Sigma Changes DP-1 Website

A shop in Australia has just listed the DP1 for sale along with a few accessories eg hood, viewfinder, etc...

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/...&end=1&Item1=CAMERA&Item2=SIGMA&Item3=Digital

The retail price of Au$990 including taxes is about US$870 at current rates. But everything here is marked up to buggery which is why myself and most others buy from the larger internet order companies eg B&H. 50% or more above the cost of buying from overseas is common.

My bet is on US$699 rrp (msrp) when/if it's announced.

George.

Last edited:
bmattock said:
I know, I know, I could have a Ricoh with that already - but I did not want the tiny sensor, regardless of how 'good' it is - it is tiny and that cannot be overcome with 'goodness'. I want what I want - an APS/C sensor,
That may or may not be true, but a big sensor can be overcome with badness, though. The Foveon sensor, which isn't exactly big to begin with, traditionally has had underwhelming low-light performance, and the lens is so slow that you don't get a DOF advantage either vis-a-vis the smaller sensor, so in the DP-1 the advantages of the larger sensor are exactly zero.

Philipp

BillBingham2 said:
GR-D I is working fine for me. What I really want is something about the size of a GR-D, maybe a bit bigger. The controls (Shutter Speed and ISO) and meter of a Bessa L (perhaps a bit more center weighted please). 28 or 25mm equivalent, manual focus and aperture control like the SnapShot-S. A verification of focus would be nice but only if there was an LCD to show just that area. Shots JPG and RAW, fast cycle times for up to three shots. f3.5 on the lens would be nice, but 2.8 would rock.

B2 (;->

If the lens is excellent with minimal distortion and sharpness throughout ... I will think of it more like the Yashica T4 (though with a 28mm equiv)

A great camera for bright days, travel camera and hopefully an excellent performer in the flash photography end of things ... perhaps this could be a digital equivalent of the T4

Just throwing a few ideas out there

Solinar said:
Not exactly true, the Fovecon will have better color reproduction.
Well firstly this is not a function of sensor size in the first place, secondly in existing cameras you get that for a huge tradeoff in wideangle vignetting and in weird, difficult-to-correct colour noise at higher ISOs for those low-light shots we're all interested in, thirdly Bayer sensors are catching up here as well, and fourthly that's highly subjective anyway.

Philipp

rxmd said:
That may or may not be true, but a big sensor can be overcome with badness, though. The Foveon sensor, which isn't exactly big to begin with, traditionally has had underwhelming low-light performance, and the lens is so slow that you don't get a DOF advantage either vis-a-vis the smaller sensor, so in the DP-1 the advantages of the larger sensor are exactly zero.

Philipp

At the risk of sounding pedantic - I want what I want. I know what a large sensor vs a small sensor does for me, as I have extensive experience with large film versus small film. I want what I want, and I know why I want it.

bmattock said:
I know what a large sensor vs a small sensor does for me, as I have extensive experience with large film versus small film.
Well, as the sensor technologies are somewhat different, my impression is that you'd find yourself in the situation of somebody who uses 100 ASA slide film on 35mm and 1600 ASA negative on medium format and then wonders why the sensor size doesn't make the difference he thinks it should, but maybe Sigma gets their act together and you'll get lucky.

bmattock said:
I want what I want, and I know why I want it.
Well if you don't get what you want with existing cameras, IMHO you're unlikely to get it from this one, but anyway good luck with the DP-1 if the camera ever hits the market.

Philipp

Solinar said:
Maybe if Yoshihisa Maitani were still at Olympus. Is anyone at Oly or Panasonic paying attention? .................... Probably not.
According to my avatar tagline, I'm still waiting. :bang:

Hell, I would take a fixed lens 35 to 40mm with a FF sensor. As with Bill, no need for an LCD ... give me analog controls, manual exposure (maybe aperture preferred thrown in for lazy days) and multi-spot metering. OK, it's a 35SP with OM-4 metering. So sue me, Olympus, for being picky.

