Schneider Kreuznach 105mm f3.5 Xenar in Exakta mount

2016-08-20 11.11.11 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is one of my bigger Schneider F4.5 Xenars, this one is a 240mm in barrel mount. Same as your 105's, just scaled UP. I also like the 300mm 4.5 which is a wonderful 5x7 portrait lens.

Shown above on one of my Plaubel Makiflex cameras.

Xenars, and Elmars, are Tessar lens designs. I did not see a reference to the Schneider data sheets in the above string. I may just have missed it.

https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/xenar/

Thanks, I have seen this, but the lens I have predates those on the list (which appears current) and so mine is not listed though I suppose being Xenars the optical formula is similar.

EDIT: Also a list here of these lenses in M42 though perhaps incomplete given my lens does not make the cut.

http://m42lens.com/m42-database-search/search/results

Xenars were made up to 480mm in F4.5

Don't have one of those! Would be awesome on 8x10

I have since seen photos of Tele Xenars in my focusing mount (i.e for 35mm) in 135mm, and 180mm (from an outwards perspective they just appear to have a longer barrel though of course this is does not tell the optical story). Also I have seen photos of a 240mm lens which has a somewhat different barrel but is still very handsome in that business like, kind of Germanic lens way that they have. No doubt all are based on medium format or large format lens designs but I am not sure if they ever actually released a 480mm one in 35mm format. as opposed to larger formats.

BTW are there a differences between Xenar and Tele Xenar designs? Or is the latter name just a marketing device for those built for 35mm?

The Tele-Xenars are different from the Xenars, they are a "telephoto" optical design, so extensions to achieve proper focus are not so extreme. For instance the 360mm Tele-Xenar was extremely popular on the 4x5 speed graphics, as they did not require as much bellows extension as the more standard optical designs, and could be more easily hand held.

Schneider made these for 35mm and 6x6 cameras and they are all quite good. I like Xenars and Tele-Xenars both. Remember you are using the "sweet center" of the lens.

480mm Xenar would require 480mm of bellows extension for infinity focus, more for close ups. So not a small format lens at all.

480 Xenar by Nokton48, on Flickr

Peter,
Here is a 480 Xenar. According to Schneider it weighs 2100 grams. Extremely rare and when I have seen it very expensive. But I have other 480mm LF lenses so I go on.

480 Xenar by Nokton48, on Flickr

Peter,
Here is a 480 Xenar. According to Schneider it weighs 2100 grams. Extremely rare and when I have seen it very expensive. But I have other 480mm LF lenses so I go on.

Holy crapoly. No wonder it is extremely rare. Everyone who ever bought one got a king sized hernia, died and was buried with their lens.

Impressive though. (I love big lenses) Thanks.

Is this look similar to the results from a Thambar?

Hi Raid,

I have never seen a Thambar in person, but I have a complete set of Rodenstock Imagons, which are in some ways similar to the Thambar (sort of). What we have here is a classical timeless way to shoot a portrait. The camera is 8x10", the lighting is soft and the depth of field is about as thin as a sheet of paper at this shooting distance. Also it requires a view camera that has sufficient bellows extension. I would say the camera bellows is racked out six to seven feet from experience! Few cameras have this much degree of bellows extension; My Sinar Normas do this kind of job for me.

Soft lighting, ultra high large format fidelity (sharpness), if you put your nose against the computer screen, you can count the pores in the skin, count the threads in a garment, count the eyelashes, etc. I love this effect. Believe me, printed 16x20 or 20x24 nearly life size these types of portraits have a lot of impact.

The bokeh is lovely, eh? Not soft focus, just out of focus.

Hi Raid,

I have never seen a Thambar in person, but I have a complete set of Rodenstock Imagons, which are in some ways similar to the Thambar (sort of). What we have here is a classical timeless way to shoot a portrait. The camera is 8x10", the lighting is soft and the depth of field is about as thin as a sheet of paper at this shooting distance. Also it requires a view camera that has sufficient bellows extension. I would say the camera is racked out six to seven feet from experience! Few cameras have this much degree of bellows extension; My Sinar Normas do this kind of job for me.

Soft lighting, ultra high large format fidelity (sharpness), if you put your nose against the computer screen, you can count the pores in the skin, count the threads in a garment, count the eyelashes, etc. I love this effect. Believe me, printed 16x20 or 20x24 nearly life size these types of portraits have a lot of impact.

The bokeh is lovely, eh? Not soft focus, just out of focus.
Yes, of course, you are right here. The target areas are rendered sharp, and the rest is out of focus due to the factors that you have described. The resulting image is very beautiful.

Over on the largeformatphotography.info forum, Bernice has a 480mm F4.5 Xenar! What an awesome piece of glass. Would love to find one someday :)

Here it is, mounted on a (I believe) 5x7" Sinar P2. What a ultimate combo! See portrait results above ^^^

Better have some extra rails and bellows with this one! 5x7" will lessen bellows extension, somewhat more manageable in use.
Notice also the machined rear ring she has had made to properly forward-space the lens, to work properly work with the Sinar Shutter. Absolutely beautiful work! Late vintage Xenar, too. Worth some coin :cool:

480mm Xenar, Sinar P2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Over on the largeformatphotography.info forum, Bernice has a 480mm F4.5 Xenar! What an awesome piece of glass. Would love to find one someday :)

Here it is, mounted on a (I believe) 5x7" Sinar P2. What a ultimate combo! See portrait results above ^^^

Better have some extra rails and bellows with this one! 5x7" will lessen bellows extension, somewhat more manageable in use.
Notice also the machined rear ring she has had made to properly forward-space the lens, to work properly work with the Sinar Shutter. Absolutely beautiful work! Late vintage Xenar, too. Worth some coin :cool:

480mm Xenar, Sinar P2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Magnificent glass. If you like this check out this video of Jeffo Wong's collection - a Hong Kong based collector of all types of camera glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bbUutOk9PA

Thanks Peter. Didn't know about Jeffo.

This year I met on the internet (and many telephone calls and emails) Geoff Berliner from NYC, he heads a photography foundation.
He has 3000 large format lenses! I thought I had a lot.

We have certain very intense mutual photographic interests. He has invited to come and visit him in NYC. When I retire perhaps I will! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0OsjSjjwJY

Back