Sigma 30mm f/2.8

Still very happy with the Sigma 30/2.8...

U4631I1335029775.SEQ.0.jpg

I got the images to embed now and have included a couple from the 19mm, nothing to great but I've only had them for a week and now I'm busy at work with overtime for a few weeks so my schedule is limited.

blue-sky.jpg

small-silo-farm.jpg

I made a few comparisons of the two lenses side by side, I'll post one and if you would like to see a few more I will include them other wise I don't want to spam the post. These are straight jpeg files out of the camera, nex 5n. I usually shoot raw if its something I want to keep but for general purpose jpeg is fine.

sigma-close-focus-compare.jpg

Hi, just got my copy this week...i´m happy with it!

I wished it was smaller but´s almost ok...it´s very sharp and the focal length allows me to play with dof.

When set on manual focus the ring must be moved very gently if not the mechanism jams, i guess the ring is too thin...

It´s slower than my sony 16mm lens to achieve focus, but it´s ok since the focal length is larger...

I´m pretty happy with this alternative since it´s not expensive and grants me a great service being 45mm fov...the 30 mm length iquite "normal" and don´t show the wides erspective distortions...

Bye

elmer, I've seen a few comments about the focus ring but I can't get mine to bind unless I grab it like I'm choking it hard. How are you trying to use yours?

So, does the 30mm and Nex7 combo offer blazing fast AF?

I'd say good AF for a CDAF system, but not great. I'm surprised how relatively good manual focusing is with the Sigma. Despite being focus by wire, it is pretty responsive. Not M lens good, but certainly better than Contax G with adapter.

Gotta' say that I don't get all the excitment that these lenses engender.

I can't say I've read anything in this thread that suggests the 30mm or 19mm Sigmas have any great advantages over the kit-zoom, other than their smaller size (which for some, admittedly, is an important factor).

They're sharper than the kit zoom, but not a lot. They're faster than the kit-zoom, but not a lot. They aren't expensive, so why not- I guess - other then that the kit-zoon encompasses both FL's and won't require a lens change at a crucial moment.

Gotta' say that I don't get all the excitment that these lenses engender.

They're sharper than the kit zoom, but not a lot. They're faster than the kit-zoom, but not a lot. They aren't expensive, so why not- I guess - other then that the kit-zoon encompasses both FL's and won't require a lens change at a crucial moment.

You know, I can't disagree with this. You get only a stop advantage and it's about three-quarters of an inch shorter. I've found the kit-zoom to be pretty sharp a some lengths.

I think a lot of Nex users are really want the equivalent of the 20/1.7 4/3rds Panny. And the Sigma is as close as we have at the moment.

I was set on buying one but have decided it's not worth it for me.

I can't say I've read anything in this thread that suggests the 30mm or 19mm Sigmas have any great advantages over the kit-zoom, other than their smaller size (which for some, admittedly, is an important factor).

If you have to ask, then you're not going to get it. Some people just do not like zooms.

You can now expect from this lens that how the DP2 Merrill performs optically.

The problem left for Sigma, though, is still their quirky interface...

Exactly this.

This was a little terse, let me expand (bloviate?) a little.

I've found my RF shooting style needs to have the discipline imposed by prime lenses to work - zooms make things too easy for me, and I get lazy and don't work the image as much as I should. I'm by no means anti-zoom, just not for this style of shooting.

Also, the Sigma 30 exhibits very good edge sharpness wide open. I don't have many lenses I would use wide open with no restrictions, but the Sigma 30 is one of them. The kit zoom most certainly isn't, my copy anyway. The kit zoom is an ideal travel and family lens IMO.

I'm debating on getting one for my 5n, but I already have a 25mm ZM, two 35mm M-mount lenses and Hawk's Adapter. Other than AF, any real benefits?

Back