Should I sell my Noctilux for a 15mm Zeiss Distagon?

At the risk of starting yet another flame war, crop factor does not make a lens of one focal length become a lens of another focal length. All it does it crop the image. The characteristics of the lens (the distortion, angle of view and so on) does not change.

At the risk of starting yet another flame war, crop factor does not make a lens of one focal length become a lens of another focal length. All it does it crop the image. The characteristics of the lens (the distortion, angle of view and so on) does not change.

Ok..ok..You know what I mean. It has the equivalent field of view of the longer lens.

/T

hard to say...i can't imagine spending that kind of money on one lens, for either lens - but that's my budget reality.
the 15 has a good rep from the little i have read and the few web shots i have seen.
i am liking the 21/4.5 on the g1, a 42 in 35mm terms but sharp and small and if i need, i have the kit lens for something wider.
looking forward to a panasonic real wide lens.

i have found that selling gear that no longer interests me usually works out ok.

That's true, but has anyone ever developed a measurement of distortion across the full field of use? I do not remember one. I know folks measure it at the corners, but when looking at a lens with a crop factor I bet it's different.

Trade or not, depends on your style. That is a KICK A55 fast 100mm on a 4/3M, is that your style? You might look for some old prime lenses in C mount. While I do not think the quality will be as good as a modern ZI. I heard from some lens designers at Kodak that the smaller the area you need to cover, the easier it is to develop a world class lens.

You can get several and still have lots of cash in your pocket. Important in this economy.

B2 (;->

If it (the Zeiss) fits your needs, why not ? Better an expensive 15mm that you actually use than an expensive 50mm that collects dust ... ;)

(BTW, did you ever consider the 15mm CV ? I had used it with my former Epson R-D1s and found it to be an excellent lens ... :))

Why don't you look at the Voigtlander 15mm? Fantastic lens and it does not have the weight and size. Great contrast and definition.

Thanks for the suggestions on the CV lens. I will check it out. Looking at all these ridiculous prices is enough to drive one back into the arms of film full time. Why spend a fortune on very wide glass just to be able to use it on an inferior digital imager that film still matches or bests?

/T

Go for it! It's an incredible lens.

Here are just a few ...

p822123467-4.jpg

p896513418-3.jpg

p581422892-3.jpg

p482799234-4.jpg

p122265835-4.jpg

But yes, I think you should.
I wish I could buy your noct but funds don't exists.
I would love to see the Character and signature of the zeiss 15 cropped and used for up close portraiture, that could be something.

Edit:A "perfect" 30/2.8 seems like an amazing do it all lens. An 100/f.1 just sounds cool.

It isn't a 100/1. Its a cropped 50/1. If you cannot see the difference, then I suggest you do some more research on lens distortion (hint: there is a reason why ~85mm lens is considered good for 35mm head & shoulders portraiture).

I know the difference.
I also know how god damn far I have to be standing away to get the same image.
Argue about the silly **** later.

If you know, good. Others may not. And the point really is that it is _not_ the same image that you would capture with a 100mm lens.

Back