sharpness with the eos m...

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
7:22 AM
i have not been shooting all that much lately but when i do go out i have been using the eos m...still trying to get more comfortable with the size/shape of the camera.
my results have been disappointing in that many of my images have not been very sharp...i don't think it's the gear as i do get some very sharp images at times...is this a common experience to new m users?
i hope that with more practice i can master the machine as i really like the eos m and it's lenses.

Just guessing Joe.. is it because you can't brace it against your forehead? Maybe use a higher shutter speed to compensate for any camera movement?

My EOS M is as sharp as any other APS-C Canon sensor. I guess it could be lens-restricted, but the 22mm is sharp too.

The EOS M has a loud shutter...maybe it's shutter vibration in addition to slowish shutter speeds?

i'm wondering if i'm a bit more shaky these days...i know the lenses are good...it could be not having it up against my forehead is the culprit.
i had the sony rx100 and shot it away from the body as it also had no internal vf, and i got very sharp images with it...

I'm very happy with the sharpness of the images I get from my M. I'm not a big fan on how the camera renders JPEGS (I know, shoot RAW), but image sharpness is excellent. Note, I only have the 22mm pancake lens.

Jim B.

Hello Joe,
Have you tried shooting manually with Auto ISO, so that you are setting a minimum shutter speed that you are happy with?

i haven't had sharpness issues, but i definitely think more about holding still with the m than with a viewfinder camera.

i recently got one of these and really like it. i find myself using it even when it's sunny out because it's so light to bring along. fwiw, some folks aren't comfortable with the velbon locking/unlocking mechanism (you rotate the legs and they click - it requires some feel), but i'm used to it from one of their travel tripods.
http://tinyurl.com/nynzg5o

i suspect that as mentioned higher shutter speed and getting used to it will give you better results.

i've been thinking about that too...though it kind of defeats the purpose of such a nice small cmaera...

The design of this class of camera makes it difficult to hold steady. Without an eyelevel VF that allows/forces you to hold it against your face you won't be able to hold it as steady. Perhaps you can find an optical VF to fit the shoe that will approximate the FOV of your lens and aid it better support.

Try using a shortish neck strap and bracing against that by pulling forward, with the neck taking the strain. I find this has helped with the Ricoh GXR and zoom module at slow sppeds.

Try using a shortish neck strap and bracing against that by pulling forward, with the neck taking the strain. I find this has helped with the Ricoh GXR and zoom module at slow sppeds.

i do have a short strap with 'blad ends to fit perfectly on the m...i should try that.
i'm having trouble even outside at higher shutter speeds.

I use this trick quite often with my Hasselblad.

Or the modified version of this trick...

in_bo%28d%29y_stabilisation.jpg

... I'm having to go to faster speeds because of shake ... age, meds and that

I keep looking at the digital M's but that DF could probably be a better bet ... and now Frank has passed to the other side I don't feel as bad about using digi IS to keep things going a bit longer

... I'm having to go to faster speeds because of shake ... age, meds and that

I keep looking at the digital M's but that DF could probably be a better bet ... and now Frank has passed to the other side I don't feel as bad about using digi IS to keep things going a bit longer

yes, with frank going over to the dark side i believe this opens the world up for many and varied major changes...i never thought that i would live to see the day...

Never had a problem with sharpness of the results, just don't enjoy holding the camera far enough away for my old eyes to see the screen. Hold your breath and squeeze that button gently...:)
If I had the spare money I'd get an M3 and EVF ASAP!

This was handheld at 1/20th, the noise from ISO 6400 is more of a problem than lack of sharpness.

16733434693_74a3b81a7c_c.jpg

Hi Joe

Do you have any stabalized lenses for your M?
Also, from my experience coming from Canon to Fuji.
Fuji has a sharper ooc file than Canon. You may wish to up the sharpening a bit in camera.
Or... pick up your fuji bag on days when sharpness matters most :)

used the fuji yesterday for my walk...much sharper results...
i'm thinking it's my shooting technique with the canon that is doing me in. i think i need better concentration coupled with more awareness of what my hands/arms are doing when i press the shutter on the m.

and yes, i have the all m lenses, all stabilized except for the 22 i believe.

Back