Sartorial Preferences of a Leica Man? Just for grins...

Waders and boots, or do you wet wade?

Ah... With limited space on a motorcycle, no room for waders and boots. SUV will certainly handle that but logistics get whacked out with two other people along for the trip.

Not that I can manage the logistics very well on the first place...:rolleyes:

a Leica 'Man' ... hmmmmm

it's all about the Camera, which lens and a Hat in Summer

MOI
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

I really do like that look, Helen!! When a Leica is strapped on, the hat is where it's at!

Leica MAN, or Leica woMAN. Words are inadequate, yet the right look, that says it all whilst being very practical. Thanks for that photo!:)

My Word!

My Word!

Y'all need long-sleeve, white, linen shirts. Unlined linen, seersucker or light cotton long trousers. Seersucker jacket when needed, make sure you have a silk or cotton pocket square. A small silk bow tie, in a lighter color (no patterns, save small polka dots) for times when a tie is appropriate.

Thigh-high socks and either Clark's Desert Boots or plain Oxfords in either fabric or smooth leather.

Remember, you are a Gentleman and should always carry yourself as such. Avoid excessive fripperies. Wrap your extra lens in a silk scarf and keep it in your Seersucker jacket's pocket or your trousers' pocket. If you are using larger format gear, get a bag that will hold a tripod and carry only that.

One never puts something bulky in one's suit coat pocket!! Spoils the line, you know. A proper leather satchel of the shooter's choice is for carrying one's gear.

I've found this to be a pretty good outfit, at least in New Mexico:

Tortilla Vinny
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Stormy Kromer waxed cotton hat, a $9.00 Baja sweatshirt (aka a 'drug rug'), $3.00 bandana, True Religion Ricky Baja jeans, John Fluevog 'Banker' boots. There's probably an Omega Speedmaster buried in there somewhere. Plus a bit of silver and turquoise for good measure :)

Vince,

Just wondering if you still have the stylish bags. The last I remember was a cool Porteen bag. Any later bags to show us worthy of a Leica man?:)

Vince,

Just wondering if you still have the stylish bags. The last I remember was a cool Porteen bag. Any later bags to show us worthy of a Leica man?:)

I do still have the Porteen bag, but haven't used it in a while. The interior just doesn't work for me, though I love the look of the bag.

No, right now I've been using a boring Domke Waxwear F803. Not sure if the M-D is gonna fit in there though!

I do still have the Porteen bag, but haven't used it in a while. The interior just doesn't work for me, though I love the look of the bag.

No, right now I've been using a boring Domke Waxwear F803. Not sure if the M-D is gonna fit in there though!

Congratulations on that M-D!!! Love It!

Cannot wait to see the accessories including the bag you come up with.. Oh and the wonderful photos too!:)

In that kind of humidity, bare bones evolution bag, lightweight washed chinos, long sleeve linen shirt, ecco suede loafers, and enough hat to cover the ears (usually an old panama or mesh panel boonie). Oh yeah, and a LOT of baby powder:)

Hot weather - Baseball cap on backwards (note: sunscreen on top of ears and face, wife comes in handy when available to keep stuff off own hands), then a short sleeve shirt, usually a rayon or silk light weight (note: sunscreen on forearm and top of hands, once again the wife comes in handy), pair of shorts with cargo pockets (note: sunscreen on legs, again wife comes in handy), a great pair of socks and walking shoes/sneakers, I have been using Teva models for the past several years. I need to have good footwear or my dogs will start barking. I will carry a small mouse pad in my cargo pants on occasion to take care of the kneeling if needed. (fits in cargo pocket of shorts). For a bag I use a Artisan & Artist ACAM-7100 bag a lot but I also have recently been using a F-Stop Kenti backpack for walkabouts, this can be used with a hydration pack or carry a water bottle. I can also attach my lightweight Gitzo tripod if needed. Both can carry two bodies and lens with usual extra battery, memory card, lens cloth, etc. I also find the backpack more comfortable when out for longer periods since it is more comfortable to walk around with. Love the warmer weather but living up in the northwest it is not that long of a season compared to your part of the country Dave.

6265870936_d7ed017772_z.jpg

Everybody has their own interests in aesthetics and style. I don't care about clothes, cars or watches, but I'm happy to invest in things like photographic equipment (of course), travel, concert tickets, good food and durable environmental enhancements like oriental carpets.

Back