Shooting Eastman (Double-X) 5222 in the Leica

Scan-150212-0003 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vanilla Creme Puffs at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village. Minolta SRT-101, 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor wide-open, Eastman 5222 Double-X movie film. Processed in straight Microdol-X developer. Scanned on an Minolta DiImage II scanner. Some German beer, a Bavarian Bratwurst, and one of these, and I am good to go.

I'm enjoying shooting XX in medium format. Have done some with Hasselblad 6x6, and Plaubel Makina II 6.5x9cm.

Using 120 XX in the Olde Venerable Makina II, is a lot of the buzz you get with Olde Leicas, but in a larger format.
Even buzzier than Barnacks. :) It's not lightweight but it does fold up for traveling. EI 200 film speed XX in the Makina is a very good thing.

Kodak XX 120 D23 1:1 Minolta Autocord TLR by Nokton48, on Flickr

First rolls freshly developed Eastman Double-X XX 120 in Minolta Autocord twin lens reflex 6x6. D23 1:1 JOBO Multitank 5 (six roll capacity) Unicolor Uniroller. 12 minutes at 68F. Beefy looking negatives as I am used to with 35mm XX. These will all be easy to print with the usually XX qualities but in the superior higher fidelity larger format. Bravo to the Creator of this! More coming I like this film :) Mucho Groovy

Last edited:
Kodak XX 120 D23 1to1 Plaubel Makina Back by Nokton48, on Flickr

First rolls freshly developed Eastman Double-X XX 120 in Plaubel Makina 6.5x9cm Film Back. Plaubel Makina II with 100mm F2.9 Soft High Speed Lens Anticomar. Also Plaubel Peco Junior View Camera with Broncolor Strobe Lighting. D23 1:1 JOBO Multitank 5 (six roll capacity) Unicolor Uniroller. 12 minutes at 68F. Beefy looking negatives as I am used to with 35mm XX. These will all be easy to print with the usually XX qualities but in the superior larger format. Bravo to the Creator of this! More coming I like this film :)

Last edited:
dawn&mollie by Nokton48, on Flickr

They drove all the way across town to hear my Son play in his rock band. We were all under golf umbrellas. Leica M2 XX 5222 Dr Blood Leica Developer It took four days to dissolve the phenidone in pure alchohol.
Dan, when you say "pure alcohol" are you talking about rubbing alcohol ? I'd try Everclear as it's 95% alcohol aka 195 proof.

Hey MFM,

95% Alcohol as I remember. TomA mentioned he got his to melt overnight. It did eventually dissolve, but MAN it took a while.
If I try it again (120 XX Maybe) I'll get a bottle of Everclear. Maybe I should try collodion LOL. Lane Dryplates are a fave of mine

Tom used 95% ethanol.

Get a heating magnetic stirrer plate - used from eBay or from Aliexpress is fine. Continuous stirring and a little heat makes it much easier. Just be careful not to heat too much and to ventilate well or you can autoignite the alcohol vapours. Also remember that the limit of solubility is 10g/100mL pure hot ethanol. Don’t try to over do it.

Marty

AD231127.jpg

Leica IIIg, Summicron, Double-X

Scan-150212-0003 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vanilla Creme Puffs at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village. Minolta SRT-101, 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor wide-open, Eastman 5222 Double-X movie film. Processed in straight Microdol-X developer. Scanned on an Minolta DiImage II scanner. Some German beer, a Bavarian Bratwurst, and one of these, and I am good to go.
Looks like you have some reticulation going on there.☹️. Perhaps you had some sudden change in temperature during processing/washing?

Nikon SP, Nikkor 35mm f1.8, Kodak 522 Double X, Developed with Rollei Supergrain 1+15. first two pictures, I used the Nikon close-up device attached to the 35mm f1.8 lens.
IMG2498.jpgIMG2300.jpgIMG2269.jpgIMG2307.jpgIMG2272.jpgIMG2283.jpg

Back