Second M8 with major problems right out of the box!

KenBPhotos is interested in having the problem resolved quickly.

Leica owners will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but after reading years of posts about Leica repairs on RFF I don't think there's anyway to have the repair done quickly.

Do the cameras have to go back to Germany for everything? Are there any non-Leica repair shops that done have a long, long backlog?

I wonder if KEH, a company Inuse and respect, iis knowledgable about cameras that are not mainstream products.
Maybe you should read some more. Leica has a two day turnaround express service.

The second M8 you got from KEH seems to be a good one with quiet shutter, sapphire, etc.

The focus coupling is a minor mechanical problem. Since the sensor and everything else is good, send it back to KEH and tell them to fix this one, and return it to you. They can calibrate the focus at the same time.

Don't send it to Leica, and forget the "Sherry DAG" parroting. KEH will fix it for free and you should have a good camera.

If you had a bad sensor, that is a very serious problem, the focus linkage is not.

I'm going to take it to Leica to get fixed on Monday after this crazy storm. ^^ I'm curious as to why you would have KEH fix it over Leica though. I would think they are the better choice. The good news is it actually loosened up pretty nicely and its useable albeit with the occasional sticking at close focus distances. At least I can use it over the weekend. This camera is in exceptionally nice condition. It definitely just has the normal shutter considering it has the 8000th shutter too. I am really shocked that I was told it's ok for the shutter to sound the way it did in my previous post. Do they really have that much variance from camera to camera? This new camera is like whisper quiet compared to the previous one. It actually shocked people when I hit the shutter it was so loud.

Got a Fuji GA645Zi from KEH. Light leaks and grinding zoom sound; sent it back, got an immediate replacement, so far working just fine. I'd send it back and request a) a refund; or b) a replacement.

You bought it from KEH and they will fix it free.

Your problem is not some major thing that can only be fixed by Leica, it is a minor adjustment.

If you take it to Leica they will charge you an arm and a leg, and probably will add unwanted extras to the repair bill.

It's your money and your camera, do what you want.

I'm going to take it to Leica to get fixed on Monday after this crazy storm. ^^ I'm curious as to why you would have KEH fix it over Leica though. I would think they are the better choice. The good news is it actually loosened up pretty nicely and its useable albeit with the occasional sticking at close focus distances. At least I can use it over the weekend. This camera is in exceptionally nice condition. It definitely just has the normal shutter considering it has the 8000th shutter too. I am really shocked that I was told it's ok for the shutter to sound the way it did in my previous post. Do they really have that much variance from camera to camera? This new camera is like whisper quiet compared to the previous one. It actually shocked people when I hit the shutter it was so loud.

Back