Sony a6000 First Impressions at dpreview

The A6000 EVF has a .046 second shutter lag, which is very bad.

http://youtu.be/GXi2n1Nt_08?t=3m40s

Actually, most professional DSLRs cannot do much better than that. The recent Canon 1-series bodies are rated for somewhere around 0.03-0.04s lag. You'll likely find much worse lag on most consumer DSLRs, as well pretty much any mirrorless camera that lacks a physical front curtain.

Actually, most professional DSLRs cannot do much better than that. The recent Canon 1-series bodies are rated for somewhere around 0.03-0.04s lag. You'll likely find much worse lag on most consumer DSLRs, as well pretty much any mirrorless camera that lacks a physical front curtain.

Calling it shutter was incorrect, its actually display lag. what you see in the EVE is 0.046 seconds after the real event. This is more serious than shutter lag because if you're looking through an OVF you see everything in exact real life and you can control when to click and the shutter lag does not become an issue.

With an EVF what you see in the finder is not real time and that combined with the inevitable shutter lag of most mirror less means, missed action.

As a Nex 6 user I find focus peaking has become a bit if a red herring.

Great when you first start using the camera and very, very clever but soon supplanted by the ability to enlarge the image for detail focusing. Mind you, I still use it when trying to be quick.

Not knocking it though, just making an observation.

A few comments on my experiences with the A6000:

I had been using a NEX-5n with good results. I like composing with the swing-out LCD for available light informal portraits, like shooting in the dining room or the living room. I did so with legacy lenses using focus peaking. I also have the Sony 50 f/1.8 which i think is quite good.

I went to the A6000 for a more modern sensor. it's a nice step up from the NEX-5n for what I do with it. Using manual focus legacy lenses with focus peaking works very well, about the same as with the NEX-5n. Low light performance is better. Swing-out LCD is nice. The menu system is a complete change and much better than the NEX-5n. As, I think, with all EVFs, this one is fine for still subjects, no good for moving subjects.

FWIW, I am quite happy with the A6000.

As a Nex 6 user I find focus peaking has become a bit if a red herring.

Great when you first start using the camera and very, very clever but soon supplanted by the ability to enlarge the image for detail focusing. Mind you, I still use it when trying to be quick...

I agree about quick vs precise. Focus peaking on the normal view is quick and quite good. I use it for shooting wide open indoor portraits with f/1.4 or f/1.8 primes. I don't think it's a red herring.

The focus magnification is better, when you have time for it.

Back