Show me a nice old car

Alfa Romeos parked in front of Motomachi Starbucks (part 1)
Turned out the owners were sitting right in front of the cars while I was photographing
The guy wearing a knit cap owns the red Junior and the guy with sunglasses owns the blue 2000​
DSCF1238.jpg

DSCF1239.jpg

Fujifilm X-E4, Fujinon 35mm f2 lens
Classic Chrome film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - February, 2023
Image resized smaller than original​

Alfa Romeos parked in front of Motomachi Starbucks (part 2)
The guy wearing the knit cap walked over to me smiling and I asked him if he was the owner?
He said the red one was his. I smiled and said both cars were beautiful. He smiled even wider and thanked me for the complement.​
DSCF1240.jpg

DSCF1242.jpg

DSCF1244.jpg

The noontime sunlight was terrible. My wife was waiting for me nearby; we were on a lunch date heading for a restaurant. I wanted to take better pictures but things didn't work out. That's life!

Alfa Romeos parked in front of Motomachi Starbucks (part 1)
Turned out the owners were sitting right in front of the cars while I was photographing
The guy wearing a knit cap owns the red Junior and the guy with sunglasses owns the blue 2000​
DSCF1238.jpg

DSCF1239.jpg

Two questions, @Yokosuka_Mike: First, did you take 10 more steps to take some photos of that GT-R, and second, what camera did the owner of the red Junior have? 😁

Two questions, @Yokosuka_Mike: First, did you take 10 more steps to take some photos of that GT-R, and second, what camera did the owner of the red Junior have? 😁

First: No, I didn't take 10 more steps... my wife was waiting and sometimes photography takes a backseat to wifey.

Second: Dourbalistar, your powers of observation are amazing! Were you standing next to us today? While I was talking to knit cap red junior he was also taking pictures of his own car. I think it was an inexpensive Nikon, hard to say for sure, I was more concerned about my wife; in our marriage she gives a lot and doesn't ask for much so I was trying to giver her all of my attention.

Thanks for asking!
Mike

First: No, I didn't take 10 more steps... my wife was waiting and sometimes photography takes a backseat to wifey.

Second: Dourbalistar, your powers of observation are amazing! Were you standing next to us today? While I was talking to knit cap red junior he was also taking pictures of his own car. I think it was an inexpensive Nikon, hard to say for sure, I was more concerned about my wife; in our marriage she gives a lot and doesn't ask for much so I was trying to giver her all of my attention.

Thanks for asking!
Mike
You're a good husband, @Yokosuka_Mike, hats off to you. Many of our wives are long-suffering and let us indulge our GAS. 😁 Luckily, you seem to have no shortage of classic cars out there in Yokohama!

"Kompressor", what a word! What a car!
This one looks a little rough around the edges but give me the keys, I'd love to take it for a spin​
DSC08718.jpg

DSC08719.jpg

Sony A7III, Sigma 65mm f2

my 2006 Honda S2000

Arcadia, Los Angeles County USA

Img by Taipei-metro

Lumix G6, Zuiko 14-42
Pana Standard pic Sty, Img file reduced-
fitting r F F

nice old Car... my

2006 Honda S2000 - Arcadia, Los Angeles County

Img by Taipei-metro

Lumix G6, Zuiko 14-42
pic Sty PanaStandard, file reduced fitting-
r F f

Mike, as to the 1956 Chev station wagon, it could have been brought in by a US serviceman and sold there rather than shipped back to the states at the end of the tour of duty. You'd know better than I how that worked in Japan... That seemed to happen quite a lot where I was stationed near Izmir Turkey. There was quite a demand for used cars from the USA and selling prices were good!

Mike, as to the 1956 Chev station wagon, it could have been brought in by a US serviceman and sold there rather than shipped back to the states at the end of the tour of duty. You'd know better than I how that worked in Japan... That seemed to happen quite a lot where I was stationed near Izmir Turkey. There was quite a demand for used cars from the USA and selling prices were good!
Hi Doug, the idea that this car was brought to Japan a long time ago by a U.S Military service member, or a U.S. Embassy employee (or something like that) is absolutely valid. But, back then those big V8 cars were not popular with the Japanese. They were too big for the roads, terrible fuel economy and road tax, registration, safety inspection and insurance would have been far too expensive. Plus there were so many cars made in Japan that were much better suited for Japan and far more economical to buy and maintain here.

Most of the American classic cars in Japan nowadays are owned by collectors and are nicer (much nicer!) than the 56 chevy that I posted a picture of. Hence I was so surprised to see the ‘56 lumbering down the road headed in my direction.

This classic Made in the USA Chevy that I spotted yesterday is the sort of thing that is more commonly found on the road around here.

DSC08762.jpg

All the best,
Mike

A Honda S2000 for Guth​
DSC08738.jpg

Sony A7III, Sigma 65mm f2
Very much appreciated. With the larger rear plastic window, this appears to be an earlier example from the first two years of production. The JDM 16" 6-spoke forged wheels seen here appeared on the S2000 prototype car — very cool. While not quite unobtanium, those wheels are pretty darn rare over here in the States.

While the S2000 is a relatively small car, it's funny to think just how much smaller the earlier S cars were, such as the S800 that you shared recently. Of course I enjoy seeing images of them all, along with all of the other older vehicles you manage to capture. The sheer diversity of older cars that you see over there is really impressive. The recent Alfa shots were great in their own way as they told a nice story about two fellow enthusiasts getting together with their respective examples of pride & joy. Please keep them coming!

Hi Doug, the idea that this car was brought to Japan a long time ago by a U.S Military service member, or a U.S. Embassy employee (or something like that) is absolutely valid. But, back then those big V8 cars were not popular with the Japanese. They were too big for the roads, terrible fuel economy and road tax, registration, safety inspection and insurance would have been far too expensive. Plus there were so many cars made in Japan that were much better suited for Japan and far more economical to buy and maintain here.

Most of the American classic cars in Japan nowadays are owned by collectors and are nicer (much nicer!) than the 56 chevy that I posted a picture of. Hence I was so surprised to see the ‘56 lumbering down the road headed in my direction.
I can understand how that wagon you captured is a bit perplexing, as you've explained. Had it been something like a Nomad on the other hand, then the possibility of an enthusiast purchase might have made a bit more sense. Whatever the back story, it sure stands out on the roads over there today — just as it would over here for that matter.

Back