Show me your Digital M

Too many zeros, Huss. They haven't made it past 11 yet. But is says 100 on the top plate, my mistake...

Ok I'll play -- Leica Monochrom 246 with my super-sweet 35/2 Summicron and IROOA hood (lens and hood belonged to my now-deceased uncle who was a commercial photographer), the Leica 1.25x magnifier, Leica half-case and Gordy strap.

Monochom Goggled Summicron V1
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I have another one that I'll show soon -- just waiting on an extra-special accessory for it.

Too many zeros, Huss. They haven't made it past 11 yet. But is says 100 on the top plate, my mistake...

My secret is out. I am a time traveller. And believe me you don't want to see what the limited edition Leicas look like in the future. Forget about the fake snake skin on the Grifter edition. Just wait until you see the mugato skin ones..

Okay you asked for it.....

Leica M-D 262, probably my favourite Leica ever (I know it's a crazy thing to say!). It's a adorned with a 65mm f/3.5 Elmar and a Visoflex III. But it's a pretty special kind of Visoflex III. Notice something missing?

Camcraft Z-Housing2
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Camcraft Z-Housing1
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

It’s one of those pellicle mirror housings built by Don Goldberg’s father. Pretty awesome. Less than 50 built according to Don. There is a spacer and no shutter release lever.

Marty

It’s one of those pellicle mirror housings built by Don Goldberg’s father. Pretty awesome. Less than 50 built according to Don. There is a spacer and no shutter release lever.

Marty

Don told me that his Dad made less than 100 with the beam-splitting prism (Visoflex II) and 10 or less with the Pellix mirror (Visoflex III).

Don told me that his Dad made less than 100 with the beam-splitting prism (Visoflex II) and 10 or less with the Pellix mirror (Visoflex III).

My comment is a quote from Don, although he didn’t specify of which type. I found one in the 1990s. Maybe he doesn’t really know exactly?

Irrespective, it’s a very, very useful and cool accessory for a live view digital M. And would be even better if the live view was better.

Marty

My comment is a quote from Don, although he didn’t specify of which type. I found one in the 1990s. Maybe he doesn’t really know exactly?

Irrespective, it’s a very, very useful and cool accessory for a live view digital M. And would be even better if the live view was better.

Marty

It's great, and even better than the EVF. No blackout, no vibration. It's quite amazing -- particularly on the M-D. I just hope I never have to clean the mirror!

The figures I quoted were from an email that Don sent me a couple of days ago (as I bought this unit from him). His Dad made the Visoflex II version first (with the beamsplitter prism) and made less than 100 of them, but when the Visoflex III came out he used the Pellix mirror, and Don figured his Dad made 10 or less of those. Either way, there are very few out there!

Do you still have yours?

M 262 with a Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5

48217469666_1fc79a97aa_c.jpg

All looking really good guys. It's great that old accessories can still be used on modern Leicas, giving nice continuity.
John Mc

It's great, and even better than the EVF. No blackout, no vibration. It's quite amazing -- particularly on the M-D. I just hope I never have to clean the mirror!

If you have a clean room and proper equipment, cleaning the mirror is easy. Doing it at home, well, I think it's likely your cleaning could turn into a 'dirtying'.

The figures I quoted were from an email that Don sent me a couple of days ago (as I bought this unit from him). His Dad made the Visoflex II version first (with the beamsplitter prism) and made less than 100 of them, but when the Visoflex III came out he used the Pellix mirror, and Don figured his Dad made 10 or less of those. Either way, there are very few out there!

Indeed. I just dug out the message from Don from 1994 (!) and he just said he thought there were fewer than 50. Rare indeed.

Do you still have yours?

It was something I saw, not something I ever owned. I wish I could have bought it but back then it wasn't for sale and if it had been I couldn't have afforded it.

Marty

Back