Sonnar Formula Lenses: "Normal Lenses" 40mm to 60mm, 4cm to 6cm, Any Make

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
9:30 AM
Post your images with Sonnar Formula Lneses, "Normal Range" focal length. Images from one lens, images comparing lenses.

Zeiss, Nikon, Canon, KMZ, ZOMZ, Valdai, 7artisans, Tanack, Fuji, and I'll add here as they pop up.

Starting this off with the first one I converted to Leica Thread Mount,

This is with my 1935 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5.

All wide-open.
buckets_1935_sonnar_f15.jpgL1000861.jpgL1000862.jpg

1959 ZOMZ Jupiter-3, wide-open on the Bessa R2.

I gave this lens to Tom A. He did not have a J-3.

View attachment 4823476View attachment 4823477View attachment 4823478

I always like your old film images, Brian. I understand that an un-edited digital file will tell you more about a lens and its character than a scanned film photograph. The scanner, software and settings will always add some level of interpretation. But the aesthetic of film is unmatched to my eye. It's also what all these lenses were build for.

I think that most Sonnar leases are at their prettiest stopped down one stop. It leaves some of the character, but more nuanced, less raw. And the Bokeh smoothes out nicely this way.

Lastly, I like the idea of these two new threads for Sonnar lenses. I surely will contribute, I shoot about 60% of my images on some sort of Sonnar.

From a drive in the countryside the other day. Nikkor 50/2, I believe the first and last were at f/2, the second a f/2.8 and the third at f/4.

L1008516.jpg

L1008522.jpg

L1008525.jpg
L1008536.jpg

I'm quite fond of that last location, I'm going to keep working on it with different lenses and times of year I think. I'm looking forward to autumn and deep winter...

(edit: they seem much brighter in ART on my desktop than they do uploaded here. Interesting...)

Last edited:
53015603168_b0cf296352_c.jpg

Brian, Thank you for starting this thread!! I don’t often shoot my Sonnar lenses wide open; I usually stop down one or two stops. But I believe the still life in workshop photo above was shot wide open with the CZJ Sonnar.

Back