"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept"

say Hi to Pasadena Engine 37...

Pasadena, Los Angeles County, USA

Img by Taipei-metro

Panasonic mFT G6,
Zuiko OM 50mmF1.8 Fullframe Lens made in Japan

Sometimes blur works because it actually helps the feeling of a shot - I have sometimes seen this used to effect in the likes of old publications such as "Life". This old photo, made over 20 years ago on slide film, (probably 100 ISO) was taken in Gianyar, Bali and represents one of the characters in the famed and very characteristic "Barong and Kris" dance of the Balinese culture. The "Barong" is the "John Wayne" of the story - the good guy and "white hat." The figure here is Rangda - the evil demon queen and villain of the plot which is all about good ultimately triumphing over evil.

(Sidebar moment - Good triumphing over evil - what a refreshing thought in this post-modern world where youngsters especially seem to be propagandized to the point that they too often actively support evil over good. ("It's "sketchy" man - you old guys would not understand, that's who I am.......just check out the satanist art-work on my exclusive $450 T shirt and $900 sneakers." OK I am making that up but it's not far off the mark. Anyway, sorry I am off track and now I am just kvetching. ) :)

Most of these performances were put on for tourists in an open air fore-court at evening and were lit by either very Rube Goldberg / Heath Robinson electrical lights or old-fashioned oil lamps. Hence the warm lighting ambience. And the movement blur. Somehow it seems to help capture the highly charged atmosphere that was present. As I view it I can almost hear the frantic sound of the Gamalan orchestra rising to a crescendo and see the sweat on the faces of the orchestra members.

Ih5T3Vs.jpg

Last edited:
Shibuya Crossing 渉谷 交換,

Tokyo, Japan

Img by Taipei-metro

Panasonic mFTG6,
14-42 Zuiko
I really love this photo. It's just so emotional. Really captures the theme and feeling of the thread. I know you posted it a while ago, but I'm just now catching up on RFF.

32 days till Christmas...

Arcadia, Los Angeles County, USA

Img by Taipei-metro

Canon EOS AF T4i,
Canon Lens 18-55 Japan
One more example (and there are countless others) of what will have me hiding under the bed until December 26. Make it stop, please, make it stop!!!!

all the leaves are brown and the sky is Gray...🎶

Arcadia, Los Angeles County, USA

Img by Taipei-metro

Canon EOS APSC T4i,
Canon Lens 18-55

Taitung County, southern Taiwan

on a Street Stage

Photo by Taipei-metro

Canon EOS AF 10S,
Sigma EF 28-105 fullframe Lens made in Japan
Fuji XTRA 400 printFilm

Back