Show off your TLR!

3619618948_a96e18714e_o.jpg

Mamiya C300 vs. Rolleiflex 2.8f

Mamiya C300 vs. Rolleiflex 2.8f

Sure makes the Mamiya look like a monster...

Attachments

• CvsR.jpg
    CvsR.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
In memory of

In memory of

I found a cheap beater Rolliflex T and felt that I had to buy it as a memento of an era that definitively ended with the closure of Franke and Heideke. The camera seems to work, but I will change the loose leatherette on the front and sides.
0006-773802.jpg

Mamma Miya and the Frankencord

Mamma Miya and the Frankencord

These pictures are ugly, but my Mamma Miya and what I call the Frankencord. Notice in the second picture that this appears to be a Rolleicord that somebody has grafted Nikon Aires TLR lenses onto. Works reasonably well, I'm going to try and give it some exercise in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• Mammiy and the Frankencord.jpg
    Mammiy and the Frankencord.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Frankencord.jpg
    Frankencord.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
I hate to be a nay-sayer or to bring disappointment to anyone but to me, your Frankencord looks more like an Aires Reflex with a Rolleicord nameplate. I hasten to add that as much as I would like to be, I am no expert on Rolleis. It may be that there are other identifying marks, however, the photos I have looked at indicate that the closesest Rollei relative is the III model. However that has the shutter release and flash sockets reversed. The hood also does not appear correct - closer to the II model. On the other hand, the Frankencord is almost identical to a photo I have of an Aries Reflex except that has two sockets (X and M). The more basic Airesflex has a single socket and the body looks the same except for the lenses.

Either way, a frankenstein TLR

Either way, a frankenstein TLR

I hate to be a nay-sayer or to bring disappointment to anyone but to me, your Frankencord looks more like an Aires Reflex with a Rolleicord nameplate. I hasten to add that as much as I would like to be, I am no expert on Rolleis. It may be that there are other identifying marks, however, the photos I have looked at indicate that the closesest Rollei relative is the III model. However that has the shutter release and flash sockets reversed. The hood also does not appear correct - closer to the II model. On the other hand, the Frankencord is almost identical to a photo I have of an Aries Reflex except that has two sockets (X and M). The more basic Airesflex has a single socket and the body looks the same except for the lenses.

Thanks, no worries about disappointing me - it was a cheap garage sale find, so I can live with it either way. I actually looked at the nameplate carefully and can't figure out how that could have been done, no welding marks or anything obvious. I'll take another look at it when I have it at hand, though.

My Mamiyaflex C2, my first and still fav TLR, I never get on with Yashicas nor the newer Mamiya C330s which I also have, still looking a affordable Rolleiflex!

3795509708_f9e080b7d4.jpg

3795509286_0658f69633.jpg

I just noticed that Lflex has a Rolleiflex T with a Xenar lens!
I thought that all the T's had Tessar lenses.

The very last run of Ts (whiteface models) had
Xenars from Schneider because Zeiss stopped
supplying camera lenses to F+H. I too have a
T from this run with a Xenar.

Last edited:
Re: Armored's Frankenchord. No need to speculate. Under the lower lens it says "AIRES CAMERA".

Anyway, to stay on this Aires subject, I have a Sears Tower TLR by Aires and I noticed that in the picture of the Rollei Automat IV posted by Gabrel M. A. there is a latch where the back is hinged. This looks exactly like my camera. Also, behind the knobs that you pull out to change the film there are circular plates attached to the body with three screws each. These look exactly like my camera right down to the orientation of the screws. Don't want to insult anyone's Rollei, but do you suppose they could have subcontracted this body out to Aires?

This was given to me by someone who didn't know what to do with it. Love when that happens.

3634910464_8d810e29fa.jpg

This is exactly what I have...I'm just borrowing Steve's posted photo...
Mine looks just as nice as his...I also have the back half of the camera case on mine...
I had to trade three camera bodies for mine and at the time I thought I gave up too much but as of lately I know I got the better of the deal...
I always look forward to printing with the negs this camera produces...:D

I quite like the Mamiya TLR cameras. Anachronistic in this era of digital, but the lenses are very sharp, combined with Portra 120 film, I would be hard pressed to create the images that I manage to capture with this camera - digitally, my scan files are 45-60 mb each! Purchased on EBay for $150, I added a Beattie split screen, which dramatically improved the light from the waist level finder, added the grip, and with the Voigtlander meter, I have a fairly functional medium format camera. The nice thing about Mamiya TLR's, are their bellows, eliminating the need for extension tubes for close up or macro work. This and my Mamiya 6, are the perfect match for 120 film cameras and satisfy that format completely. I have reduced my gear down to 5 cameras this year and this one is definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
Ah, talking about the Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex, here is my beauty (the 1b to the right) and the beast (1a to the left).

3622097390_60a3cf2f00.jpg

Last edited:
Back