Washington (state) Seattle Musing

K14

Well-known
Local time
11:24 PM
Crikey the place around us is changing before our eyes! What was that white stuff that we got here a couple of weeks ago? Have you signed the "Save the Ave" petition?

Does anyone have plans to go to the April 19th PSPCS show in Kent? Kevin and I hit the one in Vancouver last year. We thought getting a table among us would be better and we'd get the early-entry dibs.

What have you all been up to lately? Kevin, have any new Rollei shots for us? I need some encouragement.

Anyone for a future meetup? I'm up for just about anything at this point, it's been too long and the changes are coming in way too fast.

peace brothers!
Gary

I think it was 1949 maybe '50 when a blizzard hit Seattle. And I had to walk a half mile to school in the snow. My kids don't believe it. I do remember it was a mess.

That photo shows quit a few film users in the NW!

Gary, what is "Save the Ave" about?

Is it "the Ave" in the University District?

What must we save it from?

Thanks.

- Murray

There was a blizzard in Seattle in 1971 or 72... I was living in Northgate then and worked at Boeing in Renton. The first day of the heavy snow I set out for work on my Honda SL350 bike and slithered bravely to Renton not knowing the lady across the street had tried to get my attention about the radio report that Boeing had closed up for the day. Indeed they had, so I just turned around and slipped/slid home... ;)

Yikes, hadn't seen that photo, I'm the fat old guy there in the vest and plaid shirt.
Yeah, I'll probably go. Last year myself and another old timer helped a couple of young folks to check out something they were interested in buying. Also made suggestions on film and developing at home options. That was the highlight of the whole show for me.

Gary, what is "Save the Ave" about?
Is it "the Ave" in the University District?
What must we save it from?

Hi Murray,

We have to save the Ave from the Seattle City council's approval to up zone. Here is a good writeup.

Basically all the food venues, culture and small retailers will be booted for apartments housing easing the shortage Seattle city is experiencing. I can see both sides of the coin but its sad because the little guy rarely wins.

The days of drinking a brew at Big Time then hopping over to Kiku to get a katsudon rice bowl has already disappeared. $5 was enough to feed 2 people for couple of days!

I've seen many changes in the Ave over the years. There were several vinyl shops where you could find any album you ever wanted. Many of us complained about Ken's Camera and his prices but he had some nifty stuff and was a great guy to kibitz with even if you couldn't afford his prices.

Food from all cultures of the world you could choose from.

Oh the agony...

Gary

Hi Murray,

We have to save the Ave from the Seattle City council's approval to up zone. Here is a good writeup.

Basically all the food venues, culture and small retailers will be booted for apartments housing easing the shortage Seattle city is experiencing. I can see both sides of the coin but its sad because the little guy rarely wins.

The days of drinking a brew at Big Time then hopping over to Kiku to get a katsudon rice bowl has already disappeared. $5 was enough to feed 2 people for couple of days!

I've seen many changes in the Ave over the years. There were several vinyl shops where you could find any album you ever wanted. Many of us complained about Ken's Camera and his prices but he had some nifty stuff and was a great guy to kibitz with even if you couldn't afford his prices.

Food from all cultures of the world you could choose from.

Oh the agony...

Gary

Thanks, Gary. I signed the petition.

I attended the UW between 1970 and 1975. My memories of the Ave include many little artisan shops that have long since disappeared, as it is. This move sounds like one designed to take the U District away from the students and to subvert the local university culture. Very troubling, indeed.

- Murray

Luckily, the Big Time (at least) has a very long term lease and is fairly well protected if the city moves ahead on the rezone.

Thanks, Gary. I signed the petition.

I attended the UW between 1970 and 1975. My memories of the Ave include many little artisan shops that have long since disappeared, as it is. This move sounds like one designed to take the U District away from the students and to subvert the local university culture. Very troubling, indeed.

- Murray

Those were the exact years of my attendance! How did we not run across each other?

Those were the exact years of my attendance! How did we not run across each other?

Larry, we may well have gotten lost in a crowd of about 35,000 students. I majored in languages and linguistics, graduated and lived in and out of the country, then ended up a social worker in Central Washington.

Whereabouts were you on campus?

