Schneider Kreuznach 105mm f3.5 Xenar in Exakta mount

peterm1

Mentor
Local time
7:36 PM
The lens depicted below, a Schneider Kreuznach 105mm f3.5 Xenar (the photo is not of my lens - just a generic photo from the internet and mine is in pristine condition unlike the one depicted which has some war stories to tell) is one I purchased recently in Exakta mount. I ordered and have now received an Exakta to Leica M adapter which I will use by stacking with Leica M to M43 and Leica M to NEX mount adapters which I already own to facilitate its use on a variety of camera systems. I will most likely take it for a walk tomorrow to check it out.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this lens or has used one. It weighs a TON - clearly all brass and glass with no aluminium or plastic in sight. Only slight problem is that it needs relubing as it is a little hard to focus (though still usable with some effort). I wish I could find some dismantling instructions so I can do this chore so if anyone has any leads I would be pleased to hear them.)

Looks like an extremely nice lens. And if not I suppose given its weight it will make a good boat anchor (kidding!) I am developing a sneaking admiration for these odd-ball looking European lenses of the 1950s and earlier. (My lens has a serial number dating to 1951). I have overlooked them - apart from Leica of course, for too long and feel I am missing out on something.

00b9sR-509699584.jpg
Save
Save

Schneider Xenar on Canon T90 105/4.5. Your Xenar is 105/3.5.
My lens may have been an enlarging lens or a medium format lens.
I am sorry, but I don't have the same Xenar as you do, Peter.

6181961-orig.jpg

6181957-orig.jpg

6181958-orig.jpg

I move back and forth until I see the image in focus.

Using an SLR Camera works with such a lens, or a digital camera with live view.
6181945-orig.jpg

This lens is heavy and it is sharp. I bought it on ebay many years ago. Someone butchered together a huge adapter that ends with the Canon FD mount. I could add Canon Adapter B (to LTM) and then LTM-M and then use this lens on the borrowed M240. Maybe.

I got curious, Peter, so I got out my Schneider 105/4.5 Xenar, and I mounted it on the M240. Focusing is not easy at all, and the viewed image is very low contrast. I set ISO to 800, used LiveView, and I took some photos a few minutes ago, in support of your thread! Our lenses differ. I know.

Xenar%208-X2.jpg

Xenar%201-X2.jpg

Xenar%203-X2.jpg

Xenar%204-X2.jpg

These were mostly taken wide open.

Here are photos of my lens on the M240:

The%20Lens%202-XL.jpg

The%20Lens-XL.jpg

Save

Hooley Dooley.....that looks like a plumber's nightmare! :eek::D I have noticed online that this lens seemed to have various forms - some seems to be shorter and lack a focusing arrangement as if it is only the optical head or are in any event much shorter than mine.
Save

Here are older photos with this lens and Olympus E-P2:
https://raid.smugmug.com/Other/Schneider-Xenat-105-45-EP2/i-PsJNvZX

Xenar%20105%20EP2%202%3D-4s-M.jpg

Save

Thanks Raid. Nice rendering. That is one thing I have observed many times in older German lenses and their derivatives - how well they render skin tones as well as having nice rendering generally. This is something we have lost in our modern quest for sharpness and technical "purity" at all costs - as I know you know, lenses are like a painter's brushes and painting technique which all give a different effect.

I have also been playing around with an early M42 Helios 44-2 which I picked up at the same time and which, as I am sure you know but others may not, is based on a pre war German Biotar design. Its rendering is superb. It just has a certain "richness" to the tones that is hard to explain but immediately recognized when seen. And of course it is built like a brick. (Unlike some Russian copies which can be flimsy). I will see about posting some images from both.

I also found this link to some posts of images made with the Schneider lens. The ones of the fishing boats in fog near the top of page are especially nice and evocative in their rendering I think. http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider...mm-t32824,highlight,+xenar++105mm++f3++5.html

Save

He Peter,
The lens adapting to Canon FD is/was ingenious by some guy (maybe a Russian living in Berlin?) many years ago. I saw possibilities as I was using FD lenses heavily then.
You are correct about painting and using many lenses. I view it this way too. These old (German) lenses are great for portraits. My wife always comments on how much she likes me to use such lenses when taking photos of her. I understand. The skin looks natural and the end result is quite pleasing to my eyes. Using this lens with the (cheap) Olympus E-P2 is much easier to do than when I used the (costly) Leica M42 with LiveView.

Yes, I have a M42 Helios 44-2. It works very well with B&W film, I recall.

I also have a Schneider 180mm/5.6 (here are some images with a Canon A1)
i-nc9tXXQ-L.jpg

i-Jprvqfq-L.jpg

I have a 105mm Schneider Xenar, which added to my Xenar collection. 105, 135, 150, 180, 210, 300mm, all in original factory barrel mount.

These are very underrated lenses.

Hi Raid,
Yes they are all intended as large format lenses

I had a feeling that this was the case given that some versions looked like they were designed to fit onto a large format camera. I wonder how they perform on the larger format - they obviously throw a large image circle if that is the case.

I once had access to all the literature from B&J in Chicago. I have original literature photocopies from Schneider and I have looked up the 105mm Xenar. Midwest Photo bought out B&J, and called me (and a friend of mine) in help ID things, and flew Ron Wisner in, as well. Wisner made a HUGE pile of Protars and super super rare stuff to take back with him. We drank beer and ate pizza late into the night. What a hoot it was. There were many things there Wisner had never seen in person before.

There were two versions available, one F3.5 and one F4.5. The 105mm F3.5 Xenar had an image circle of 125mm at F22, and is listed as covering 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches. It is a 60 degree lens according to Schneider. The F4.5 105mm Xenar is a 62 degree lens, with an image circle of 127mm at F22. So it also covers 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches according to Schneider. Both lenses take a Series 7 filter. The 4.5 lens weighs 165 grams, and the F3.5 lens weighs 170 grams.

Raid, these are smallish baby LF lenses, but with 35mm or digital you are only using the very center of the lens, which is the "sweet spot" as they say. I have found Xenars (they made them up to 480mm) to be exceptionally good for my uses. Certainly as good as the Symmars which are a completely different optical formula. Your Xenar looks to me like it was removed from some type of scientific device. These lenses were used for all types of purposes. Schneider made all sorts of focusing mounts for these Xenars.

Thank you for this I formation. Lenses have their history and it is interesting to learn more about the lenses that we use it lenses that we could use.

One more thing, since your Xenar is black, it is of more modern vintage. My Xenars are all shiny chrome finish. You can easily look up the year of production using the serial number, if you are interested in dating your lens.

Back