Six New CV 28mm f2.8 aspherical Lenses, M & LTM !

Choosing a “Brighten Star”, “AstrWhorey”, “5 Fartisans”, “Light Lens Larcenists” or pop-up “Junkintrunk” over a Cosina Voigtländer is puzzling. WADR. :cool:
Same could be said choosing a Voigtlander over a Leica. Puzzling...

Horses for courses. Not everyone is in the same first world privelage...

Not quite. Cosina has a decent track record, but LL etc. They were prototype testing their 35mm f2 on the public. How many versions were there. Original buyers were sending them back and asking for a different copy. IMO Chinese made optical devices are odd. Some things are very good, machining, casting or design etc. Then others components are woeful on the same device. Basically poor quality control.
I dealt with the Chinese steel industry 6-10 years ago, they said the right things but QC was poor.

Horses for courses. Not everyone is in the same first world privelage...
Viohgtlander over Leica is clear choice. Cheap build based on entry level SLR chassis. So cheap they are hiding delay release mechanism available on same chassis SLRs. Handling and build quality is showing it's cheapness over regular use. I have stepped into it many times and I preferred Barrack for less money and M for incredible ergonomics, which you will find as valuable if street and everyday shooters.

But for VM it is mostly matter of choice between status of Leica under way too unreasonable price vs same building lens, with same performance optics, but not status lens.
I see plenty of photogs recommended CV 50 1.2 and some are photogs for living, not just forum show offs.

Jus dun understand why so much bitterness? Amazing! 😴:coffee:
None at all.....see below....
Nope.... See belo...

Not quite. Cosina has a decent track record, but LL etc. They were prototype testing their 35mm f2 on the public. How many versions were there. Original buyers were sending them back and asking for a different copy. IMO Chinese made optical devices are odd. Some things are very good, machining, casting or design etc. Then others components are woeful on the same device. Basically poor quality control.
I dealt with the Chinese steel industry 6-10 years ago, they said the right things but QC was poor.

Spot on. Seems every six months some dudes in a Chinese backwater open a workshop and churn out these things, new untested marques showing up on a regular interval. Cosina's first VM models were less that acceptable, with inferior QC but they've long ago proven themselves.

Not really. Started off about the really cool new VM's, someone preferred the untested "Brighten Star"--whatever the hell that is, and here we are.

While it is OT to bring up el cheapo PRC made lenses in this new VM 28mm thread, having choices is a good thing. Who are you to question others' preference btw??

Last edited:
Anyone who wants new lenses with an M39 thread for old Barnack Leicas must be thankful to Cosina-Voigtländer.

Choosing a “Brighten Star”, “AstrWhorey”, “5 Fartisans”, “Light Lens Larcenists” or pop-up “Junkintrunk” over a Cosina Voigtländer is puzzling. WADR. :cool:
Some wise forumite once said to me, 'Life is too short to shoot with 7TTartisans'. :LOL:

Back