Sigma 30mm f/2.8

Hmmm, interesting... a 28.5mm lens? Are they considered good sigma or bad sigma products?

You might want to check over at DPreview NEX forum. Photos, evaluation at various apertures.... central vs. peripheral.. etc. Generally, both the 30mm and 19mm have been well received.

Of course, the 24mm Ziess is first rate. I'm happy with my decision to go with the NEX-7, but my Biogons just didn't do it for me on the wide side. ( Zeiss ZM 35mm f/2.0 best of my selection)

thanks for posting, i´m looking for a lens for my nex camera, i think this 30 2.8 is the same formula as the new sigma dp2 merrilll that would be pretty spectacular!!!

great i´ve looked on flickr, really great!!!

That´s exactly waht i´ve been looking for!!!!

I´m buying one right away!!!

I received the 19mm today, and, I must say, this little 19mm is getting me pretty excited for the 30mm that I have in the mail, since the 30 is the better of the two lenses. Even this 19mm lens is very sharp in the center at f2.8, and it looks only ok to me at f5.6 in the corners (could be some field curvature.) It's not a razor at the extreme corners, but it's probably usable with some adjustment in LR, and it's likely better at f8.

Here is an infinity shot at f5.6 on the NEX-7 with standard LR4 import settings, except that I activated CA correction. I didn't use a tripod with these, so take them with a grain of salt. Just a quick corner check.

full shot:
7052631329_48a1c9fd7c_b.jpg
[

center crop:
7052631271_84c1548766.jpg

very top right corner:
6906541074_a06e6d0ee1.jpg

Just ordered 19mm and 30mm from digital rev for $378 total (with free shipping). The lenses (especially 30mm) got some great reviews. This is will breath some life into my 5n which I stopped using for a while due to lack of reasonable priced quality primes. Getting two nice prime lenses for this price is awesome, 2.8 minimum aperture doesn't really bother me, 5n has great high iso plus being a mirrorless I can get away with slightly lower shutter speeds.

Please post back later with how you like the 19mm! I wasn't considering one because it's a focal length I've never really grown to love, but I do admit it would be a nice pairing with the 30mm.

I agree with you about the f/2.8 minimum aperture not being a bother, especially as it seems the 30mm performs quite well wide open.

Focus may be marginally slower than the kit zoom. I haven't noticed any aperture wackiness - as a matter of fact, I've never seen the aperture open and close like you describe with either the 30 or my kit lens. The NEX views at the taking aperture, not in stop down mode - unless you have something enabled in your camera's setup that I don't?

The closest I can come to what you describe is in P or S mode by waving the camera around with the shutter half depressed so the aperture constantly changes. It does make noise when I do this, but it isn't objectionable.

Thank you. I shall persevere, as I like the focal length and the lens itself is very good.

Focus may be marginally slower than the kit zoom. I haven't noticed any aperture wackiness - as a matter of fact, I've never seen the aperture open and close like you describe with either the 30 or my kit lens. The NEX views at the taking aperture, not in stop down mode - unless you have something enabled in your camera's setup that I don't?

The closest I can come to what you describe is in P or S mode by waving the camera around with the shutter half depressed so the aperture constantly changes. It does make noise when I do this, but it isn't objectionable.

I'm not 100% sure, but there is an option that might affect this...

MENU -> [Setup] -[Live View Display]

Setting Effect ON (Default) will show live changes to exposure, WB, etc on the display.

Setting Effect OFF might operate the camera in stop-down mode, if I read the manual correctly.

Check to see what you have set, and try the other option to see if it helps.

I have just received the 30mm. It's nice and seems to take sharp pictures wide open.

But do others hear the same rattling noise in the lens when the camera's off and rocked back and forth?

Ken Ford;1855168 I haven't noticed any aperture wackiness - as a matter of fact said:
It depends on the light that you're in. If the light is low, the lens will briefly open up when you AF and then quickly close before taking the picture.

I'll have to try that! It would make sense, though - it might be a response from the camera to ensure enough light on the sensor for accurate focusing. If that's the case I would expect the same with the kit lens, and more frequently.

Just got my 30mm and 19mm in the mail today. Didn't get a chance to take any "proper" photos but first impressions are all positive. The lenses are so nicely built, small and light and seem to suit my nex 5n perfectly. I reckon 30mm will be on most of the time, and 19mm is small and light and will fit in jacket pocket easily.
However, I wont be selling my 18-55 kit lens or 16mm as they can do some things sigma's can't.

This lens is amazing!!

The AF is fast and spot-on (if the right AF-setting is chosen in the NEX-7).
The image quality is astonishing (esp. for a lens at the price!)
It looks great in black on the NEX-7.
Even with the "diva"-sensor of the NEX-7 is works together extremely well.

The Sigma EX 2.8/30 EN is a definite recommendation for every NEX user!!

Back