Show Off Your Nikon RF

Thanks again Jon, your instructions in other threads were super valuable. For the eyepiece, it should be three screws i believe: two visible ones and a hidden one by the leatherette. I removed the plastic eyepiece mask in the picture, but there was a further magnifier glass piece for the mini finder that I couldn't remove 100% behind that one.

For that one, there were two screws that kept it on. I had to remove the top screw and (scarily enough) bend the metal bit out of the way to get at the fungus. the bottom screw was obscured by the camera chassis and I didn't want to remove the frame mask selector on top.

hello Calvin, nice to know you use Nikon SP as well, the world is so small, ha, I spotted you in Eileen's weixin Moments.

Thanks again Jon, your instructions in other threads were super valuable. For the eyepiece, it should be three screws i believe: two visible ones and a hidden one by the leatherette. I removed the plastic eyepiece mask in the picture, but there was a further magnifier glass piece for the mini finder that I couldn't remove 100% behind that one.

Ahhh that's right. Its the S2 that has two screws on either side. Glad you figured it out.

FWIW even the ex-Nikon repair guys now working at Kiitos cannot fully disassemble and clean the WA finder so you did well to clean as far as you did.

FWIW even the ex-Nikon repair guys now working at Kiitos cannot fully disassemble and clean the WA finder so you did well to clean as far as you did.
The WA finder is extremely fragile and complicated : behind the eyepiece you have a complex prism which puts the light path on the side and straightens the viewing image. That darn prism is glued. Re-gluing it after having taken it apart is a PITA. Problem is that the deteriorated foam spots are often stuck on the mirrors of that prism, trapped between it, the black foam frame which has deteriorated and the optical tunnel (with its optical components) coming from the front of the camera and which is screwed on the camera casting. Also, if you try to clean the rear optical element of the latter, you may wipe the etched 35-28 frames. So for the WA finder I would recommend to be very very very careful and to accept the idea of having a few black spots in it. I'll be better than having to blacken out the WA finder eyepiece and front frame because you have broken it while trying to clean it.

I have owned three SP. On the first one, I was fully successul at cleaning the WA finder, regluing the prism, and replacing the deteriorated foam frame with a custom cut neoprene frame. I also cleaned the main viewfinder in full and afterwards the whole thing was superb. Someone bought that camera from me.

On the second one, I broke the prism in question while trying to unglue it. So I removed everything of the WA finder and neatly blackened out the rear and front masks with some black thick paper. The camera became an SP2, sort of, and I used a CV 28-35 Minifinder on top if it. Then someone wanted to buy the camera and I sold it for a reasonable price, as it was, clearly telling that the WA finder was gone and wouldn't come back.

On the third one - which I still have - I lmited myself to gently blow some compressed air in there and to clean the rear and front elements of the whole WA optical unit. There is still a black spot visible at the center of the 35 frame. I live with it.

New S3 Millennium Edition

New S3 Millennium Edition

This is my new S3 Millennium Edition Nikon rangefinder.

It's my first manual rangefinder (owned a Contax G2 in the mid-1990s). I bought this about 3 months ago--I've always wanted a classic rangefinder from a simpler era. When I decided digital wasn't for me and learned that film wasn't dead, this was the first thing I bought.

When I saw it listed on Amazon, I was skeptical that it was actually "new." After all, it was basically a collector camera and came out 16-17 years ago. I would have figured they had all been snatched up.

I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived--it was still sealed in the factory plastic. I opened the box, and the presentation box was likewise sealed. It must have sat in a warehouse somewhere all this time.

First roll of film I put through it was a roll of Ilford HP5+ B&W. I just got some random shots around my apartment complex and the Scottsdale area. As the camera is a faithful replica of the 1950s S3, it doesn't have a light meter. I used the sunny 16 rule to judge my exposures.

I hadn't developed any film in over 20 years and was pleased that this first roll come out at all, let alone with almost perfect exposures!

My eyes aren't what they used to be, and I had trouble seeing the yellow focus rectangle in the viewfinder, so I just used zone focusing. I was taking pictures outside, in bright sunlight, and none of my subjects were closer than about 10-15 feet away. So everything worked out fine.

