Show Off Your Nikon RF

The main thing is that it works!
It doesn't matter whether it's chrome, black or colourful.
In the end it's a Nikon rangefinder. That counts.

It is a beautiful camera to use with only a 5cm on...2.0 or 1.4...no matter. It was a good example to paint...near mint in every way.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Oh well, shoot it and enjoy it.

After a close look, wear along the edges shows brass not chrome. So, it is either original or a very good re-paint. Regardless, it is a pleasure to use and I will continue to do so. Someday I'll get it evaluated in person by someone who really knows how to tell. I know the serial number is not in a known range of black S2 bodies. Reminds me of a 2005 SP body I know that has been well used over the past 15-17 years or so and is heavily brassed. A well loved and well used camera is good to see.

Got this at Christmas time. Hoping to put it to good use, and not let it sit on a shelf.

Attachments

• PXL_20221231_160901682_Original.jpg
    PXL_20221231_160901682_Original.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 20
S3 with 3.5/2.5, 5.0/1.4, 10.5/2.5 and coffee :)

187217476_71be66c006.jpg

Exactly my outfit including the caps, shades... leather lens cases as well.

I got this black S3 + Olympic 50mm 1.4 a few months ago on Ebay at a somewhat decent price. It's a beauty, and works perfectly, except that the rangefinder patch is weak and it's got the helical lens squeek. I just also bought the 35mm 2.5, which is absolutely mint.

Originally the previous owner of the S3 and 50mm lens had blacked out the white logo and text on the body and lens. So it was a little cheaper than it should have been. I was able to remove most of the black ink on the body and refilled it with white. But I decided to leave the lens alone since it would be too difficult to remove the ink and repaint the ring without taking the lens apart, and it seemed unnecessary anyway.

I believe this is an original black paint one, even though the serial number is earlier than the known "Olympic" serial numbers. There are some apparently out there, and this one has Nikon F parts like the Olympic version. I've found another one on this website that is really close to my serial number and is exactly the same:

I've had Leicas for many years and I am used to those, so the Nikon takes some getting used to.

IMG_8197.jpg

Nice S3 - The serial number before it, 6312207 is a was a Black S3 in the 2011 list included in NHS Journal 113. Less than 100 until the Olympics began with number 632001. An interesting camera, have fun shooting with it.

- Tim

I got this black S3 + Olympic 50mm 1.4 a few months ago on Ebay at a somewhat decent price. It's a beauty, and works perfectly, except that the rangefinder patch is weak and it's got the helical lens squeek. I just also bought the 35mm 2.5, which is absolutely mint.

Originally the previous owner of the S3 and 50mm lens had blacked out the white logo and text on the body and lens. So it was a little cheaper than it should have been. I was able to remove most of the black ink on the body and refilled it with white. But I decided to leave the lens alone since it would be too difficult to remove the ink and repaint the ring without taking the lens apart, and it seemed unnecessary anyway.

I believe this is an original black paint one, even though the serial number is earlier than the known "Olympic" serial numbers. There are some apparently out there, and this one has Nikon F parts like the Olympic version. I've found another one on this website that is really close to my serial number and is exactly the same:

The Nikon SP was a complex camera, I wonder how difficult it was to clone it from scratch for the 2005 version?

Reactions: JMF
Looks good! You're going to love that lens.

Comparing results of my S2's Nikkor-S 50/1.4 to my Contax IIIa's Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar, both are stunning - couldn't say either were better, just different.

I love the S2; I have a chrome one and a black one. The black ones are very rare, but extremely beautiful. There are two types of S2's, chrome dials and black dials. "Dial" refers to the distance scale. I think the cameras with a chrome dial are somehow better made than the cameras with a black dial.

gelatin silver print (zeiss sonnar 50mm f1.5) nikon s2 black (chrome dial)

Amsterdam, 2023

Erik.

1695292107221.png

Back