Shoot a camera, not a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2013 more than 40,000 people will die in car accidents. These deaths are no less tragic than any others, yet there will be no increased regulation of licenses, or improvements in driver education. The AARP will continue it's fight against more frequent tests for older drivers, just as the NRA fights against more regulation of guns.

5mph bumpers? Safety glass? Seatbelts? Airbags? Collapsible steering columns? Not to say anything of licenses and registration existing in the first place, people having to demonstrate at least some proficiency at using a car in order to own and operate one.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that cars are dangerous but nobody cares and nobody does anything about it. Over the past 30 years regulations have made cars much safer than they used to be.

More people probably died in car crashes on Friday night than died in the shooting. So why aren't people calling that a tragedy and talking about banning cars? They represent 10 plus 9/11s a year. Terror and carnage, oh my!

See above. Lots of people complain, lots of people have lobbied, lots of changes have been made and continue to be made. Our cars are safer because of it. It certainly would not have happened if everybody just rolled over and said "well if people don't die in cars, they'll die on bicycles and ships!". :) Not that I think this is a joking matter, but it's hard to type with a straight face when thinking about some of these ideas.

Footnote, catching up on recent posts as I've typed this one the thread seems to be heading downhill...maybe this may get it back on track. Or not. I've appreciated the respectful conversation on a contentious and emotive issue until now, so it would be disappointing to see it deteriorate to the point it's closed, as inevitable as that might appear.
Cheers,
Brett

I think it was going well and respectfully until a couple of people came in spouting non-sequiturs and acting rudely to everybody else in the thread. But hopefully this thread may continue in a respectful and open manner even so.

Although if by magic every gun was swapped for a camera one day, I don't think anybody here could say the world would be worse for it. :angel:

Amending the Constitution is not simply a matter of the president getting backing. It's a lot more complicated than that.

Yes I understand that, but the mentality shown here suggests not many people even considerate it a problem or want to support it

If you don't live here in America then you have no say & don't understand our culture of gun ownership.

Well with all due respect you are happy for your culture to be exported all over the world.We put up with it,so you can man up and deal with a little critisism , and remember that being offended is nothing more than whining.
Your culture has spent decades telling the rest of us how superior it is - or was perhaps. Not all of us have been taken in by the hype.

Yes I understand that, but the mentality shown here suggests not many people even considerate it a problem or want to support it

There are 200,000,000 guns in America. If guns were made illegal, and 2/3 of these guns were turned in, that would still leave a staggering amount left, and those which remained would be left primarily in the hands of criminals.

In America people are not subjects, or simply members of society, they are citizens with rights, and a surprising amount of power and authority. If I as a citizen witness a crime, I have the power and authority to arrest And detain the criminal myself. If I see a police officer or soldier commit a crime, I have the same authority to arrest and detain them. Where else in the world do preople have such rights?

Guns are not a problem, cars are not a problem, drugs are not a problem, people are problems. A gun is an inert instrument incapable of operating itself, just as a car is. It takes a hand under the instruction of a mind to operate these devices. In America we trust people to make the right decisions, freedom comes with a great amount of personal responsibility. If you want an absolutely safe society, you can imprison everyone in rubber rooms, regulate their diet, force them to exercise regularly, and force them to eat with their fingers. But even with all these measures, people will still find a way to harm each other. There would be far less violence, and people might live longer lives, but personally, I would prefer living in the current system.

I now live in Japan, where the guns have been illegal for generations, and where crimes are strictly punished, yet there are stories of murders in the papers every day. Despite a ban on weapons, guns are routinely used in crimes, even the mayor of Nagasaki was killed with a gun not so long ago. The lack of guns simply means people use knives, rope, poison, or blunt objects to kill.

One must remember that in America, the second amendment is written with the same ink and on the same paper as the other amendments, and if it can be struck down or removed, so can the other amendments. As for "a well regulated militia" this is the most misunderstood part of the amendment. Who exactly does the regulating of the militia or military? It is not the president, courts, or congress, but the people themselves. The militia or military is regulated by a powerful citizenry, who's power rests partly in arms. The supreme court understood this, and affirmed that the second amendment is an individual right.

One can argue the America system is broken, but it is not, it is working as it should. Those who would argue otherwise should travel to other parts of the world and see how most of the world lives. America is not a new country, but it now has the oldest unchanged government in the world. There is no such thing as a perfect society, and I have lived in enough countries to know that. You have to take the bad with the good, however painful it may sometimes be. By reducing the bad, you have the unintended consequence of reducing the good as well.

I'll take America as it is, the good, bad, and the ugly, over anywhere else.

You have to agree though that it would make a massive difference if guns were out of the equation.

It would make no difference at all. Guns kill about 12000 people a year in America. Most of those are suicides, the rest are police shootings, self defense, and murders. Considering a population of 300,000,000, and a number of guns equivalent to 2/3 of that, the amount of gun crime is negligible at best.

Remarkable, isn't it? But to listen to the news and politicians you would think the streets were running with blood under a hail of bullets fired from automatic guns.

It would make no difference at all. Guns kill about 12000 people a year in America. Most of those are suicides, the rest are police shootings, self defense, and murders. Considering a population of 300,000,000, and a number of guns equivalent to 2/3 of that, the amount of gun crime is negligible at best.

Remarkable, isn't it? But to listen to the news and politicians you would think the streets were running with blood under a hail of bullets fired from automatic guns.

A bit over half of those deaths are suicides, true, but about 40% of them are murders. Self defense and police shootings account for a smidgeon, maybe even less than accidental shootings - if you count accidents not resulting in deaths, you pile on another 15,000 shootings to the figure.

