Russian Turret Finder - CLA

wolves3012

Mentor
Local time
1:34 AM
This thread is intended to cover a CLA on the russian turret finder. It also shows the arrangement of the internal prisms. Many people take these apart to clean out dust etc, only to find that various bits fall out unexpectedly and they are then unsure how to reassemble them. This thread will also show you how to put them back together!

Firstly, a couple of words on the finder. It comes in two varieties, one for FED/Zorki and one for Kiev. The only difference is that the two types are mirror-images of each other, therefore the CLA is essentially the same but with obvious reversals of components. The finder has a "turret" that revolves to provide views for 28, 35, 50, 85 and 135mm lenses and has some, limited, parallax correction. The FED/Zorki type looks like this:

Attachments

• Pict01.jpg
    Pict01.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
To CLA the finder you'll need a jewellers screwdriver set, some cotton swabs, some pure alcohol (or something similar, to clean the lenses) and some clean cotton gloves - and yes, you really will need them! A dab of grease will also be needed, the type is not critical. Finally, you'll need a bit of patience and to realise that you will NOT get it perfectly clean (unless you have access to a cleanroom!). The finder is not dust-proof either, so in use it will become dirty again in time. Bear in mind that most of, if not all, the lenses and prisms are coated glass - treat them as you would a camera lens, with care.

Ok, here goes!
Step 1: Place your thumb over the detent ball on the side of the round part of the turret. Remove the screw holding the ball-retainer. Take the retainer off and tip the ball out (If you lose it, don't blame me - use a tray to work over!)

Attachments

• Pict02.jpg
    Pict02.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Pict03.jpg
    Pict03.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Step 2: Hold the finder eyepiece upwards. Remove the three screws holding the eyepiece/cover in place. Remove the cover.

Attachments

• Pict04.jpg
    Pict04.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 6
  • Pict05.jpg
    Pict05.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 6
Step 3: Carefully, tip out the first prism and round spacer, then the second prism. Handle the prisms with cotton gloves - they are coated glass and very easy to mark or damage, you have been warned! The second photo below is the crucial one for those who took the finder apart without realising that it's not as simple as they thought. This shows the correct arrangement of the prisms for re-fitting them. Clean the prisms carefully and set them aside somewhere where they won't get damaged or disturbed.

Attachments

• Pict06.jpg
    Pict06.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Pict07.jpg
    Pict07.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 19
Step 4: Turn the finder over and slacken the tiny grubscrew set into the large middle screw. Don't take this out, just loosen it a turn or so. Next, remove the large centre screw, making sure that the fibre washer behind it comes with it or is not lost.

Attachments

• Pict08.jpg
    Pict08.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Pict09.jpg
    Pict09.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Pict10.jpg
    Pict10.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 4
Step 5: Remove the turret, it simply pulls off. This now allows you clean both ends of all the lenses on the turret and also the lensed side of the viewing frame (in the main, black, part)

Attachments

• Pict11.jpg
    Pict11.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 7
Step 6: Clean the viewing frame from the eyepiece end of the finder. It's quite recessed, use an alcohol-moistened cotton swab to clean it and a blower to remove the debris and dust. Be aware that that it will take some patience to get it satisfactorily clean and dust-free. Use an eye-loupe or magnifying glass to satisfy yourself that it really is clean enough, hold the finder over a white target to get a clear view. I can't stress enough that you need to be thorough here or you'll be disappointed when it's reassembled. Also clean the eyepiece lens.

Attachments

• Pict12.jpg
    Pict12.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Step 7: Put it all back together! As in the best manuals, reassembly is simply the reverse of disassembly. Note the following, however:

Clean the shaft that the turret revolves on and put a small amount of grease on it to make the action smooth. Likewise, a *very* tiny amount on the ball-track is helpful, although not crucial.

Take great care when replacing the prisms. Place the smaller, triangular-shaped one first, with the small flat section facing the bottom of the finder and the "point" pointing towards the eyepiece - refer to the photo above again and double-check. Next drop the spacer so that it sits at the top, then carefully insert the larger prism, with the "roof" downwards. When the prisms are in place, check very carefully that the rear face is flush with the back of the finder. Tap the housing gently to settle the prisms. If it's not flush now, firstly it is not assembled correctly and secondly you will crush the parts when you re-fit the eyepiece and cover.

It is possible to remove, disassemble and clean each of the lenses and also the viewing screen (which can also be rotated if it's out of alignment). To do so will require a small lens-spanner and I do not recommend this unless you are experienced and it's absolutely necessary. If the lenses are disassembled, I suggest these are done one at a time and re-fitted before moving on to the next. This will prevent incorrect reassembly.

Last edited:
Excellent tutorial.

I have been through this, and much trial and error was required as, you guessed it, I mixed up the prisms. lol

Thanks for this excellent thread, wolves3012!
Mine is fine now, but will eventually need this.

Rob

I don't have one of these, but appreciate your diligence and effort in putting it here. We need more of these "tutorials."

Thanks,
Bill

Many people take these apart to clean out dust etc, only to find that various bits fall out unexpectedly ...

Ah so it's not just me. I have a Zeiss turret finder, and when I tried to clean it up I lost the little ball bearing. Anybody have an idea about where one could find a replacement?

Ah so it's not just me. I have a Zeiss turret finder, and when I tried to clean it up I lost the little ball bearing. Anybody have an idea about where one could find a replacement?
The bearing is 3mm but you could get away with anything 2.5-3mm. Find your local ball bearing stockist and ask them. Ask nicely and I doubt they would bother to charge for a single 3mm ball.

Done! thank you so much for this howto, really helpful. Today I received a misty turret and after the CL(A?) I find it a way better.

By the way, it came without the small ball...

Done! thank you so much for this howto, really helpful. Today I received a misty turret and after the CL(A?) I find it a way better.

By the way, it came without the small ball...
Someone's probably lost it before it got to you then. As noted above, a 2.5-3mm ball bearing is fine, it should not be too hard to find one.

Wegena viewfinder

Wegena viewfinder

Hi

I have recently acquired a turret finder for my Zorki which needs a CLA but its not Russian it's a Wegena made in Germany. Do you know if the procdure is likely to be very different?

Thanks

Back