Show Off Your Contax

Works.

Erik.

32905780395_bd3f4234a2_z.jpg

32846172855_25589e9aee_z.jpg

@ Anthony, the pencil marks might be some information on the camera service it received. But the sequence reminds me of a serial number.

@ Erik, Nice! Did it need a lot of work to get going?

Thank you, Rick.

Yes, that was a lot of work. I've installed Arsenal ribbons (the best for these cameras with brass shutter curtains I think) and the curtains were out of synch. Now the shutter works, however the speed knob must be used in a slightly different way. Who cares, all the speeds are there.

I think it was a professionally used camera. This wear can only be the result of thousands of films going through it.

Contax I, Nikkor 50mm f/2, 400-2TMY.

Erik.

32488648920_1bf8ae4534_c.jpg

Thank you, Deklari, I need that stuff. I now want a Contax I without long speeds.

I am afraid I need a doctor!

Erik.

I also looking for earlier version.

I thinking about 135mm Sonnar lens for Contax I (and III), Do anyone have experiences using 135mm lens with Contax I? I have Leica's universal finder for 135mm it should work for Contax I. I know is is not easy to using 135mm on RF camera.
Or better to start with 85mm Jupiter-9?

I also looking for earlier version.

I thinking about 135mm Sonnar lens for Contax I (and III), Do anyone have experiences using 135mm lens with Contax I? I have Leica's universal finder for 135mm it should work for Contax I. I know is is not easy to using 135mm on RF camera.
Or better to start with 85mm Jupiter-9?

When you have a 50mm, it is better to have a 35mm with it. Very useful. The Jupiter copy of the Biogon 35mm f/2.8 is a nice lens.

Very good also is the Nikkor 35mm f/2.5, but it is much more expensive.

Good luck!

Erik.

Last week I got my first Contax :)
It is a II, probably from 1938.

The shutter is broken and the view finder is dim, but it has a documented history. The numbers on top and inside match. Also the number of the uncoated Sonnar 1:1,5 dates to 1938.

Now I need a trusty person who can repair it. Preferrable in Germany or Austria.
Any hints are welcome.

Hannes

Attached some leather to the Contax I today

contaxcase.jpg

Aki-Asahi strap and the old ever-ready case was falling apart anyway so I turned it into a half-case.

Rick, you've done a wonderful job with this camera.
Also, you have a serious Contax collection growing there, can't wait to see what you add next.

Attached some leather to the Contax I today

Aki-Asahi strap and the old ever-ready case was falling apart anyway so I turned it into a half-case.

Good idea, and look nice. I also have old original case. It still function, but leather is very old and weak in some places.

This one was missing a side from the top cover and the cover hinge was nearly worn through. The straps on the case weren't trustworthy either.

Thanks Mike, I've got my eye on a Contax II Outfit case at the moment. ;)

The Contax I strap ears would rather accept a strap with strap ends designed for the DSLRs with flat strap clutches, than straps fitted with regular rings designed for classic cameras with small round strap eyelets. ;)

I agree it's a bit of a weird configuration.

I have a khaki canvas strap with leather tabs that I could cut to the right width to fit the Contax I 'ears' ....or maybe get one of Luigi's 7/8mm straps ;)

Contax G1 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Contax G1 white label version
Contax G1 green label version
Zeiss 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar (left)
Zeiss 45mm f/2 Planar (center)
Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 Biogon (right)
Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Biogon (not shown)
Zeiss 21mm optical viewfinder (not shown)
Contax TLA-140 electronic flash unit
Wooden Presentation Case

Back