So tell me about the Canon Auto-up...

There are actually two Auto-Ups for the Canon 1.8/50 LTM. The first one is for the range of 40"-22", while the II is for 20"-15".

I shot this with the II.

13247759593_9687db1ab5_z.jpg

Weathered Fence by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Here is what they look like on a Canon P, and in their case.

14440120783_d25736f392_z.jpg

Canon Auto-Up Sets by P F McFarland, on Flickr

I highly recommend getting the matching cases, as they really need the protection.

PF

I don't know how much you guys are paying for your Auto - Ups. They also made a "universal" model for any lens / camera. I happen to have an extra one (mint condition) that I put up on the big auction site for $15 with free shipping.
Interested
Pm'd

I don't know how much you guys are paying for your Auto - Ups. They also made a "universal" model for any lens / camera. I happen to have an extra one (mint condition) that I put up on the big auction site for $15 with free shipping.

Bargain prices on both of mine, Robert. I'm a bottom feeder.

PF

The Auto-up works differently than the Nookie. It adds a magnifying lens in front of the regular lens. The Nookie increases the distance from the lens to the film plane ("bellows" on larger cameras). Both allow focusing closer up. I'd rather not add more glass to my lenses, so I'd prefer the Nookie, basically an extension tube with magnifiers for the rangefinders.

I'd never heard of the Canon Auto-Up attachment before coming across this thread. I currently own the Canon 50mm 1.8 rangefinder lens for use with my RD-1. I checked KEH today and found they had the Canon Auto-Up designed specifically for my Canon lens, in "Excellent" condition (with leather case!) for $29.00. I ordered it. I'll report back on how well it works after it arrives in a week or two.

I just received from KEH (quite quickly) my Canon Auto-Up for my Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and tried it out briefly on my RD-1 without a tripod. (I intend to work with it further with a tripod.) Anyway, it works fine with the RD-1, the attached prism aligns perfectly with the RD-1's viewfinder and with it the RD-1's RF focusing mechanism seems to have worked flawlessly. I got good, sharp snaps -- and this being hand-held. Not a bad deal for $29 (plus shipping)!

I just received from KEH (quite quickly) my Canon Auto-Up for my Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and tried it out briefly on my RD-1 without a tripod. (I intend to work with it further with a tripod.) Anyway, it works fine with the RD-1, the attached prism aligns perfectly with the RD-1's viewfinder and with it the RD-1's RF focusing mechanism seems to have worked flawlessly. I got good, sharp snaps -- and this being hand-held. Not a bad deal for $29 (plus shipping)!

Same here. The KEH one worked great.

Back