Rolleiflex Old Standard...

Cropped portrait shot with Rolleiflex Standard

Cropped portrait shot with Rolleiflex Standard

U78406I1595776740.SEQ.4.jpg

I shot this intriguing portrait of a barrista at a local coffee shop in Hudson, NY with my unmodified 1934 Rolleiflex Old Standard, model 622. To get the composition I wanted I had to crop the image fairly radically and what is shown represents a center crop of 30% of what's on the original negative--a pretty remarkable performance for an 85-year-old camera with an uncoated 75mm f/3.5 Zeiss Jena Tessar lens. Handheld exposure: 1/100 sec at f/4 on Ilford HP-5 Plus film.

I love the velvety look of the photos! Currently looking for a really nice Old Standard. What lens should I be looking for?

I love the velvety look of the photos! Currently looking for a really nice Old Standard. What lens should I be looking for?

They all have Tessar lenses. The 3,8 Tessar is the same as the 3,5. The shutter available at the time limited the aperture to 3,8. Then there's the 4,5 Tessar. It's also good, of course.

Never got back on this, my camera isn't even so much as a fixer-upper, it's working fine as shown here! All shutter speeds are accurate and the lenses are clean, only thing I feel I need to handle with care is the film transport.

I really love the way it shoots and renders. A Rolleiflex Old Standard is a very underrated camera imho. The old Tessar really is very good!

This question might get lost in this thread…

Any other options for a hood besides the Rolleiflex one? I think the filter size is 28.5mm. I’m curious what folks are using if you think this camera needs one. I’ll develop a roll today shot with the camera in the photo above.

This question might get lost in this thread…

Any other options for a hood besides the Rolleiflex one? I think the filter size is 28.5mm. I’m curious what folks are using if you think this camera needs one. I’ll develop a roll today shot with the camera in the photo above.

If you look at post #47 in this thread, you'll see what I'm using. It's a Zeiss Ikon hood for a Contina. 28.5mm. There are two on eBay right now.

Never got back on this, my camera isn't even so much as a fixer-upper, it's working fine as shown here! All shutter speeds are accurate and the lenses are clean, only thing I feel I need to handle with care is the film transport.

I really love the way it shoots and renders. A Rolleiflex Old Standard is a very underrated camera imho. The old Tessar really is very good!

Wow - that looks like roadkill (especially compared to those owned by people who get really snotty about condition), great to hear it works so well!

I've got a couple of these Rolleiflex Old Standards I picked up off "the auction site". I knew they would require a bit of tinkering to get working again, but neither was beyond saving. I took photos of the second one as I fixed it and finally got round to documenting it: http://oldtimecameras.atspace.cc/

The end result looks like this:

51403161732_ccdf400484_c.jpg

They're really nice cameras. Incredible to go out and have fun taking photos with a camera that's nearly 90 years old!

A new mirror has made a huge difference in the finder. Very easy to swap out the old. Scratched on the back of the old mirror is 18.3.34.

[/url

Well, as of today. I am the owner of an Old Standard Rolleiflex - thanks at least in part to a London Camera Exchange voucher for Christmas from my other half.

This is Model 621 No 230596 - it's obviously had a bit of a hard life, but the shutter speeds all seem to be OK. It took a long while to work out why the hood didn't open properly, but it looks as though the flaps had been folded in the wrong order. How well the film transport works remains to be seen - as you can see from the last picture someone has made a real Horlicks of the spring that keeps the backing paper tight to the roll of film and I'm not sure if I should fix that before I use it. I guess no-one has a dead Old Standard with a spare in, do they?

EDIT: Seems three pics is the limit - I'll put the photo of the bent bit in another post.

Old Standard Rolleiflex by gray1720, on Flickr

Back