Yes, that would be very nice. Apparently not something that enough people want to induce any manufacturer to make it - but one can hope. In the meantime, I get by with my Kodak C663 and wait to see if I'll be able to scrape together the shekels for the DP-1 (and whether it will be something I truly want once people start using and reporting on it).

Trius, I remember when I got my first Oly XA back in 1984 - no one I knew took Yoshihisa Maitani's creation seriously. It wasn't perfect by any measure, but the photos that came out of it at f/5.6 to f/8 were more than impressive.

I'm waiting to see what an 5x7 or even an uprezzed 8x10 image photo from the DP-1 looks like compared to one taken from a Canon G9 or Ricoh GRD II.

I think Olympus (or anyone else) would be surprised at how many people would buy such a camera. Not in the huge volumes consumer/prosumer digicams sell, of course, but enough, with flexible, efficient manufacturing, to make it worthwhile. Even if the profit were small, it is a statement camera, and every company, no matter how large or small, needs to make a statement from time to time.

Sigma isn't exactly a camera company, and they are trying it. Ricoh isn't a major player, but look at what they're doing. I guarantee a huge percentage of the folks on the OM list would buy one, there would be a bunch more from here and other forums, and for every four or five buyers, they would "sell" one to a friend or acquaintance through the cheapest form of marketing there is ... word of mouth.

Trius said:
According to my avatar tagline, I'm still waiting. :bang:

Hell, I would take a fixed lens 35 to 40mm with a FF sensor. As with Bill, no need for an LCD ... give me analog controls, manual exposure (maybe aperture preferred thrown in for lazy days) and multi-spot metering. OK, it's a 35SP with OM-4 metering. So sue me, Olympus, for being picky.

On top of that, I want a digital XA-4 and a digital Pen-FT. :D

So we have our fixed lens FF and half-frame digi lineup all set then!

Oh, and I finally went to the new DP-1 website ... a very good job of teasing. The promise of the Foveon and new processing engine are alluring indeed. Since there's a hot shoe on the camera, I'd stick on an external finder and hope the LCD could be turned off. :D

I honestly don't understand the animosity towards this little camera, especially from folks who claim they have no use for it. It's another option. It might force your favorite manufacturer to build something better or drop their price on your favored camera. Or, horror of all horrors, it might be a great little camera in its own right.

For some of us, there's way more to a good digital camera than resolution or ISO specs. I'll personally be thrilled if the DP1 nails a wide, accurate color gamut with good dynamic range. I still shoot mostly film, even though the high megapixel cams have eclipsed the resolution capabilities of many of the film cameras I use. I still prefer the tonal characteristics of the films I use.

I'm not currently in the Foveon sensor camp. I don't own a Foveon-based camera. However, I appreciate the attempt by Sigma at making a high performance wide angle camera that fits in a jacket pocket. If the samples look good, I'll jump at the chance to buy one.

foto_mike said:
I honestly don't understand the animosity towards this little camera, especially from folks who claim they have no use for it. It's another option. It might force your favorite manufacturer to build something better or drop their price on your favored camera. Or, horror of all horrors, it might be a great little camera in its own right.

For some of us, there's way more to a good digital camera than resolution or ISO specs. I'll personally be thrilled if the DP1 nails a wide, accurate color gamut with good dynamic range. I still shoot mostly film, even though the high megapixel cams have eclipsed the resolution capabilities of many of the film cameras I use. I still prefer the tonal characteristics of the films I use.

I'm not currently in the Foveon sensor camp. I don't own a Foveon-based camera. However, I appreciate the attempt by Sigma at making a high performance wide angle camera that fits in a jacket pocket. If the samples look good, I'll jump at the chance to buy one.

I agree 100%. I can't wait to see the test results. If things look good, I will definately be taking a serious look at buying one of these.

Back