Attachments

• Nikon S3_smaller.jpg
    Nikon S3_smaller.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1
My eyes aren't what they used to be, and I had trouble seeing the yellow focus rectangle in the viewfinder, so I just used zone focusing. I was taking pictures outside, in bright sunlight, and none of my subjects were closer than about 10-15 feet away. So everything worked out fine.

I know what you're talking about with the eyes not being what they used to be. Have you considered putting a diopter on your S3. I know my S2 was just very hard for me to focus, until I made a diopter for it (out of an old Leica M diopter). Now it's a total joy to shoot and I feel like my eyes are like "the old days" where everything is crystal clear.

I've heard, though I don't have an S3 to verify this, that you can use a diopter from a Nikon FG camera on the S3. You may have to modify it slightly with an X-Acto knife. But boy, when you have the right diopter on these old Nikon rangefinders, they are so much fun to shoot.

Just a thought. Enjoy your beautiful S3.

Best,
-Tim

tumblr_oi43iclQXi1ttze3po2_640.jpg

my SP is perfect for me for my biking and hiking excursions, so much so that i recently purchased an S3. as Tom has mentioned, Nikon RF's have a way of multiplying when you're not looking...

tumblr_oi6lydVFtl1ttze3po1_540.jpg

i restored the S3 which was in rough shape as much as I can (with Nikon F parts). The rear window would scratch up my glasses, but I used black electrical tape and used a cutter to shape it into the vf window.

tumblr_oi6lydVFtl1ttze3po4_640.jpg

currently I'm looking for light blue automotive tint film to bring out the contrast in the RF patch. it is definitely not as bright or usable as-is compared with the SP.

That's a beautiful combination Dirk, looks brand new, but I had the same question as Erik. Do you find you need that viewfinder? I thought the S3(S4?) had frame lines for 35mm.

Best,
-Tim

Ok you two old Nikon veterans got me cheating there ;-)
One could argue that the finders clear and bright view lets you frame a bit easier than the RF/VF of the S3 but I would lie if I would pretend I use it like that - it just looked better for the photograph I admit.

On the SP though I find the accessory viewfinder essential - I treat the secondary finder as a nice penalty free "have a 2.8cm in your bag finder" and like the accessory finder much better for framing the 35mm (it also helps with the habit from Leica M cameras to move your eye right up for framing vs to the left)

Anecdote: the background is a Nikon branded paper shopping bag I received when buying a 105/1.4 AF-S just when they hit the shelves last year - I found it makes a nice prop for those RF cameras ;-)

Hello, everybody!
This is my 1st post here. I am the guy running the Classic Nikon Maintenance Blog and I just got my 1st Nikon S! it's a lovely camera and I am hoping to make more S-mount related repairs and article from now. The problem is, they do not come cheap and there are almost NO junks available for me to find and fix. Hoping to be a productive part of the group.

For people who know me from online or read my blog, please say hi! Ric.

Attachments

• IMG_3509.jpg
    IMG_3509.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to RFF Ric!

Hard to find Nikon RF in parts/repair condition because they are so reliable.

I wish you luck on your repair adventures!

Anecdote: the background is a Nikon branded paper shopping bag I received when buying a 105/1.4 AF-S just when they hit the shelves last year - I found it makes a nice prop for those RF cameras ;-)

So jealous of your 105/1.4 AFS. Had a chance to borrow one from a Nikon rep last fall, only for an hour, and man is that a nice lens. Have fun with it.

I came across this S3 2000 at a local camera shop a few months ago and had an instant urge to hold it in my hands. I haven't let go ever since. Hunting around for a nice S2 now!

32463422724_5e4f4a73d4.jpg

So jealous of your 105/1.4 AFS. Had a chance to borrow one from a Nikon rep last fall, only for an hour, and man is that a nice lens. Have fun with it.
Don't be jealous - ANY Nikon 105mm is a special one ;-)
The 105 AF-S is a unique lens though, I hardly had the chance to use it though as just a week after I got it I had a bad accident and some wheel chair time. Now I am restricted for a while to the lightweight gear - just right for the Nikon RF addiction ;-)

I came across this S3 2000 at a local camera shop a few months ago and had an instant urge to hold it in my hands. I haven't let go ever since. Hunting around for a nice S2 now!
sweet!

I am a black paint guy myself but these silver chrome Nikon RF bodies really do look very pretty! Cant wait to use one some day …

Back