there was a policy about elevating a book's minimal price to about 50 CNY in the near future, and netizens were enraged by it, because they are used to cheap paper books.

I think the nonexistent environmental concerns are one of the reasons the semiconductor conductor industry moved there. Cheap labor is also in the mix.

Lawmakers in this state don't want any businesses here that can't be completely operated when wearing a suit and tie, or T-shirt and Levis if in software. But, they still want the money.

A lot of Silicon Valley has moved to Texas, Nevada and offshore.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...s-requested-under-california-bill/1074610001/

I guess we have to be thankful that she didn't hit "politics" when she stuck the pin into the list of courses. Imagine where we'd all be if she had gone on to make a career of it...

Regards, David

It wasn't just her, she was the one with the mouth. The brains may have been elsewhere, and likely more dangerous.

Back