Second M8 with major problems right out of the box!

KenBPhotos

Local time
1:32 PM
Some of you might remember me. I bought an M8 about a month ago and the shutter was very loud and then it got the dreaded red vertical line problem. This was within like two weeks time mind you. I return that M8 and get another one in excellent condition. Looks amazing and the shutter is nice and quiet so I was very very happy. I think it even has a sapphire screen and it sounds like it has the quieter shutter in it but it has the 1/8000th option so I'm not sure. It is MAJORLY different sounding than the first M8 I had. This is a 3199 serial and the other one was 3109 serial so maybe that has something to do with it? I'm pretty new to Leica so bear with me...

Anyway, with that back history said I started using this camera today and noticed that the focusing was getting sticky, as in it was getting stuck and not working. So I take the lens off and tried to manual move the focusing roller and it basically was frozen. I tried to work it in and I have it at a point where it's moving but it's not smooth and it's only bouncing back sometimes. With the lens on it goes to infinity then gets stuck. THIS IS SO ANNOYING!!! - the second M8 with major problems right out of the box. I don't understand how you guys deal with these problems. My Canons never had a problem, ever. It's really unbelievable that two separate cameras exhibit different major major fatal issues that prevent me from using them. I'm not sure if this is a sign from the Leica gods that they're not for me or what the deal is, but I am really really frustrated here.

My questions is can this be easily fixed? I am willing to almost pay out of pocket to get it fixed quickly. I just want to use this camera. I love the images it produces and the feel and everything about it except for the massive unreliability. Is this a normal problem? Can I fix it? I know these things are precision instruments but I'm really close to figuring out how this thing goes together so I can fix it if there's any problems. I've done this in the past with other things that I loved but that are unreliable (cars, etc.) Please let me know! Thanks guys (and girls).

Send it in to Leica and have them give you an estimate. Anything else and you're just going to be frustrated, it sounds like.

where are you buying these cameras from? online?

you really should be checking for problems BEFORE buying it.....or buy it from a place with a return policy. Saving a couple bucks is sort of pointless if it ends up costing you lots of $$ to repair it.

Knowing my skills I would top it off, this isn't difficult, and possibly check where the hard point is in the focusing cam/lever.
A focusing lever stuck sometimes at the end of its travel seems to me like an easy solution can be found.
However swim at your own risk or have it fixed or returned.

I got both of them from keh.com. The first one was exchanged with this one. They are really nice there and will refund my money or exchange it or get it fixed but I don't buy things to immediately send them off to be repaired. It seems like they don't really care about what they are selling and that makes it basically a lottery for the buyers which obviously is not acceptable.

I've been looking around for a while and have not found one instance of this problem.

goodtimes, how hard is it to take off the top plate? Do you have a link to how to do that? I don't have specialty tools but I have jewelers screwdrivers and things like that. I know it's something stupid. It just feels like it needs a touch of grease somewhere. This camera is in amazing shape and I love how quiet the shutter is so I wouldn't mind putting a few hours into it to get this straightened out.

I don't understand how you guys deal with these problems. My Canons never had a problem, ever.
Never had any such problems with the M8. Every Canon I have owned or used for an extended period, on the other hand, has failed me at least once. These things happen.

I would advise sending it back to KEH for replacement. Again. I'm sure they're motivated to make sure you're happy, certainly now. I understand the frustration, but any other approach will sacrifice any support from KEH, especially if you opt to dig into it yourself! Good luck.

It is a sad fact that people often sell equipment because something is wrong with it. And selling or trading in to a large retailer is a good way to hide the fault and get rid of the camera 'under the radar'.

The large retailers often give things a cursory check and rely on it working, or if it doesn't work they have the repair network to sort it out for the new customer, but only after you paid for it. This does mean that the bigger dealers have a stock of secondhand equipment that has a higher concentration of faulty items. In this sense even Ebay may be a better bet for buying a good camera from an honest individual. But even better are the smaller dealers, who care more about the stock they have because faults and returns have a bigger impact on their business.

I would, but I'm not 100% sure of how to take the top off. I'm also a little freaked out after seeing the thread where the guy completely takes his M8 apart. It's like taking a rolex apart. I think I'll just send it back.

KenBPhotos is interested in having the problem resolved quickly.

Leica owners will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but after reading years of posts about Leica repairs on RFF I don't think there's anyway to have the repair done quickly.

Do the cameras have to go back to Germany for everything? Are there any non-Leica repair shops that done have a long, long backlog?

I wonder if KEH, a company Inuse and respect, iis knowledgable about cameras that are not mainstream products.

From your description it sounds like any good leica repairman can fix the issue. So DAG, Sherry, take your pick. No need to send it to Leica.

However, I STRONGLY recommend going back to KEH with this. They will be highly motivated to get it right especially if you express your frustration to them. They will pay for return shipping, you'll just need the additional patience to wait yet another week.

you're getting some pretty terrible advice from some people advising it to fix it yourself. no way. you should definitely return it back to KEH, who seem like nice people every time i've communicated with them. Maybe shoot them a phone call and have a discussion with them about the issue....not just by email.

you're getting some pretty terrible advice from some people advising it to fix it yourself. no way. you should definitely return it back to KEH, who seem like nice people every time i've communicated with them. Maybe shoot them a phone call and have a discussion with them about the issue....not just by email.

This, when purchasing equipment from a company which aims to sell used equipment I think it's best to show them that something they've missed in their inspection process.

I'm sorry to hear your troubles; but it's kinda caveat emptor with digital Leica M's.. I hope it can be resolved without much pain.

From your description it sounds like any good leica repairman can fix the issue. So DAG, Sherry, take your pick. No need to send it to Leica.

However, I STRONGLY recommend going back to KEH with this. They will be highly motivated to get it right especially if you express your frustration to them. They will pay for return shipping, you'll just need the additional patience to wait yet another week.

What about all those posts about how slow DAG and Sherry are? Didn't the OP clearly say he was in a hurry ?

Send it back and they would surely sort out the repair don't start taking things to bits even if it is an easy fix.

Absolutely.

I had an issue with a Leica M film camera that I purchased from KEH. I gave them a call, and in no time (while I was still on the phone with them) KEH e-mailed me a paid shipping label for me to return the camera. It was actually a very simple process. The camera was fixed and returned to me quickly. This is the advantage of buying from a retailer.

+1+1+1!!!!

Back