And apparently, according to a number of sources gun injuries and death outpace auto injuries and death in a few states.

Skyrocketed to what? They have what? 60 gun deaths a year maybe, vs. our tens of thousands?

This is one of the biggest problems with America's thinking, and probably why nothing will change. People think it is okay to carry a weapon for protection. You realise that by carrying a weapon you are endangering the lives of others?

Please cite sources. Here's one I came across recently (here probably):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

Number of homicides by firearm: 9146
With less than 5% of the world's population, the United States is home to roughly 35–50 per cent of the world's civilian-owned guns, heavily skewing the global geography of firearms and any relative comparison

The key facts are:

• The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people
But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people

A bit over half of those deaths are suicides, true, but about 40% of them are murders. Self defense and police shootings account for a smidgeon, maybe even less than accidental shootings - if you count accidents not resulting in deaths, you pile on another 15,000 shootings to the figure.

And apparently, according to a number of sources gun injuries and death outpace auto injuries and death in a few states.

Yes, but ironically enough, gun crime in America seems to be worst in those places where owning guns is illegal. And, you have to consider that in most cases, guns used in self defense situations are not fired, and no one is shot, the sight of the gun is enough to end the altercation. Even criminals are smart enough to run away when a gun is pointed at them, and most non-criminals are reluctant to shoot someone else, even in self defense.

And, even in the worst case estimates of gun violence, the amount of violence remains quite small considering the size of the population, and the number of guns in circulation. Also, the amount of gun violence is continuing a downward trend, despite ever-increasing numbers of guns.

Jubb jubb

Thank you for this thread, living 1 hour away from where this happened
has effect us all here, but your right. Things are only going to change here
when this country truly wants it.

Range

Thanks Range-rover.
I hope you aren't directly affected by the events of last week.

Unfortunately i think nothing will ever change over there.

Please cite sources. Here's one I came across recently (here probably):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

Number of homicides by firearm: 9146

I'll have to be cynical, as it seems a bit weird to judge a death rate per gun owned, instead of gun deaths per capita.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc.../crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl08.xls

In 2010 there were 8,775 murders committed with firearms in the U.S., as compared to about 50 in the UK. Or - get this - eleven in Japan: http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/ In 2006 there were only two shooting deaths there.

Per capita the U.S. has more gun deaths than any other industrialized country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Edit: this article provides an interesting visual comparison that considers per capita and guns owned http://www.businessinsider.com/shooting-gun-laws-2012-12

What if they didn't have the gun in the first place? this is my point. Take the guns out of the equation.

A gun endangers lives. At any point you could take it out only for it to be taken off you and used against you. Then it is a danger.

Luckily I live in a country where guns are near impossible to find/get/use.
That is true safety.

Ok, take all the guns away. If he had a knife, should I knife it out with him?

If he attacked me with his fists, I should go fist to fist?

I'm a small guy and will need every advantage I can get.

What if they didn't have the gun in the first place? this is my point. Take the guns out of the equation.

A gun endangers lives. At any point you could take it out only for it to be taken off you and used against you. Then it is a danger.

Luckily I live in a country where guns are near impossible to find/get/use.
That is true safety.

I will take my chances that a gun will be used against me.

What country are you in?

In regards to the right to keep and bear arms in America, keep in mind that in America all citizens are supposed to be equal. The military, police, etc. are not supposed to have rights over and above any other citizen, the second amendment is as much about defense against government tyranny as it is about self defense. It may sound unenecessary or irrelevant, but then again, it may not be.

I don't suppose anyone here was present at the riots in Los Angeles back in 1992. I was, and I remember mobs of looters robbing, burning, and killing with impunity. 911 did not work, callers received a busy signal, and even in the few places where the police were present, they stood down, or, worse, simply ran away. If the police won't defend you or your property, who will?

1100 buildings were burned in my city, many were killed, hundreds were injured, and no help was to be found. A few managed to help themselves, a few store owners armed with guns prevented their businesses from being looted or burned. The store where I worked was not so lucky, a car was driven through the doors, everything of value was stolen, and then the building was burned to the ground.

I am talking about Los Angeles, California, the largest city in the wealthiest state and wealthiest country in the world. If even in such a place the authorities we place our trustin can't help us, then we should at least be allowed the means to help ourselves.

It's amazing how people don't see things in perspective. The shootings were tragic, and 26 people won't be here to celebrate the holidays with their families. But on the other hand, violent crimes in America have been decreasing for more than 40 years. Statistically speaking, the UK and Australia have higher rates of vilolence than America, despite their bans on all weapons.

In 2013 more than 40,000 people will die in car accidents. These deaths are no less tragic than any others, yet there will be no increased regulation of licenses, or improvements in driver education. The AARP will continue it's fight against more frequent tests for older drivers, just as the NRA fights against more regulation of guns.

In America I am a gun owner, and I have a permit to carry a weapon or firearm. I went through the fingerprints, background checks, paid the fees, took the classes, band eventually received the permit. I have never pointed a gun at anyone. I was once attacked by two men trying to break into a storage facility. I raised my shirt, the saw the gun, and immediately fled. In America guns are used in self defense on a daily basis, but are rarely actually fired.

Americans live in a "free society", but in such a society, freedoms are often abused. It is to be expected. But I prefer such a society, and would not like it to change.

Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.

You seem to have mistaken my idea that gun owners should be at least a tad responsible, and tad respectful of other people's property and lives, as saying that guns and hunting are inherently evil. Very funny. :D

Replace gun with cars or any other inanimate object and get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back