Rolleiflex Old Standard...

Vince, These are wonderful images no matter what camera you used. I really like the tonality from your Standard. How does it compare to the more modern Rolleis you used to own? And did you stop down much for these shots?

Many thanks Ray - this Rollei is so nice to use, it's utterly reliable. As far as comparing it to the more modern ones I had (it's been a while!), the only real difference in handling is that the cocking of the shutter and advancing the film are two separate actions, but really it's no big deal. I didn't buy this to be a speed camera - more of a slow, ponderous, walk in the woods camera. I think the viewfinder is about the same, though my definite memory of how the viewfinders of the 2.8E, Rolleiwide etc are a bit foggy (my memory, not the viewfinders!). I'd say overall the viewfinder of the Old Standard is fine. I like the bubble level a lot, and the magnifier doesn't get in the way of composing the image. As far as image quality/look goes, I think the images from the Old Standard have more character than images I got from the newer Rolleis, but that's just a personal opinion.

In terms of stopping down the lens, the first mistake I made was to use HP5 film. It was too fast for outdoor work, as I found that I was using the highest speeds and the smaller apertures (even exposing the HP5 at ISO 200). So I've switched to FP4 (exposing at ISO 50) and I find I have a lot more latitude in terms of aperture and shutter speed choice. Now I'm using more the f/4-f/5.6-f/8 range, and I try to keep it at around f/5.6 for outdoor use. But really, based upon my initial test shots wide open, I could likely use f/3.5 without worry. It kiinda reminds me of an f/2 Summicron M I owned a few years back - I could shoot at f/2 all day long knowing that every shot would be tack sharp. Just for fun, maybe what I should do is shoot the next roll entirely at f/3.5 and see what happens.

I just picked up a Rollei Stereo Bar last week and am going to see how the stereos compare with those out of my dedicated stereo cameras. In terms of function, of course I'll have to take two separate exposures and slide the Rollei from one side to the other on a tripod, but I think the exposures themselves will be a heck of a lot more reliable and rock-solid than any of the stereo cameras I'm presently using. Stay tuned - and thanks again for the encouragement!

Came across this thread only now, Vince. Wow! Great find and very nice pictures!

Many thanks Lynn - I appreciate the encouragement!

In case you haven't noticed, I've been going to Gettysburg, PA quite a bit. It's only an hour from here and I've never grown tired of it. There's always something there that catches my interest.

Near Cemetery Hill
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Right and Left
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

On one of our many walks in the woods:

Audrey Carroll Sanctuary
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

...I just picked up a Rollei Stereo Bar last week and am going to see how the stereos compare with those out of my dedicated stereo cameras. In terms of function, of course I'll have to take two separate exposures and slide the Rollei from one side to the other on a tripod, but I think the exposures themselves will be a heck of a lot more reliable and rock-solid than any of the stereo cameras I'm presently using. Stay tuned - and thanks again for the encouragement!

I hope you have a stereo Heidoscop and a stereo Rolleidoscop in the collection. Using the stereo gizmo is cheating really...

Regards, David

I hope you have a stereo Heidoscop and a stereo Rolleidoscop in the collection. Using the stereo gizmo is cheating really...

Regards, David

Sorry David, I didn't realize there was a stereo 'code of conduct'. If there are rules, of course they're meant to be broken :)

If you have any doubts about my stereo attempts, please have a look at this thread that I recently revived: https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19983

I have a Heidoscop with a 120 back, Voigtlander Stereflektoskop 6x13, two Macris-Boucher 'Nil Melior', a Tiranty Verographe, a Revere 22 and soon a Jeanneret Monobloc. With the exception of the Revere, all the other cameras have had (and continue to have) issues. Light leaks, failing pneumatic shutters, hazy lenses, you name it. It can be quite discouraging, if I'm being honest, particularly after having spent an entire day shooting and thinking you've gotten stellar images, only to be defeated by yet another light leak or failed shutter. So I think that utilizing the Rolleiflex to achieve a likely better, reliable result (and less heartache!) isn't 'cheating', at least not in my book. Heck, they have stereo apps for iPhones now, so I think a little dedicated Rollei stereo bar from 70+ years ago isn't going to hurt anyone. At least I hope not!

Thanks so much.

For years and years I have been waiting for someone to mention the F&H stereo cameras and the Leitz stereo gismo. Not much more to tick off the list...

Regards, David

PS I meant to say ages ago that the lens cap you showed is very good looking. It took me ages to find a metal one and then I was offered one out of the blue in some transatlantic horse trading.

PPS And a mention of Dr Heering's book would be another item on the list; just in case you have one...

Yes too bad about all those glitches you’re having with the platestereo cameras. It all boils down to, if you want consistently great stereo images.....the Stereo Realist IS, And WAS, the most reliable foolproof best imageing stereo camera Ever.

Yes too bad about all those glitches you’re having with the platestereo cameras. It all boils down to, if you want consistently great stereo images.....the Stereo Realist IS, And WAS, the most reliable foolproof best imageing stereo camera Ever.

Let me know when they come out with the 6x13 version :)

I gotta say that sometimes I think KEH is asleep at the wheel, and I've managed to snag some impressive bargains as a result. One of the other crazy ones I got from them a number of years ago was a repainted Leica IIIcK -- a Luftwaffe version of all things -- for $600. Think those days are gone, but this Rollei was a pretty good snag.

I've gotten a couple of very good as is snags from KEH too. I think they label them as As Is if they don't want to deal with a warranty on an old item. My Leica Ia came that way.

Hasn't arrived yet but this is on the way and is said to be fully working.

49944814391_f3b1be706f_c.jpg

49945108227_8f198edaf4_c.jpg

Shawn

No, usedphotopro.com. They have good deals from time to time. Their grading isn’t nearly as consistent as KEH though. If you save the pictures they post you can open them full size to better see the physical condition though and they do have returns and warranty.

Shawn

Looks like a good one, particularly with that nice leather case. I'd love to see some photos from it!

Actually I just realized that the Rollei stereo bar I just got came from Used Photo Pro. Great minds think alike :)

My Rollei arrived today. Seems to work fine and the lenses are clean. What a sweet little camera. I was surprised at the size compared to my 2.8c. Will be loading it up soon.

Shawn

I must admit, I love your threads... another cool camera and more cool images!

Aw shucks, now you're gonna make me blush :)

Many thanks, truly - I love a good challenge, and this has been a good one. The stereo cameras have also been another good challenge, though not nearly as successful right out of the gate as this one has been.

Thinking of doing more stereos with this little guy - what do you think?

Back