Sartorial Preferences of a Leica Man? Just for grins...

I'm over 6'2" with a big gut, bad back, baggy eyes and jowls and developing monks cap baldness. If I dress up a bit there is no improvement.

Seriously... no jeans in the summer months.

Very inexpensive light weight olive or dark tan cargo pants will get the job done.

Of course, the really serious Leica street photographer wears a Leica logo golf shirt with the logo covered up with electrical tape.

For me, it's as follows -

Shirts: Light gray or ivory colored T-shirt, always.
Shorts: Always. I carry a 6x6 in square of gardener's knee pad for kneeling on sidewalks, etc.
Shoes: Low top hiking shoes or Teva sandals.
Bag: Tan Billingham Hadley Pro, Tan Domke F5XB or F802.
Hat/cap: Ivory colored Tilley T3 or ivory colored baseball cap.
Gear: Special needs like ND filters, microfiber cloth, horse hair lens brush, pen, 5x7 writing pad, postcards with my contact information and website URL and a water bottle.
Fun stuff: My Chris Reeve Sebenza 25, which goes with me everywhere and a book of haiku for reflection and inspiration.

Summer has finally arrived in The Deep South!

A Leica Man does not let 100°F heat and oppressive humidity stop him from shooting. So what does a Leica Man wear? While shopping for summer clothes the other day, this question arose in my mind and I had no answer. So I did nothing but look. I hope to get the sartorial considerations settled soon as I have a couple of road trips planned.

After considering the needs for comfortable clothing, I have a few thoughts.

Shirts. Forget the T-shirt, I was wondering about loose fitting linen shirts. Has anyone tried those while out shooting? Long sleeve?

Shorts. Maybe but it gets downright irritating when dropping to a knee to shoot with shorts on. Levi's seem to still work best. Any thoughts?

Shoes. I am leaning toward Sperry boat shoes for a change.

Bag. Domke Ruggedwear gets my attention, not my black Billingham... for obvious reasons.

Hat/cap. A nice summer-weight flat cap works best for me.

Gear. Special needs like ND filters and such along with a towel or a wet bandana (Cooldana) and a water bottle.

Fun stuff. My 2wt. Orvis Fly rod in an 18" tube with compact fly case and such in a separate bag for therapy along the way.😃
Anything else?

Just curious, whilst stuck in the house this weekend... what are your considerations?😃

Here in the really, really deep south (22N,159W) summer sees me change from a T-shirt to a light tank, shorts are the same ones I wear in winter though are often replaced with a light swim trunks, my winter sandals are the same too, as is the hat that covers the bald spot that I can not see but sunburns just the same.
Other than an orange filter, my MM goes naked. If I'm going to a picnic, I'll take my M9 wearing a 35 and a 90 in an old green Domkie F5B.
Jobs require chinos, an aloha shirt and my best sandals (slippahs). My S2 and my Monochrom ride in a Filson. No hat but I might shave.

Sear sucker suite, blue or red polka dot bow tie and a flat brimmed straw hat. Be sure to wear bucs not wing tips otherwise you will embarrass the entire Gulf Coast Bar Assn.

I take most of my pictures in Saigon which has a tropical climate: 90F and humid. In this climate 'sartorial' goes out of the window real fast. My preferred attire: cotton broad rimmed floppy hat with air vents -the Tilley hat is great; quality sunglasses; thin cotton white shirt; cotton cargo shorts with lots of pockets which will hold my cash, phone, bike registration etc..., and Crocs flip-flops. If you stay outdoors the entire day, de-hydration is a main concern and you either get your fluids in the cafes or carry water with you.

.... basal cell....I've received WAY too much sun in my life.

I hear you. When I worked in a laboratory in South Florida (long before the days of electronic medical records), we kept individual patient visits for removal of basal cell carcinomas on index cards. It was not unusual to have a single patient with a pile of index cards half an inch thick for all the basal cell carcinomas that had been removed over the years. Be careful out there!

So many nice clothes, so little wardrobe space to store them. Seriously folks apart from my addiction to cameras I have an addiction to nice clothes. Now that robes are full in three bedrooms and encroaching on my wife's closet space I am banned from buying more.

But seriously I am kind of attracted to the tweedy, preppy look. Goes well with Billingham bags and Leica M bodies.

https://au.pinterest.com/peterm1001/my-favorite-fashion/

So many nice clothes, so little wardrobe space to store them. Seriously folks apart from my addiction to cameras I have an addiction to nice clothes. Now that robes are full in three bedrooms and encroaching on my wife's closet space I am banned from buying more.

But seriously I am kind of attracted to the tweedy, preppy look. Goes well with Billingham bags and Leica M bodies.

https://au.pinterest.com/peterm1001/my-favorite-fashion/

Peter,

I do like that look, thank you for posting. I believe you can teach me a lot about nice clothes!:D

Back