Rolleiflex focus screen comparison test

i had what i believe was a 'rolleiclear' screen in one of my 'cords for a while that had been cut and shimmed for my rolleicord V, and decided to switch to oleson microprism screen. the oleson has a lot less contrast, and the microprism is a much lower quality. i would put the old rollei screen back in but i already calibrated the focus so i'll finish up a couple rolls and decide what to do then. i do not find it to be so bright either, but it's certainly not dim. It is brighter and probably easier to use than early non-removeable screens from E and earlier.

compared to the maxwell screen there is no comparison, the hi lux maxwell screen without focusing aid is a joy to use. but the late model rollei screens with large center microprism screen are great too and i prefer them to the oleson. these are the screens that came with F models and some e2/e3 models i believe. i also find the rolleiclear screen a lot sharper, albeit a bit dimmer, but focusing is still actually easier and more accurate when you hit it. oleson is SOFT.

The microprism in the oleson has a significant amount of tolerance in focus because it is not very sharp, and therefore not good for critical focusing. perhaps had I gone with a split image this would have been solved. and it has poor off axis viewing. if you are not looking directly down at it from the perfect angle you lose focusing aid and just see the black microprism grain. this makes it difficult to use the entire microprism because if you are using it closer to the outer edges of the circle you are probably tilting you head a couple degree to focus on that part of the image if that makes any sense.

I had the chance to compare a Rollei 2.8E2 that had one of these late-model Rollei microprism screens to an earlier stock screen in a 2.8D, and my experience matches yours. The Rollei screen was wonderful: exceptionally bright, and I found it very easy to focus with the large microprism. I couldn't afford the E2 and bought the D instead, which I'm currently getting a Maxwell screen installed in. But I would have sprung for one of those late Rollei microprism screens in a heartbeat, I just don't know where it's possible to source them. I'm glad I ended up skipping the Oleson microprism, I had thought that might be a good alternative, but sounds like it doesn't quite compare

I have an Oleson screen in my MX-EVS and find it impossible to accurately focus without using the split prism. The surface of the screen is just too course. I sometimes even have a hard time confirming if the split image is lined up. I'm wondering if the screen is just not manufactured that well. I've been tempted to go back to the original Rollei screen but then that's a bit too dark for indoor/low light use. Looks like I'll have to shop around for a Mamiya screen or just shell out for the Maxwell.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

I've tried to find a split image screen for my Rolleiflex but they always say, "some cutting is required." The Oleson screen is very much brighter but like you I still couldn't focus. I went back to the original split image screen.

you made the right decision to choose maxwell but the rollei microprism screens can be found if you check ebay or buy one for parts sometimes. obviously they are no longer made. the oleson fresnel microprism grain is very coarse so sometimes you mistake an out of focus part for the coarse microprisms. hard to explain. i can tell rick is an enthusiast who shoots as well and i'm surprised you would continue to manufacture these and sell them if you've ever used one. The oleson screen is genuinely bad--at a certain point they are impossible to focus critically due to their coarseness. impossible to discern fine detail from the surface grain. with the rollei microprism it is possible. for $80 each this is certainly a no go but i was able to get a 'scratch and dent' for $50 which is a bit easier to stomach. i have used mamiya cameras and their oem screens definitely superior. i'm going back to the rollei screen and cutting my losses.

Back