Show us your Olympus Pen Half-Frame Panoramas

K14

Well-known
Local time
12:39 PM
Some folks will probably call us losers who cannot afford real panoramic cameras. Heck they might be right but there is something about the creation process and the technique used to produce these panos.

Really you can take any scene and make it somewhat special. Here is the blah street in my neighborhood, Taken with my Pen EE Eastman 5222. Yeah that weeping cherry needs a haircut. :D

Left to right continuous frame ...

48684679897_e2b5e07928_k.jpg

Wow, thanks - what fun. It's been years; gotta go dust off the old Samurai X3.0

Thanks for starting the thread! Coincidentally, I just got an Olympus Pen S, in part to make Pen-o-ramas. Here are some results (that I cross posted on the Olympus Pen S thread) from my first roll of film through the camera. I'm still trying to figure out how to get wider Pen-o-ramas merged in post, as I'm not scanning a strip of negatives in a flatbed scanner:

Olympus Pen S, Arista Premium 400, expired 2014, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2019.07.20 Roll #212-03751-positive-Pano.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

2019.07.20 Roll #212-03741-positive-Pano.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Wow, thanks - what fun. It's been years; gotta go dust off the old Samurai X3.0

xavyr, didn't occur to me that the Yashica Samurai was half-frame. Your handle sounds familiar, you hang out over at the Yashica forum?

dourbalistar, those panos are stellar! Hope you find a solution to getting wider ones into a post, would love to see them here.

Cheers,

Gary
aka K14

Once I took a panorama with a Pen FT but took it in the wrong direction, so the negs didn't match up. What's the correct direction to take a sequence that joins up on the negative roll? And is it the same for all Pen half frames?

Once I took a panorama with a Pen FT but took it in the wrong direction, so the negs didn't match up. What's the correct direction to take a sequence that joins up on the negative roll? And is it the same for all Pen half frames?

With my Pen S, I took the images from left to right. I'm guessing it should be the same direction for your Pen FT?

I'm not sure but will experiment next time I load my FT with film. It should be the same, as the film winding is the same direction. Thanks!

Deck renovation

Deck renovation

If your film cassette loads on the left and feeds to the sppol on the right it is "left to right".

Here is a goof I took from "right to left" using my Pen EE S.

48684506181_ace5248878_k.jpg

Then the same shot "left to right", correct way.

48684165173_b44416fb34_k.jpg

Yeah, light leaks... I have light seal replacements on order for my EE 2 ;) So my Pen S is now on duty...:D

K14 thanks for the information, I recall being disappointed to see my 3 photo panorama wasn't in the right order! Now I'm inspired to try again. I have a small "project" in mind too, to take a panorama on my recently-acquired Technorama 617 and somehow replicate it using one of my Pen cameras. The challenge will be to get the same framing on the Pen to match the 90mm Technorama lens on medium format. Either wide angle with the Pen FT, or maybe a standard lens with 2 rows of photos across the width... I haven't sat down to try to calculate what would be equivalent (I'm probably not capable!)

I actually like the goofed up version! I think it captures the spirit of the deck renovation, which I'm sure was a bit chaotic. :p

Me too! Yes that's the feeling you get after pulling up a thousand+ nails and seeing what lies underneath and the work that lies ahead.

...you hang out over at the Yashica forum?

No, sorry, not me. "xavyr" was a ref. to my old Oly XA. But thanks for the pointer to the Yashica board! Looking in there now

These multi half-frame panoramas are pretty neat. I'm going to try some too.

Dourbalistar, is your PEN-S the 3cm or 2.8cm?

These multi half-frame panoramas are pretty neat. I'm going to try some too.

Dourbalistar, is your PEN-S the 3cm or 2.8cm?

I have the 3cm f/2.8 version. Give it a try and post your results here! I need to do some more experimentation myself.

I have the 3cm f/2.8 version. Give it a try and post your results here! I need to do some more experimentation myself.

The 3cm f2.8 is an excellent lens. I've have one of those for about 5 years and gotten very sharp photos from it. I recently got the 2.8cm f3.5 version, and this also seems to be a great performer.

Here are a couple 3-frame panos I shot last weekend. Lining up the frame edges is tricky!

48807259031_f5bbd6df57_c.jpg
minoruta

48807399377_251cc0d253_c.jpg
shrinepano

Here are a couple 3-frame panos I shot last weekend. Lining up the frame edges is tricky!

48807259031_f5bbd6df57_c.jpg
minoruta

48807399377_251cc0d253_c.jpg
shrinepano

Those look great, WJJ3! I like the different layers in the first one.

Lining up the edges is tricky, but personally I don't mind too much. Some imprecise framing is all part of the fun with these point and shoot compacts. I see it as a more relaxed "we'll just see what comes out" way of shooting. :)

Back