Should I sell my Noctilux for a 15mm Zeiss Distagon?

Lens costs - UK style

Lens costs - UK style

Thanks for the suggestions on the CV lens. I will check it out. Looking at all these ridiculous prices is enough to drive one back into the arms of film full time. Why spend a fortune on very wide glass just to be able to use it on an inferior digital imager that film still matches or bests?

/T

Yep,

I've recently bought a 15 Heliar on ebay for a very reasonable £175 including finder. I also bought a Biogon 35 f2, which is wonderful, and sold my Ultorn 35. All are much cheaper than any lens I would consider for my 1Ds3 - I've got a distagon 35 f2, but otherwise would be lokoing at over £1,000 for a 35 1.4L or more for a 24 1.4 L2... Thens there's the 14 2.8 and 50 1.2, 85 1.2, 200 2 ... The only vaguely reasonable lens I'd add at the moment is the 135 2 or 200 2.8, and both still cost more than they did 3 months ago.

I understand why, but it makes purcahse difficult psychologically. Best keep shooting I guess.

Mike

If you know, good. Others may not. And the point really is that it is _not_ the same image that you would capture with a 100mm lens.

Yes, and a 2x cropped 15/2.8 isn't going to be the same image captured by an actual 30.

But this G1 thing-a-ma-bobber changes everything.

Last edited:
How small is the G1 really? I'm thinking about getting one for my wife (yeah yeah!). She likes to take pictures, but she hates the big honkin' SLRs, so she chooses to use stupid P&S cameras. Even my old Canon 350XT was too big for her. So... how about it? Would I really be buying myself a gift?

The Zeiss, from everything I've heard about it - is a great lens. But then, the Nocti is no slouch either. Two totally different animals though. Go with whatever focal length and features you need (or want).

It's not RF coupled, keep that in mind.

Finally, if you just want 15mm and can live with a slower lens, the CV is a LOT less money. ;)

I have the Zeiss 15mm f/4 ZM and it is very sharp and RF coupled. I like it on the M8, but it is not a very exciting focal length on my G1. Also too big and heavy. I imagine that the 15 2.8 is even bulkier and heavier. I would save my pennies for the upcoming 7-14 or maybe Oly, Zeiss, or (gasp) even Leica may give us a sweet 10mm f/2. Wouldn't that be nice.

I have no complaints about the Viogtlander 15. She has her very own Bessa L body and I have an old genuine Leitz M adapter just in case I need to put her on another camera. If I could add fifty bucks and trade her on the Zeiss I wouldn't bother to do it.

I have no complaints about the Viogtlander 15. She has her very own Bessa L body and I have an old genuine Leitz M adapter just in case I need to put her on another camera. If I could add fifty bucks and trade her on the Zeiss I wouldn't bother to do it.
Well said!....that lens is plenty good enough for any of the 'fine art photogs' around here! ;)

Do you mean the 4/18 Distagon ZM perhaps?

If so, yes - I have that lens as well and it's great on the M8 as I missed having a 25mm focal length on it (which I love with film). Super sharp and very typical of the entire ZM line. It is on the larger side, I agree - but it's a lot smaller than the 15mm, not to mention cheaper - and indeed, is RF coupled. All reasons why I chose it over the 15mm. Lastly, it's nice to use the entire VF on the M8 rather than an external one, which I tend to despise (though for film, you need the VF).

Sorry, yes I meant the 4/18mm and not 15.

Last edited:
I have the Noctilux - which I use, occasionally, on my M8 - or even more rarely on my MP and Zeiss Ikon. I can very well understand that you want to trade it with something more useful. I have difficulties focusing mine properly. The precision of the eyesight needed to focus it is past my capabilities. - I have got the advice of using it with a viewfinder magnifier, which I will try. Still I feel that field of view of a 50 mm - particularly with the M8, is limited. - I have never felt comfortable with a 50 mm. A 35 or 28 mm is more 'normal' for me.

- Or something wider...

This Carl Zeiss 15 mm 2.8 is a hefty thing. That speed and picture angle do not come cheap. A crop factor, of some degree, will be around on any camera taking M-bayonett for quite a while. So, a fast wide angle lens is a smart investment. I know Carl Zeiss lenses from my Hasselblads. They are 'legendary good'.

I think that you will make smart swap trading your Noctilux in for this ZM 15 mm 2,8.

i purchased this lens about 2 weeks ago.
here's what i've liked so far.
great lens!
even better on the M8, which all of these are shot on (w/uv/ir)
i bought one which is coded to the WATE so i set it to 16mm.

3247004244_9e83c1ee90_o.jpg

3246170997_a0e223cae7_o.jpg

3246177491_1a7f2509fd_o.jpg

and a flash shot...

3242646882_f132ce4d85_o.jpg

and finally some noctilux M8 Shots...
to make you reconsider...

3252868214_a31eca2287_o.jpg

3251998806_83fb2de347_o.jpg

3248500689_c7829f109c_o.jpg

3205360325_73f3056c53_o.jpg

either way...
let me know what you're selling your NOCTI for, and which version, I just have a loaner...

hope this helps!

It's not RF coupled, keep that in mind.

Doesn't matter for the use (G1) he intends it for. The great thing about the G1 is all those uncoupled lenses can be focused with accuracy.

Keep in mind that resale prices on the 15/2.8 seem fairly low. I saw one for US$2600 that wouldn't even sell. That may be a consideration. I'd suggest buying the CV lens first (if you haven't already), trying it out and seeing if it calls to you, then decide whether to buy the ZM.

Totally unsolicited advice, but I think you should sell the Noct, finally buy the darn M8 as your digital M platform, and use the rest of the cash to get a ZM 21/2.8 and another lens: Hard to be specific since I can't keep up with what glass you already have, but the candidates could be a ZM 50/1.5... or how about the prices this month on the cron 28/2 from Robert White?

Doesn't matter for the use (G1) he intends it for. The great thing about the G1 is all those uncoupled lenses can be focused with accuracy.

Keep in mind that resale prices on the 15/2.8 seem fairly low. I saw one for US$2600 that wouldn't even sell. That may be a consideration. I'd suggest buying the CV lens first (if you haven't already), trying it out and seeing if it calls to you, then decide whether to buy the ZM.

Totally unsolicited advice, but I think you should sell the Noct, finally buy the darn M8 as your digital M platform, and use the rest of the cash to get a ZM 21/2.8 and another lens: Hard to be specific since I can't keep up with what glass you already have, but the candidates could be a ZM 50/1.5... or how about the prices this month on the cron 28/2 from Robert White?

I am beginning to see things your way. PhotoVillage has a used M8.2 for $5300. If I sell my Noctilux (available for $5K [it is like new]) I am home free. Any takers in this cr*py economic environment?

/T

Back