- Murray

Larry, we may well have gotten lost in a crowd of about 35,000 students. I majored in languages and linguistics, graduated and lived in and out of the country, then ended up a social worker in Central Washington.

Whereabouts were you on campus?

- Murray

I pretty much covered the entire campus. First year was in Engineering, second and third was spent in Physical Oceanography, last year (plus a quarter) was getting my degree in Mathematics (Numerical Analysis). Of course, it could be due to my using an Olympus OM-1 the whole time, no rangefinder!

:D

I pretty much covered the entire campus. First year was in Engineering, second and third was spent in Physical Oceanography, last year (plus a quarter) was getting my degree in Mathematics (Numerical Analysis). Of course, it could be due to my using an Olympus OM-1 the whole time, no rangefinder!

:D

There's the problem! I had a lowly demo-model Yashica TL Super with M42 lens mount and stop-down metering.

(I loved that camera, though, and I got some memorable images with it.)

- Murray

Luckily, the Big Time (at least) has a very long term lease and is fairly well protected if the city moves ahead on the rezone.

I bet you helped chip in on the lease for that guaranteed Old Sol fix :D

I like to see some shots from those cameras you and Murray carried back in the day. That is an amazing story for both of you!

My wife attended in the late 90's, majored in forestry, ended up as a grade school teacher. Anyway her professor held study class at Big Time. She told me you have to come down to taste the great food and the home brewed beer, before the "craft" frenzy era took effect. I was hooked!

I bet you helped chip in on the lease for that guaranteed Old Sol fix :D

I like to see some shots from those cameras you and Murray carried back in the day. That is an amazing story for both of you!

My wife attended in the late 90's, majored in forestry, ended up as a grade school teacher. Anyway her professor held study class at Big Time. She told me you have to come down to taste the great food and the home brewed beer, before the "craft" frenzy era took effect. I was hooked!

Please sit down Gary, I hate to be the one to have to tell you this.

With the new ownership, they made the decision to drop Old Sol from the production menu! Old Wooly is still being made (they told me that if they dropped it, an angry mob with pitchforks and torches would be at their door).

If we get a meeting soon, we may still be able to enjoy a snifter of Old Wooly! If not, they currently have Whiny the Complainer and Save the Ave IPA, not to mention a healthy selection of other fine brews.

:cool:

Gary, I still have the slides from 1972, but I don't have a scanner or photos on the cloud, so I can't post them here.

It occurs to me that I still see those old images through the eyes of my 1972 self, when photography with a serious camera was fresh, viewing through and SLR finder was magic, and seeing photographically was a new adventure. If I took them now, I might not be as impressed. :(

- Murray

Please sit down Gary, I hate to be the one to have to tell you this.

With the new ownership, they made the decision to drop Old Sol from the production menu!

Larry I'm shocked but not surprised, first the katsudon now the Old Sol. I guess we have to accept change. My wife can replicate the katsudon, I wonder if we could obtain the process for making the Sol?

I've been making concord wine for some time now from a nice old vine of white and red grapes. Lately I've been blending my yearly batches wit a 2008 vintage. I have some port now aging for a 2018 batch.
40267553513_c3377af129_n.jpg
1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7861/40267553513_c3377af129_n.jpg');" border="0"> 1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7861/40267553513_c3377af129_n.jpg');" border="0">

Gary

Gary, I still have the slides from 1972, but I don't have a scanner or photos on the cloud, so I can't post them here.

It occurs to me that I still see those old images through the eyes of my 1972 self, when photography with a serious camera was fresh, viewing through and SLR finder was magic, and seeing photographically was a new adventure. If I took them now, I might not be as impressed. :(

I totally understand Murray. I have a hard time getting through one roll of film now days. Digital doesn't excite me any. I really have to focus on one thing or event then go out and shoot. Now what does excite me is taking a large format loaded with E6 and shooting something fun. Putting those slides on a light table is like looking at pure magic evolve before your eyes.

Taking Kodachrome out of my bag also put another nail in the photo coffin.

Gary

Hi Gary. Been super busy with work. I do have some new Rollie photos. Have you been shooting much? Let me know what everyone decides. I on for splitting a table. Lots of gear I’m not using. Too bad the Vancover show want much. You Win some and loose some. Kent would be fun. Let me know how much I can meet up with you at Kenmore?

Back