Show Off Your Contax

after 2 months work... finally working camera...
31248493532_6e35b3bd64_b.jpg

Fantastic! Congratulations.

Erik.

This is my Zeiss collection as far as it goes...and as some of you know it doesn't 'go' very well!

IMG_2881 by dralowid, on Flickr

If soaked in lighter fluid the 'dimple' Contax has a shutter that fires on all speeds but does not open. The tension seems very high and I think I can guess what is wrong (spring). At least this is a camera with no slow speeds so it will be simpler inside. On the other hand it is said to be quite rare and I am inclined to leave it on a shelf.

The Contax behind is the one I have been working on. Result? The shutter works but the way in which the advance winds on gives no confidence in that the knob does not end up where it started from. The shutter opens on all but the fastest speeds but I am unsure of the actual exposures. I have only put it back together loosely and may go back to it when I have recovered from the last bout.

The Super Nettel actually appears to be working, stiff to advance but the shutter seems to be doing what it should. It also responds well to lighter fluid. If I were to pull it apart someone suggested I approach the film advance/speed dial/shutter release knob in much the same way as a Contax II.

In the past I have had good results from the Super Nettel (Tessar 3.5) and from the Contax at the back withe either 3.5 Tessar or 2 Sonnar.

Over the years I have picked up quite a few non working Contax I. They used to be very cheap (understandably) but now seem to fetch money. I am left with these because I sold those that I expected to make the most first (V7 etc) as part of one of my annual GRPs (Gear Reduction Programmes). Three examples of this shutter is surely enough.

Great collection !

Just finished rebuilding the camera and re-gluing the leatherette.

Pardon the crappy Win Phone photo...
Contax010.jpg

Need to do some touch-ups of the black lacquer...and have a look at refilling the engravings on the shutter speed dial and the distance scale on the focusing mount.

All except 1/2sec and Zeit. Milo warned me against adding more tension if the rest of the speeds were okay.
I'll run a test film through it somewhere in the new year.

Sorry, I dont have as pretty pics as you all have. But this is a real gem. It is a Contax iia color-dial I recently found at a thrift store for a good price.
When I bought it, it was very dirty. The shutter did not work at all, and the rear door was dented in so much that I could barely get it off.
Well I was able to hammer out the dent, but I sourced a better back anyway.
I gave it a good cleaning, and I was able to get the shutter to fire. Sometimes it still does nothing when pressed. But I can still advance to next frame. I will live with that for now.

Attachments

• DSC08281s.jpg
    DSC08281s.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC08282.jpg
    DSC08282.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC08284.jpg
    DSC08284.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1
I gave it a good cleaning, and I was able to get the shutter to fire. Sometimes it still does nothing when pressed. .

Unfortunately this is a common problem with the "color dial" postwar Contax cameras. Design fault due to a very complicated X-sync system added inside the camera. Hard to fix, unfortunately too.

My budget Contax kit. Got about $100 into the setup as you see it with the Opton Biogon and Canon finder. Took a while to hunt these deals but is fun to shoot, quite different from my other RFs.

The color shot is same IIIa with an Opton Sonnar 50/2 and a Speed-O-Copy mounted.

Attachments

• CONTAX_(1_of_1).jpg
    CONTAX_(1_of_1).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CONTAX_(1_of_1)-2.jpg
    CONTAX_(1_of_1)-2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
Nice.

The Contax camera deals are still out there. I guess they don't draw as much excitement from collectors/users as the Leicas do.

Got some film in the IIa now.

There has been an updraft in Contax I cameras lately, here and on the Facebook Vintage Camera Collectors Group. ;)

Back