Sonnar Formula Lenses: Any Focal Length, Any Make, Any Mount, Any Camera

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
2:08 AM
Post your pictures taken with Any Sonnar Formula Lens.

Starting this off with a 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 13.5cm F4 converted to Leica mount using a J-11 focus mount. The minimum focus distance on the J-11 is ~6ft, and focus with this lens is accurate across range.

L1020945.jpgL1020948.jpgL1020955.jpgL1020983.jpgL1020994.jpgL1020936.jpg

Rollei 35S (Does that count as a Sonnar ?), HP5+, Blazinal 1:50

View attachment 4823505

View attachment 4823506
Yes it does! That's the "S"!
A Sonnar Formula Lens is an Asymmetric design, a Telephoto front section followed by a well corrected astigmat of about the same focal lens of the completed lens. The frnt section "about" 2.5x the focal length of the completed lens. The Sonnar formula lens is in the Rollei 35S and even the Rollei 126 instamatic with a 4 element lens.

Nikon F2AS, Kodak Gold 200, Nikkor P.C. 10.5cm, the rare early 9-bladed version (serial no. < 124xxx). I find this lens does not have the typical Sonnar traits we know from shorter Sonnar lenses. The Bokeh is a little swirly at times and football shaped rather than comet shaped as @Sonnar Brian calls it. Nonetheless I like this lens, I have it in F mount and in LTM. Admittedly though, I do not use it very often. But who likes to sell lenses?!

DSCF2124-2.jpg

Last edited:
L1005864.jpgL1005873.jpg

Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, wide-open. Bought dirt-cheap, was missing the rear element. I guessed at a close-enough replacement from Surplus Shack, and use a Jupiter-3 retaining ring- which was perfect.

I think the "Football Swirlies" are some residual astigmatism. The Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 is under-corrected for spherical aberration, and has good flatness of field. Sirlies are the trade-off.

7Artisans 35mm f/2 (1st version). It isn't very sharp, especially in the corners, though it has ample contrast. It is the only 35mm Sonnar I've ever seen aside from the one in the Nikon L35AF (are there others?). Sweet little lens, smooth, and it can be had for peanuts. I paid a measly $125 for mine.

2022-042-23.jpg

2022-054-31.jpg

ZO 85/2 Sonnar, on a Contax IIa. Thanksgiving 2006. Pumbu, queen of all dogs, according to her owner.

ZO 85/2 Sonnar, on a Contax IIa. Thanksgiving 2006. The inspiration for my avatar, Dex the dog

Sweet doggos! Do post more from the Opton Sonnar 85, there aren't many images online with that lens. It's supposed to be the pinnacle of the Contax mount portrait lenses.

7Artisans 35mm f/2 (1st version). It isn't very sharp, especially in the corners, though it has ample contrast. It is the only 35mm Sonnar I've ever seen aside from the one in the Nikon L35AF (are there others?). Sweet little lens, smooth, and it can be had for peanuts. I paid a measly $125 for mine.

View attachment 4823545

View attachment 4823544
I hadn't thought this was a Sonnar design... Interesting... My wallet really didn't need to know this :ROFLMAO:

Edit:

Some snooping online indicates that only the 1st version is a Sonnar design. The second version changed the optical design, adding an element and a group and changing the physical layout of the lens quite a bit. At least I know what to look for :)

Last edited:
I hadn't thought this was a Sonnar design... Interesting... My wallet really didn't need to know this :ROFLMAO:

Edit:

Some snooping online indicates that only the 1st version is a Sonnar design. The second version changed the optical design, adding an element and a group and changing the physical layout of the lens quite a bit. At least I know what to look for :)

Hence the (version 1) in the description. :) Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Look for the one that looks like a Summicron. It handles just like the Summicron too. From behind the camera you won't be able to tell the difference.

I should probably buy another 35mm before peeps catch on. I guess the 35mm has been around since 2017 but I just found out about them last year and it was an instant decision. 35mm Sonnar? I have to get one of those! Shame they don't make LTM lenses. It would be perfect on my Canon 7. The 35mm opened my eyes to the Chinese lenses. I subsequently picked up a 7A 50 1.1 for $150 (Sonnar as well). So cheap.

Back