Sonnar Formula Lenses: Any Focal Length, Any Make, Any Mount, Any Camera

Nikkor rangefinder lens 85mm f2.

Note the slight touch of swirl in the bokeh in the first image. I was not expecting this at all, but it is attractive.
Mine is a chrome version (they were also produced in black and chrome livery) but all had the same optical design (with maybe changes to the coatings.) It is a really beautiful lens though heavy. I also have the 105mm f2.5 (also a Sonnar) and if anything, probably like it a little mroe than this lens though only by a whisker.)

Street Scene by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Street snack by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Mystery Girl by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

I just was given a nice computer, so I can play comfortably with digital pictures again...

In the past I bought for not much a crate (!) with lots of Hasselblad 1000f optics and a body. The body is gummed up of course, but the lenses can be used on a Pentacon Six with a simple adapter. From the P6 mount lots of adapters for Nikon, Canon, Visoflex, etc can be added.

So I just looked at a quick test picture with a Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135:

IMG_20230904_142644.jpg

fully open (3.5)
DSC_7205.jpg

DSC_7205-1.jpg

DSC_7205-2.jpg

5.6:

DSC_7206.jpg

DSC_7206-1.jpg

DSC_7206-2.jpg

Now that I have a working P6 I will have to test it on film (on the D800 it is a hassle to focus). It should be lovely!

Next candidate for a test : an 1954 Sonnar 180 which also covers 6x6 (same lens was made later for P6 with an auto aperture) ; those rear mounts were modular and some custom P6 mounts were made back then, like this one, with the heaviest machined hood I ever saw.

IMG_20230904_142803.jpg

Hi Boojum,

Sorry, no. It's in an Italian roof top restaurant in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

Bill

The sugar dispenser is the same as used in France which is why I asked. I have never seen one anywhere else but France. I gotta get out more often. ;o)

The sugar dispenser is the same as used in France which is why I asked. I have never seen one anywhere else but France. I gotta get out more often. ;o)
They're pretty common around Europe at least. You typically see ones exactly like that in cheap "greasy spoon" cafés in England, for instance.

They're pretty common around Europe at least. You typically see ones exactly like that in cheap "greasy spoon" cafés in England, for instance.

I can't control myself, so forgive me, but I had to jump on this just to be snarky, I don't hang around greasy spoons in England. ROTFLMAO Actually I did hit some dicey chippies in Scotland back when it was 2s 6d with a 6d extra chips. ;o) I had only seen this dispenser in France, in the early 60's. No offense, I just had to be naughty. LOL Live and learn, that sugar dispenser is common throughout the world now. I do really gotta get out more. I am making plans to visit Nevada on US 50, "The Loneliest Road in America." It is high desert and quite beautiful, at least to me. Prepare to be bored with high desert landscapes. But no classy sugar dispensers. I have never seen them here in the US & A. I just checked Amazon and while they have a lot of sugar dispensers with spouts none of them have the inside tube which acts as a measure. We are behind the rest of the world on this one. Can't get a good fish supper, either, not at 2s 6d or any price. Maybe we just don't have the tatties and that good North Sea Cod or similar. And those frying vats of suet, black as tar. Lord what great eats. Wrapped in brown paper and newspaper and still piping hot when you get them home, to have with "a nice cuppa tea." It was a long time ago but I can still taste those Friday fish suppers. They were smashing. ;o)

View attachment 4826458

Bertele Sonnar, wide-open on the M9.
Brian,

Do you find that the Bertele is both more contrasty and slightly darker than the uncoated 5cm f2 Sonnar? With the uncoated Sonnar when processing for dehaze in capture One I typically need to increase exposure by 3/4 stop.

Note: I did not do it in the glass shot as there was no haze problem.

Bill

Back