So tell me about the Canon Auto-up...

rpavich

Established
Local time
3:28 PM
Ok, I'm loving this camera so much that I'm contemplating getting rid of my "informal-going-out-to-eat-food photography" camera (Fuji X100T)

The ONLY thing that's holding me back is the minimum focus distance of the R-D1x....the perspective isn't right to me at that distance. I tend to take a lot of wide/close shots in this context.

So, enter the Canon Auto up. I've tried researching and finding all of the info that I could but I'm sketchy on how it attaches to the camera and what I need to make it work.

I have currently:

CV 21mm f/4 (39mm filter size)

CV 35mm f/1.4 (43mm filter size)

Leica 50mm summarit f/2.5 (39mm filter size)

Leica 90mm f/4 (39mm filter size)

As close as I can deduce, it goes around the outside of the lens and has a thumb screw to tighten it. The inside diameter SEEMS to be 40mm....not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

So, enter the Canon Auto up. I've tried researching and finding all of the info that I could but I'm sketchy on how it attaches to the camera and what I need to make it work. ...

There were a number of "Auto-up" attachments made for various cameras back in the day. The Canon Auto Up, like its brethren, attached to a specific lens and work with a specific camera body or series of nearly identical bodies. Most of these were made for fixed lens 35mm RF cameras, but they existed for other formats and for interchangeable lens cameras.

The Auto-Up consists of a close up lens that attaches to the lens which have mounted on it a pair of prisms that adapt the VF and RF to the new focusing range. In general, they work with only the one lens and body combination that they are designed for. The VF and RF prisms are specific to the placement of the matching VF and RF windows on the body and the distance from the body to the front of the lens where the attachment mounts.

It may do what you want it to although your x100 with the evf for composing will be more accurate.

I owned a Canon 50mm f1.9 with the auto up. It worked great on the RD1 as the windows all lined up.
Here is the only sample I have published.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/showphoto.php?photoid=169755
Canon Auto up on On Seranar 50mm f1.9 shot wide open on RD1 at iso 800
U29969I1319841689.SEQ.0.jpg

It may do what you want it to although your x100 with the evf for composing will be more accurate.

I owned a Canon 50mm f1.9 with the auto up. It worked great on the RD1 as the windows all lined up.
Here is the only sample I have published.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/showphoto.php?photoid=169755
Canon Auto up on On Seranar 50mm f1.9 shot wide open on RD1 at iso 800

Yeah..I guess that's the answer, but it's disappointing. I was hoping to not have to drag my other "less fun" camera out with me.

The x100 is my favorite digital camera. I don't even have the T like you do.
Mine is the lowly original. It's as fun as digital gets ! :p

I also had the Canon 50/1.9 and matching Auto-Up. I still have the lens but traded off the Auto-Up as it was too bulky to carry and too fiddly to use.

I also have the Nikon HC 5cm/f2 ltm with close focus range that I use on my Sony a6000 for digital (including close up photos) and a Nicca 3-S for film. The rangefinder won't work for the close focus range but I don't use it for film close-ups anyway.

Yeah..I guess that's the answer, but it's disappointing. I was hoping to not have to drag my other "less fun" camera out with me.

You might consider using a simple closeup lens and a piece of string. Simply knot the string at the appropriate lengths for the lens+closeup when the lens is set to various focusing distances, (e.g. infinity, 6', minimum, ...). You could also use marks on you neckstrap. Size the string or neckstrap markings so that the marks or knots are held at the edge of the field of view. You'll still have to correct for parallax error by guess, but that shouldn't be too hard with a little practice.

You might consider using a simple closeup lens and a piece of string. Simply knot the string at the appropriate lengths for the lens+closeup when the lens is set to various focusing distances, (e.g. infinity, 6', minimum, ...). You could also use marks on you neckstrap. Size the string or neckstrap markings so that the marks or knots are held at the edge of the field of view. You'll still have to correct for parallax error by guess, but that shouldn't be too hard with a little practice.

I was wondering about that. Since I like "wide/close" I don't need "really close" in fact...just reducing the MFD by half would do it for me.

When I used a Canon and Macro 100mm lens, the closest I shot was 1:2.

And with my X100T and it's 35mm equiv field of view, I'd say that I was 10" away from the food.

I'll see if i can buy a cheap close up lens and give it a go.

Your 21/4 Skopar focuses down to 0.5m - maybe just stop down, scale focus and use the 21mm's larger dof to cover errors?

Actually, that worked.

I happened to have a 5+ adapter for another camera so I held it to the front of the 35mm lens, and braced the camera (long shutter speed due to small f/stop) and it did really well. It's TOO close of course but it proves out the method.

I ordered a 1+, 2+, 3+ kit from B&H so I'm bound to find one that's suitable.

I think that this could work. I'm more than willing to do a few test shots and chimp for this purpose.

19015289064_464194155f_h.jpg

Your 21/4 Skopar focuses down to 0.5m - maybe just stop down, scale focus and use the 21mm's larger dof to cover errors?

That's a pretty good idea too.

I hadn't realized I could do this.

Thanks for the info.

This is the color skopar 21/4 with the close up lens held to it and eyeball-focused.
19450226520_2445a4e34a_h.jpg

Actually, that worked.

It should. It's why the Minox "safety chain" has beads on it. The fob at the end (has a slot to fit your vest's buttons) and each bead correspond to one of the marked focusing distances on the camera's focusing dial.

I'd never heard of the Canon Auto-Up attachment before coming across this thread. I currently own the Canon 50mm 1.8 rangefinder lens for use with my RD-1. I checked KEH today and found they had the Canon Auto-Up designed specifically for my Canon lens, in "Excellent" condition (with leather case!) for $29.00. I ordered it. I'll report back on how well it works after it arrives in a week or two.

The Canon Auto-Up will work with any lens that has a 42mm outer diameter or smaller. I have used it successfully with my 39mm filter size lenses:

CV 21/4
CV 28 / 3.5
CV 35 / 2.5
Leica 50mm Summicron Collapsible
CV 50mm Heliar f/2
CV 75mm f/2.5
Leica 90mm f/4 Elmar

Works with the Cosina Bessa R,
Leica IIIF and IIIG
Leica M (such as M3, etc).

So, the adapter works with just about anything, not just the Canon 50mm f/1.9 lens.
Ironically, the only camera it won't work on is the Canon 7s :bang:
The metal frame of the prism blocks the RF on the 7s.

How about that ! :D

I had never tried to be honest.
It's a quality bit of glass and focus was always accurate for me (framing needed a bit of chimping "film" for the rd1 was cheap so no biggy).

The Canon Auto-Up will work with any lens that has a 42mm outer diameter or smaller. I have used it successfully with my 39mm filter size lenses:

CV 21/4
CV 28 / 3.5
CV 35 / 2.5
Leica 50mm Summicron Collapsible
CV 50mm Heliar f/2
CV 75mm f/2.5
Leica 90mm f/4 Elmar

Works with the Cosina Bessa R,
Leica IIIF and IIIG
Leica M (such as M3, etc).

So, the adapter works with just about anything, not just the Canon 50mm f/1.9 lens.
Ironically, the only camera it won't work on is the Canon 7s :bang:
The metal frame of the prism blocks the RF on the 7s.
That's great to hear...based on that information I also just bought one from keh

I don't know how much you guys are paying for your Auto - Ups. They also made a "universal" model for any lens / camera. I happen to have an extra one (mint condition) that I put up on the big auction site for $15 with free shipping.

Back